Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #11
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006,Ford, Mustang GT
cavalliturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzcool View Post
5th and 6th are very smooth. The gear shift has a strong centering spring, the shifts are "more solid". I don't really like it in stop/go traffic though (although that could also be the clutch), It seems to have some lugging issues at low RPM (under 2K), particularly 3rd + 4th.

Did a couple things at the same time so it's hard to judge what's/what, plus I'm still getting used to it.
Ok thanks. I have a SPEC3 setup now and it is horrible in traffic.

I drove a car with a RST setup and it was much nicer.

I am going to try to drive a car with this tranny before I buy it.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Comp Turbo TT build in process, Haltech ECU, ID1300's, Fore Return Style, 6sp Magnum,SLP,3" Full Borla,Eaton,moly axles, 14" 2-piece, 1" Rr Sway Bar,BMR Loops-K-Member-Front CA taller ball joint,UMI Adj End Links,Bump Steer Kit,Tokico D-Specs,H&R Race Springs,C/C plates,Rear LCA,UPR Rear LCA brackets,Panhard Rod,Adj UCA,JDM stroker, ford racing stage 3 heads
hollywub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #12
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007, Roush, 427R

Most of the cars that run HPDE and NASA events at Northern Cali tracks like Sears Point, Thunderhill & Laguna-Seca with automatic transmissions have custom programming to make the trans. perform and live under increased power.
Campo 427R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywub View Post
** Is it transmissioncenter.net or performanceautomatic.com

They both come up when Performance Auto is googled. Thanks!

I was thinking the auto might be less stressful on the driveline as well. I have built 3 AMG's, all autos. The only thing that I didn't like was going into and out of turns. Too much lag...

This is a big decision as I don't have the bank account to "not like it" after its installed...
Here you go. http://www.performanceautomatic.com/

Earl
Old 05-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

cavalliturbo

Thanks everyone. Helpful info. I will post the outcome.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #15
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Vehicle: 06

Quote:
..... Best state in the country. Financial capital of the world.
Oh really, is that why most entrepreneurs find the need to bail out of that State??
Some of us could make the point that NY sucks with its "Up the yangyang" taxes and high cost of living, but we're not since we'd be off topic.

Anyway, as far as road course, an auto won't do and you'll wear your brakes twice as fast that's why you don't see them on those kind of tracks. It's all manual, tiptronic, sequential or whatever but never fully auto.
Also, why would you power shift on a road course unless you plan to only last 3 laps?

When it comes to heavy traffic, an auto makes a lot of sense for sure...
Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #16
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

cavalliturbo

Yeah. You need to make some serious money to live here. A cop and a teacher make about $275k to $300k combined after 10 years on the job. Its insane... If your client base in not on Long Island or the 5 boroughs there is no sense to be here. My real estate taxes, home and flood insurance was 23k a year on a $550k house. Only in NY and CA. Anyway...

I was just looking to see what people are running on their cars if they were modifying the drivetrain. I wasn't sure if the new automatics are up to speed with the MB's and BMW's. I know the GM 6 speeds are pretty decent.

I know I am not sticking with the stock 5speed for sure. I word bet that a few shifts with 18lbs of boost would blow it up pretty quickly.

I meant power shifting at all in any scenario. I admit that I would hit the rev limiter more ofter than not if I left my foot in it. I blip the gas when I shift...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascal View Post
Oh really, is that why most entrepreneurs find the need to bail out of that State??
Some of us could make the point that NY sucks with its "Up the yangyang" taxes and high cost of living, but we're not since we'd be off topic.

Anyway, as far as road course, an auto won't do and you'll wear your brakes twice as fast that's why you don't see them on those kind of tracks. It's all manual, tiptronic, sequential or whatever but never fully auto.
Also, why would you power shift on a road course unless you plan to only last 3 laps?

When it comes to heavy traffic, an auto makes a lot of sense for sure...

Comp Turbo TT build in process, Haltech ECU, ID1300's, Fore Return Style, 6sp Magnum,SLP,3" Full Borla,Eaton,moly axles, 14" 2-piece, 1" Rr Sway Bar,BMR Loops-K-Member-Front CA taller ball joint,UMI Adj End Links,Bump Steer Kit,Tokico D-Specs,H&R Race Springs,C/C plates,Rear LCA,UPR Rear LCA brackets,Panhard Rod,Adj UCA,JDM stroker, ford racing stage 3 heads
Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #17
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

If you want something that will hold up to the power, still be a great DD trans and cost is not a factor then get this setup. http://www.tciauto.com/tc/transmissi...s.html/?main=4

Earl
Old 05-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #18
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

cavalliturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by retfr8flyr View Post
If you want something that will hold up to the power, still be a great DD trans and cost is not a factor then get this setup. http://www.tciauto.com/tc/transmissi...s.html/?main=4

Earl
That is def pretty cool. Seems like $9k after torque convertor and driveshaft. Way over budget... I am going to drive a 6 speed magnum car and an AOD car before I make a purchase. This is too much money to throw around on a whim...

Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #19
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

cavalliturbo

I just spoke to Freddie at FB Transmissions. He is 10 minutes from my house and has a complete 4R70W setup installed for about $6k. Full manual shifting, electronic overdrive switch and lockup.

It is down to this tranny and the 6Speed Tremec Magnum with the 2.62 first. I am going with 3.73's either way.

The entire setup is about the same price for both. Just have to decide if I want to worry about clutches, shifting, traffic... The SPEC3 was unbearable yesterday 70 minutes to go 20 miles.

And am I a good enough driver to react as fast as an Auto without the driveline load and unload of shifting? I am not ashamed to say that I am not... I don't powershift and I hit my rev limiter alot LOL

Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #20
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Quote:
I just spoke to Freddie at FB Transmissions. He is 10 minutes from my house and has a complete 4R70W setup installed for about $6k. Full manual shifting, electronic overdrive switch and lockup.
For a built 4R70W installed, that sounds like a great price. I know guys with a lot more $$ than that in their transmissions.

Whipple-12psi 10 Rib Pulley Kit-McLeod RXT & Steel Flywheel-UPR Rod End LCAs, UCA, Spherical Bearing, Panhard Bar, K-member + Front Swaybar Delete-Metco LCA Relo Brackets-BMR Xtreme Anti Roll-Spydershaft-Race Star Wheels-MGW-PMP Line Locks-Stanghi O/R X-Odyssey 10 lb Battery-Moroso Separator-Eibach Front/CJ Rear Drag Springs-Strange Adjustable Shocks and Struts-MSD 2 Step-etc. 11.29@123 1.59 60'
DRAG RACE? ASK ME ABOUT MY UPR SUSPENSION.
Diabolical! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2011, 2013, auto, magnum, mustang, speed, t56, tranny, xl