Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

s197 Transmission Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Greg06GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
Auto's come with a trans cooler built in. I know because I ordered a trans cooler when I was replacing my wounded stock transmission. When my mechanic went under the car to install it, he came across the stock cooler, wedged between the radiator, and A/C condenser. Funny thing is, it's actually bigger than the mishimoto unit. I just let him keep the mishimoto cooler for himself for any future project he came across.

I honestly didn't know the thing existed. Kind of deceptive marketing by americanmuscle putting that trans cooler in the 05-09 mustang catalog...

So you bought one and never put it on after discovering the stock one? I guess it's possible to run 2, but if theres already one doing the job...

Before your trans went was it getting really hot? I assume you had the 5r55s?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:33 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Greg FYI, before my GT I had a v6 with the 5R55 and it was always warm to the touch after driving. Now that I think about it.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:11 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Greg06GT
Alright thanks for that info. I'll find the DIY and go from there.

808 you seem to push that 5r55 hard. No issues with it?
Two years of racing it, one of those with the blower and no issues. Lots of hot laps too. I put in a scan gauge so I can monitor the trans temp at the track. I dont think I have ever hit 180`. Having the deep pan with the extra gallon of fluid helps keep it cooler too. Keep her full of fluid and have a good tune and you will be fine.

I have read where downshifting the trans two gears is what can be damaging.....ie full throttle stab when in fifth and it switches to third. Not good. On the street, I dont abuse my car at all, sure I spin the tires some and enjoy runs up to 60 mph just no abuse.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Greg06GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
Greg FYI, before my GT I had a v6 with the 5R55 and it was always warm to the touch after driving. Now that I think about it.
Good to know. If its normal I won't worry too much about it.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Greg06GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Two years of racing it, one of those with the blower and no issues. Lots of hot laps too. I put in a scan gauge so I can monitor the trans temp at the track. I dont think I have ever hit 180`. Having the deep pan with the extra gallon of fluid helps keep it cooler too. Keep her full of fluid and have a good tune and you will be fine.

I have read where downshifting the trans two gears is what can be damaging.....ie full throttle stab when in fifth and it switches to third. Not good. On the street, I dont abuse my car at all, sure I spin the tires some and enjoy runs up to 60 mph just no abuse.
I'll have to look into a deeper pan. Good to know about 5th to 3rd too. I love doing those WOT from 5th and the motor just screams when it downshifts to 3rd and takes off. Guess I'll have to make sure I'm in 4th when going wot.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:11 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Greg06GT
I'll have to look into a deeper pan. Good to know about 5th to 3rd too. I love doing those WOT from 5th and the motor just screams when it downshifts to 3rd and takes off. Guess I'll have to make sure I'm in 4th when going wot.
Only down side to the deep pan is that it sits lower than the stocker. With a stock suspension its no big deal, but if your lowered it might be a little too low.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:44 PM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

I had the same question about adding a cooler and found out that this car already has an external one. From what I understand most cars don't have an separate external Tx cooler but have a cooler integral to the radiator - so Tx oil lines do come to the front of the vehicle and breaking into them and adding a cooler is relatively easily. I did that with a GMC Envoy I have with good results.
I's still thinking about adding a cooler because like you I also have noticed that the Oil temp (read on my Scan Guage) is hotter than I would like. Maybe a project for this winter. (Like you, I also got 'attitude' with some responses too - but it is your car and adding a cooler is your choice if you feel the oil is getting hotter than you would like. Lowering the Tx oil temp a bit couldn't hurt - but don't go too low otherwise it won't 'cook' the moisture out properly). I don't race or track mine either and the common response is that these cars don't need a separate cooler.
I also added a dipstick to mine which makes DIY Tx oil changes much easier and I can have a look at the oil whenever I want.

Last edited by BrianK; 12-10-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:08 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

When I modded my 5R55S I bought this B&M Cooler, but I have not installed it yet.

Name:  IMG_2877.jpg
Views: 2341
Size:  120.0 KB