Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Underdrive Pulley question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 03:49 AM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

Default Underdrive Pulley question...

I have that "modification itch" and I'm going with the UDP! I have a couple questions.
1. How many accessories are putting parasitic drag on the engine? (A/C, Power steering, and water pump?)
2. How do these accessories run now that the serpentine belt isn't running them?
3. Is my A/C going to work just as good afterwards.

I get the feeling that these are stupid questions but I am a newbie so your advice is greatly appreciated. Also...
4. How much is it to have someone install it instead of doing it myself?
5. BBK?...Steeda?...What do you guys think is the best brand?
6. With my 2006 GT having 49K miles on it, should I replace the serpentine belt as well?
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I have Steeda UDP's on my 06 GT...everything runs fine...as far as the belt...if it is not cracking or showing much wear I would leave it on...i picked up 4 hp on the dyno after installing them...had the shop pop them on...
Old 02-25-2012, 09:23 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

as long as you know how to take the pulleys off and loosen and tighten the auto tensioner you should be fine. pulleys do make a difference and so do the crank dampener. The power steering and A/C do suck a little power out. Steeda is a good brand and I would recommend changing the belt just so you wouldn't have to do it twice (or pay labor twice if you do it at the shop) since the belts already gonna be off.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:27 AM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

I ran the Steeda's for 40,000 miles (pre-blower) and never had any problems. They are also worth 1 to 1.5 mpg. Engine seemed to rev a little more freely.

Frank
Old 02-25-2012, 11:20 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Talking

Thanks for the positive feedback on the Steeda UDP. It is a great product and we have had tremendous positive feedback on it.

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-u...ustang-gt.html

Read even more positive reviews at our website.

Let me know if I can help you out with anything or if you want to place an order?

Thanks

TJ
Old 02-25-2012, 03:19 PM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate your feedback. And if you want to hook me up with a nice price that would be a definite help. Although, I'm still wondering why the hell these things are leeching on to the serpentine belt when they don't really need to be???
Old 02-25-2012, 04:08 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

To answer your questions in the original post:
1- The Air conditioner compressor, water pump, alternator and power steering pump are run by the belt. Along with idlers and the tensioner.
2- The serpentine belt still runs the accessories, just slower by about 25%.
3- Several summers of Texas heat (100 deg.+) showed no affect on the operation of the A/C and nothing abnormal indicated on the water temperature.
4- It will probably take a couple of hours for a mechanic to install them.
5- I had Steeda's, can't say about BBK.
6- Why not replace the belt? It isn't that hard to do at any time. The standard belt is still used.

By turning the accessories slower, the crank pulley has more mechanical advantage over the other pulleys and needs less power to drive them.

Frank
Old 02-26-2012, 10:30 AM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

Wow Frank. Thanks. I appreciate everybody's help.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:00 PM
black2K3GT

Originally Posted by duckbubbles
To answer your questions in the original post:
1- The Air conditioner compressor, water pump, alternator and power steering pump are run by the belt. Along with idlers and the tensioner.
2- The serpentine belt still runs the accessories, just slower by about 25%.
3- Several summers of Texas heat (100 deg.+) showed no affect on the operation of the A/C and nothing abnormal indicated on the water temperature.
4- It will probably take a couple of hours for a mechanic to install them.
5- I had Steeda's, can't say about BBK.
6- Why not replace the belt? It isn't that hard to do at any time. The standard belt is still used.

By turning the accessories slower, the crank pulley has more mechanical advantage over the other pulleys and needs less power to drive them.

Frank

I heard they give you about 5 hp... can you feel the impact ? (quicker revs, etc)
Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

If you wanted to take an accessory off the line completely and free up power, you could get an electric water pump. 5 rwhp is hard to feel on the butt dyno but I would say your should expect faster and smoother revs.

Quick Reply: Underdrive Pulley question...