Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
Greg06GT
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0 View Post
Auto's come with a trans cooler built in. I know because I ordered a trans cooler when I was replacing my wounded stock transmission. When my mechanic went under the car to install it, he came across the stock cooler, wedged between the radiator, and A/C condenser. Funny thing is, it's actually bigger than the mishimoto unit. I just let him keep the mishimoto cooler for himself for any future project he came across.

I honestly didn't know the thing existed. Kind of deceptive marketing by americanmuscle putting that trans cooler in the 05-09 mustang catalog...

So you bought one and never put it on after discovering the stock one? I guess it's possible to run 2, but if theres already one doing the job...

Before your trans went was it getting really hot? I assume you had the 5r55s?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Satin Silver 06 GT 4.6l 3v, Roush hood scoop, shorty antenna, headlight covers, light and corners tint, window tint all around, C&L CAI 93 race tuned by bama, Steeda under drive pulleys, moto blue rs ab's, summit OR H, frpp 4:10 gears, steeda ultralites springs, bmr panhard bar, cmdp's, FANBLADES!!!
Greg06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #22
JCON
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT Convertible

Greg FYI, before my GT I had a v6 with the 5R55 and it was always warm to the touch after driving. Now that I think about it.

270rwhp 292rwtq - 4/21/12 - Stock 87 octane + 4.10's
283rwhp 296rwtq - 4/20/13 - Exhaust 87 octane + 4.10's
330rwhp 336rwtq - 4/19/14 - Intake, P&P TB, CMDP's, UDP's, LT's, O/R ProChamber, 4.10's + 93 tune
JCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:11 AM   #23
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg06GT View Post
Alright thanks for that info. I'll find the DIY and go from there.

808 you seem to push that 5r55 hard. No issues with it?
Two years of racing it, one of those with the blower and no issues. Lots of hot laps too. I put in a scan gauge so I can monitor the trans temp at the track. I dont think I have ever hit 180`. Having the deep pan with the extra gallon of fluid helps keep it cooler too. Keep her full of fluid and have a good tune and you will be fine.

I have read where downshifting the trans two gears is what can be damaging.....ie full throttle stab when in fifth and it switches to third. Not good. On the street, I dont abuse my car at all, sure I spin the tires some and enjoy runs up to 60 mph just no abuse.

06 Satin Silver GT - Auto...ROUSH M90 CAI, 4.10s,Truetrac, Detroit Rockers, DSS DS, BMR Loop, TCI Rachet Shifter, PA Deep Pan, GT500 Spoiler, FR P Springs, Strange Shocks/Struts, J&M UCA/LCA, SS Lines/ EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors w/Reds, Mickey Thompson SC5, Nitto 255/305, 2011 leather, Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, MBRP Resonators, Borla

2011 NHRA Sportsman Class Hawaii State Champion
12.23 @ 113 mph

04 Black SRT/10 Vipertruck....4.88's and all the other good stuff
808muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #24
Greg06GT
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCON View Post
Greg FYI, before my GT I had a v6 with the 5R55 and it was always warm to the touch after driving. Now that I think about it.
Good to know. If its normal I won't worry too much about it.
Satin Silver 06 GT 4.6l 3v, Roush hood scoop, shorty antenna, headlight covers, light and corners tint, window tint all around, C&L CAI 93 race tuned by bama, Steeda under drive pulleys, moto blue rs ab's, summit OR H, frpp 4:10 gears, steeda ultralites springs, bmr panhard bar, cmdp's, FANBLADES!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #25
Greg06GT
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808muscle View Post
Two years of racing it, one of those with the blower and no issues. Lots of hot laps too. I put in a scan gauge so I can monitor the trans temp at the track. I dont think I have ever hit 180`. Having the deep pan with the extra gallon of fluid helps keep it cooler too. Keep her full of fluid and have a good tune and you will be fine.

I have read where downshifting the trans two gears is what can be damaging.....ie full throttle stab when in fifth and it switches to third. Not good. On the street, I dont abuse my car at all, sure I spin the tires some and enjoy runs up to 60 mph just no abuse.
I'll have to look into a deeper pan. Good to know about 5th to 3rd too. I love doing those WOT from 5th and the motor just screams when it downshifts to 3rd and takes off. Guess I'll have to make sure I'm in 4th when going wot.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #26
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg06GT View Post
I'll have to look into a deeper pan. Good to know about 5th to 3rd too. I love doing those WOT from 5th and the motor just screams when it downshifts to 3rd and takes off. Guess I'll have to make sure I'm in 4th when going wot.
Only down side to the deep pan is that it sits lower than the stocker. With a stock suspension its no big deal, but if your lowered it might be a little too low.

06 Satin Silver GT - Auto...ROUSH M90 CAI, 4.10s,Truetrac, Detroit Rockers, DSS DS, BMR Loop, TCI Rachet Shifter, PA Deep Pan, GT500 Spoiler, FR P Springs, Strange Shocks/Struts, J&M UCA/LCA, SS Lines/ EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors w/Reds, Mickey Thompson SC5, Nitto 255/305, 2011 leather, Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, MBRP Resonators, Borla

2011 NHRA Sportsman Class Hawaii State Champion
12.23 @ 113 mph

04 Black SRT/10 Vipertruck....4.88's and all the other good stuff
808muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #27
BrianK
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007,GT, Conv,Windveil Blue/Camel leather

I had the same question about adding a cooler and found out that this car already has an external one. From what I understand most cars don't have an separate external Tx cooler but have a cooler integral to the radiator - so Tx oil lines do come to the front of the vehicle and breaking into them and adding a cooler is relatively easily. I did that with a GMC Envoy I have with good results.
I's still thinking about adding a cooler because like you I also have noticed that the Oil temp (read on my Scan Guage) is hotter than I would like. Maybe a project for this winter. (Like you, I also got 'attitude' with some responses too - but it is your car and adding a cooler is your choice if you feel the oil is getting hotter than you would like. Lowering the Tx oil temp a bit couldn't hurt - but don't go too low otherwise it won't 'cook' the moisture out properly). I don't race or track mine either and the common response is that these cars don't need a separate cooler.
I also added a dipstick to mine which makes DIY Tx oil changes much easier and I can have a look at the oil whenever I want.

Last edited by BrianK; 12-10-2013 at 06:46 PM.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #28
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang GT/CS

When I modded my 5R55S I bought this B&M Cooler, but I have not installed it yet.

GT/CS Auto – Mods Courtesy: AeroForce, Agent 47, Air Lift Performance, AM, American Racing Headers, Anzo, ATI, Auto Meter, Axle Exchange, Baer, BMR, Canton, Cervini's, CPC, Circle D Specialties, DaSilva Racing, DiabloSport, FRPP, JLT Perf, Fore, Magnaflow, Maximum Motorsports, M&H, Meziere, Moroso, MT, Nitto, Performance Automatic, Pioneer, Royal Purple, Russell, SCT, SHR, Shelby Perf Parts, SOS, Stack Racing, Steeda, StopTech, TA Perf, TCI Auto, TSS, UPR, & Vortech. View Garage for mods.
Scott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:08 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
09, 2005, advertisements, classified, clloer, cooler, manual, mustang, online, overheating, performance, powered, s197, transmission, v6, vbulletin