Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Engine died and seized

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
cstich08
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2005 mustang
Location: TX
Posts: 41
Default Engine died and seized

For starters, my car is an 05 gt with about 85k miles on it with only a CAI and brenspeed SCT tune on the engine.
Yesterday I was driving across campus, low rpm casual city driving and all of a sudden there was a horrible noise from the engine bay, almost sounded like I'd run over something that crunched. I can't really describe it any better because it was obviously unexpected. Following the noise the RPMs fell to around 300 and the engine sounded like it was running on one cylinder with very intermittent ignition and a "glug" sound between cylinder fires. It kept running that way until I turned it off about 20 second later. There were no leaks coming from anywhere and no visible damage. When I tried to restart it, it turned over but didn't come even close to starting. After that I tried reflashing the ecu to stock because my car has had issues starting on the new tune before. When I turned it over again it still didn't start. I decided to try once more which is when I heard a metallic thud that resonates through the engine. I left it alone after that.

As a note I've been hearing a clicking sound coming from the bay for a little while now that changes frequency with RPM and I thought it had been getting worse but dismissed it as me just being a hypochondriac. I gues it did get worse.

Sorry for such a long post but any help figuring out what's going on would be greatly appreciated.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
cstich08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
JCON
5th Gear Member
 
JCON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT Convertible
Location: Delaware
Posts: 2,204
Default

What oil do you use? Last change? Ambient air temp? Did Air temp affect loudness of clicking? Ever have a water pump leak or failure? Any other major systems repaired or replaced? Did said clicking or horrendous noise start after a hard downshift? Still no sign of any leaking or smoke from exhaust? Any other unusual things going on lately?

Open your oil cap, see any metallic shavings or pieces in there?

Take air intake off and look in manifold any in there?

Can you take the valve covers off? Check for damage there.
__________________
Like Mid-Atlantic Mustangs on Facebook
Mid-Atlantic Mustang's YouTube Channel

270rwhp 292rwtq - 4/21/12 - Stock 87 octane + 4.10's
283rwhp 296rwtq - 4/20/13 - Exhaust 87 octane + 4.10's
330rwhp 336rwtq - 4/19/14 - Intake, P&P TB, CMDP's, UDP's, LT's, O/R ProChamber, 4.10's + 93 tune
JCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
JRC702
1st Gear Member
 
JRC702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT
Location: Nevada
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstich08 View Post
For starters, my car is an 05 gt with about 85k miles on it with only a CAI and brenspeed SCT tune on the engine.
Yesterday I was driving across campus, low rpm casual city driving and all of a sudden there was a horrible noise from the engine bay, almost sounded like I'd run over something that crunched. I can't really describe it any better because it was obviously unexpected. Following the noise the RPMs fell to around 300 and the engine sounded like it was running on one cylinder with very intermittent ignition and a "glug" sound between cylinder fires. It kept running that way until I turned it off about 20 second later. There were no leaks coming from anywhere and no visible damage. When I tried to restart it, it turned over but didn't come even close to starting. After that I tried reflashing the ecu to stock because my car has had issues starting on the new tune before. When I turned it over again it still didn't start. I decided to try once more which is when I heard a metallic thud that resonates through the engine. I left it alone after that.

As a note I've been hearing a clicking sound coming from the bay for a little while now that changes frequency with RPM and I thought it had been getting worse but dismissed it as me just being a hypochondriac. I gues it did get worse.

Sorry for such a long post but any help figuring out what's going on would be greatly appreciated.
A metallic noise when cranking the engine is definitely a bad indication.
I would start with a compression and leakdown test.
JRC702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
cstich08
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2005 mustang
Location: TX
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCON View Post
What oil do you use? Last change? Ambient air temp? Did Air temp affect loudness of clicking? Ever have a water pump leak or failure? Any other major systems repaired or replaced? Did said clicking or horrendous noise start after a hard downshift? Still no sign of any leaking or smoke from exhaust? Any other unusual things going on lately?

Open your oil cap, see any metallic shavings or pieces in there?

Take air intake off and look in manifold any in there?

Can you take the valve covers off? Check for damage there.
I use royal purple last changed less than 2k miles ago. Air temp is around 70. I didn't think to make a connection between temp and the clicking. Never had a water pump failure or leak or issues with the car overheating. It didn't throw any codes. No hard downshift I was very lightly accelerating maybe coasting can't quite remember. Only system I've ever had replaced is the alternator 3 years ago. No smoke ever. And still no leaks. Only thing strange is I thought it may have been down on power lately. nothing else strange.

Didn't see metal shavings on the dipstick. Haven't checked under the oil cap or in the air filter. Maybe I'll try pulling the valve covers off. I had to leave town with a friend this weekend so I'll try to get it done this week
cstich08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
JCON
5th Gear Member
 
JCON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT Convertible
Location: Delaware
Posts: 2,204
Default

That is strange that there are no codes and no signs of any engine problems. Test the battery with a multimeter? Should read ~12V when off and ~14V if running (which doesn't seem to be happening)
__________________
Like Mid-Atlantic Mustangs on Facebook
Mid-Atlantic Mustang's YouTube Channel

270rwhp 292rwtq - 4/21/12 - Stock 87 octane + 4.10's
283rwhp 296rwtq - 4/20/13 - Exhaust 87 octane + 4.10's
330rwhp 336rwtq - 4/19/14 - Intake, P&P TB, CMDP's, UDP's, LT's, O/R ProChamber, 4.10's + 93 tune
JCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
cstich08
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2005 mustang
Location: TX
Posts: 41
Default

It hasn't been having any issues with weak starts and the failure to start doesnt sound like a dead battery. And a dead battery doesn't seem to explain the rest of the strange behavior. I took a video of it trying to start ill try to post it if I can figure out how to do it from my phone
cstich08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
JCON
5th Gear Member
 
JCON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT Convertible
Location: Delaware
Posts: 2,204
Default

I've not seen anyone with a problem but I wonder if your timing chain was clicking on the cover and broke...
__________________
Like Mid-Atlantic Mustangs on Facebook
Mid-Atlantic Mustang's YouTube Channel

270rwhp 292rwtq - 4/21/12 - Stock 87 octane + 4.10's
283rwhp 296rwtq - 4/20/13 - Exhaust 87 octane + 4.10's
330rwhp 336rwtq - 4/19/14 - Intake, P&P TB, CMDP's, UDP's, LT's, O/R ProChamber, 4.10's + 93 tune
JCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
moosestang
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 11,278
Default

Have you tried turning the motor by hand?
__________________
Boost or Buell, decisions, decisions.

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
DTMR
2nd Gear Member
 
DTMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Vehicle: 2008 s197 GT
Location: NJ
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstich08 View Post
I use royal purple last changed less than 2k miles ago. Air temp is around 70. I didn't think to make a connection between temp and the clicking. Never had a water pump failure or leak or issues with the car overheating. It didn't throw any codes. No hard downshift I was very lightly accelerating maybe coasting can't quite remember. Only system I've ever had replaced is the alternator 3 years ago. No smoke ever. And still no leaks. Only thing strange is I thought it may have been down on power lately. nothing else strange.

Didn't see metal shavings on the dipstick. Haven't checked under the oil cap or in the air filter. Maybe I'll try pulling the valve covers off. I had to leave town with a friend this weekend so I'll try to get it done this week
you're the second guy i know who seized their engine with royal purple oil, I don't trust that stuff
__________________
2008 Alloy Metallic GT SLP Ceramic Long Tube Headers, SLP X-Pipe, Borla Stinger S-Type Catback Exhaust, Steeda Carbon Fiber CAI, FRPP Manifold, Moroso Catch Can, MSD Blasters, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, FRPP Blue Valve Covers, Front Strut Bar, CDC Rear Decklid Panel Emblem Delete, 3.90 Motive Gears, Carbon Fiber Disks, Steeda Diff Cover, KW V3 Coilovers, Custom 93 Octane SCT Tune
DTMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
cstich08
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2005 mustang
Location: TX
Posts: 41
Default

With what you've heard what do you expect the damage to be? And how realistic is it to fix? Obviously everything is speculative
cstich08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member
 
Bmitchell373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 395
Default

Ive had bad luck with ryoal purple, after 2k miles got a lifter tick.
__________________
2012 Mustang GT Race Red
JLT Catch can (polished)
.....
.....
.....
Bmitchell373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
DTMR
2nd Gear Member
 
DTMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Vehicle: 2008 s197 GT
Location: NJ
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmitchell373 View Post
Ive had bad luck with ryoal purple, after 2k miles got a lifter tick.
Mobil 1 all the way
DTMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:47 AM   #13
cstich08
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2005 mustang
Location: TX
Posts: 41
Default

I started pulling stuff apart today. I pulled off the air intake and throttle body to get a look in the manifold and low and behold it was full of metal shavings. My best guess at the moment is a broken timing chain? But I'm not positive. Its not looking good
cstich08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:13 AM   #14
JCON
5th Gear Member
 
JCON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT Convertible
Location: Delaware
Posts: 2,204
Default

If you have metal shavings in your intake... there is more going on than just a busted chain (although that could be the start). Did you take pix?

You may just want to have it towed and start looking at forged blocks... short if you have time to build it and long if you have money to drop it in.

For future reference, unless you're prepared to park it for a while. When you hear something terrible coming from the engine, don't try turning it on again. That most likely caused further damage.

Need to get the valve covers and time chain cover off asap and take pix.
__________________
Like Mid-Atlantic Mustangs on Facebook
Mid-Atlantic Mustang's YouTube Channel

270rwhp 292rwtq - 4/21/12 - Stock 87 octane + 4.10's
283rwhp 296rwtq - 4/20/13 - Exhaust 87 octane + 4.10's
330rwhp 336rwtq - 4/19/14 - Intake, P&P TB, CMDP's, UDP's, LT's, O/R ProChamber, 4.10's + 93 tune

Last edited by JCON; 04-09-2012 at 02:17 AM.
JCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #15
cstich08
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2005 mustang
Location: TX
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCON View Post
If you have metal shavings in your intake... there is more going on than just a busted chain (although that could be the start). Did you take pix?

You may just want to have it towed and start looking at forged blocks... short if you have time to build it and long if you have money to drop it in.

For future reference, unless you're prepared to park it for a while. When you hear something terrible coming from the engine, don't try turning it on again. That most likely caused further damage.

Need to get the valve covers and time chain cover off asap and take pix.
Yeah I know there is more damage than just the chain but I meant that I think thats what was the initial problem. I did take a picture, its not a great representation but I'll post it anyways when I get a chance.

The issue for me is time, money and a place to work on it considering I'm in college living on campus.

Yeah I figured It wasn't a great idea but at the same time I wasn't completely sure I'd heard what I had heard because it was sudden and unexpected and because there was no external sign from leakages or internal sign from OBD. Since I had had problems with it coming to a gurgling stop before when I would cold start it on the aftermarket tune I thought I would go ahead and try to restart it. In retrospect, not the greatest decision.

I guess theres no point in taking it to a dealership or mechanic, but thats inevitably what my parents will tell me to do. I figure they'll just tell me to scrap it and get a new car? or would they actually try to fix it?
cstich08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
Simon1
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 4,313
Default

Most likely broke a rocker or lifter or valve and it fell into the cylinder. Then, all hell broke loose.

Prepare to replace your motor. Hopefully the block is good.
Simon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #17
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member
 
stephen1371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 2008 ford mustang gt
Location: ga
Posts: 478
Default

yep sounds gone to me, maybe you can pick up someones stocker. search the web you may be able to find a used one for pretty cheap, but if it was me i would use that money toward going built. wonder if your tune had something to do with it, you did say it had a hard time starting after the tune. to bad its not through a code or you were not running your tunner on data logging
__________________

Never fast enough
stephen1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #18
cstich08
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2005 mustang
Location: TX
Posts: 41
Default

Here is a picture looking into the intake manifold. Hopefully I embed this right. I haven't uploaded any pictures since I did that gear install write up.

Click the image to open in full size.

There's actually a pool of oil in the back of the manifold if you look closely
cstich08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #19
moosestang
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 11,278
Default

The oil is pretty normal if you don't have a catch can.

The whipple intake has a nice place for oil to collect.

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
Boost or Buell, decisions, decisions.

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #20
cstich08
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2005 mustang
Location: TX
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosestang View Post
The oil is pretty normal if you don't have a catch can.
Oh okay I didn't know that. I'm guessing the rest of my manifold contents are still not normal.
cstich08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:01 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Tags
1995, 2005, death, died, engine, ford, forums, gt, left, mustang, noise, popping, shut, siezed, temp, turned, warning

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup