Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-27-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006,Ford, Mustang GT
cavalliturbo
Default Convert to Best Auto Tranny available or 6speed Magnum?

I am getting my parts together for my Winter project.

I plan on having about 600rwhp.

I have been looking at the new Tremec Magnum 6speed. I am guessing it will hold up, but I have been thinking.

I have never blown up an automatic, I have toasted many a 5 speed.

I seems an automatic is less stressful on a drivetrain compared to power shifting a manual.

Question is this. Is there an automatic that I would be happy with that would be responsive on a road course?

I want to eliminate any chance of breaking anything in my driveline with the new engine.

Any thoughts?

BTW, I can care less about manually shifting, its how responsive the pedal to the pavement a tranny is...

I have a SPEC3 in my car now and it sucks in traffic.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Comp Turbo TT build in process, Haltech ECU, ID1300's, Fore Return Style, 6sp Magnum,SLP,3" Full Borla,Eaton,moly axles, 14" 2-piece, 1" Rr Sway Bar,BMR Loops-K-Member-Front CA taller ball joint,UMI Adj End Links,Bump Steer Kit,Tokico D-Specs,H&R Race Springs,C/C plates,Rear LCA,UPR Rear LCA brackets,Panhard Rod,Adj UCA,JDM stroker, ford racing stage 3 heads
hollywub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
danzcool
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 GT

If you were drag racing, the hands down answer would be a good automatic. On the road course, I'd kind of like to see the answer, I just don't see them being responsive enough to hit the shift when you want it without a paddle shifter.

I have the T56 magnum XL and there are a few things from an installation point of view you may want to be aware of... (1)The replacement crossbrace doesn't have exhaust hangers, so you'll have to weld something on if you want your front exhaust hangers, (2)the instructions are extremely lean, no torque specs. (3)reverse light switch is on passenger side, so a bit of routing. (4)reverse lockout solenoid, the 5 speed doesn't have one, but you will want to wire this up because the effort to push past the lockout is enough to strain your left shoulder, I wired it to the lower switch at the brake pedal, after the switch, and then to ground, the lower switch on the brake pedal is used for brake lights, and they still operate properly after teeing into the downside of the switch.

danzcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

"Winter" project? 600 RWHP? In New York?
Really?
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

cavalliturbo

That is the tranny I am looking at. How does it feel? What is your overall opinion on it? It comes out to about $5500 with a flywheel, clutch setup and driveshaft, so I was hoping to get real world results first.

Thanks for the items to look out for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzcool View Post
If you were drag racing, the hands down answer would be a good automatic. On the road course, I'd kind of like to see the answer, I just don't see them being responsive enough to hit the shift when you want it without a paddle shifter.

I have the T56 magnum XL and there are a few things from an installation point of view you may want to be aware of... (1)The replacement crossbrace doesn't have exhaust hangers, so you'll have to weld something on if you want your front exhaust hangers, (2)the instructions are extremely lean, no torque specs. (3)reverse light switch is on passenger side, so a bit of routing. (4)reverse lockout solenoid, the 5 speed doesn't have one, but you will want to wire this up because the effort to push past the lockout is enough to strain your left shoulder, I wired it to the lower switch at the brake pedal, after the switch, and then to ground, the lower switch on the brake pedal is used for brake lights, and they still operate properly after teeing into the downside of the switch.

Comp Turbo TT build in process, Haltech ECU, ID1300's, Fore Return Style, 6sp Magnum,SLP,3" Full Borla,Eaton,moly axles, 14" 2-piece, 1" Rr Sway Bar,BMR Loops-K-Member-Front CA taller ball joint,UMI Adj End Links,Bump Steer Kit,Tokico D-Specs,H&R Race Springs,C/C plates,Rear LCA,UPR Rear LCA brackets,Panhard Rod,Adj UCA,JDM stroker, ford racing stage 3 heads
Old 05-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

cavalliturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
"Winter" project? 600 RWHP? In New York?
Really?
Uhhh. Winter. Between fall and spring. Time when you do not drive a convertible. 600 rwhp. About the same as a modified GT500. NY. Best state in the country. Financial capital of the world.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywub View Post
Financial capital of the world.
Based on how my portfolio's been performing the past few weeks, I wouldn't brag too hard on that right now, lol.

As for the tranny, I'd go straight to a built 4R70W if I were you. It's on my list of future plans. (Somewhere after "buy built shortblock" and "win lottery".)

Whipple-12psi 10 Rib Pulley Kit-McLeod RXT & Steel Flywheel-UPR Rod End LCAs, UCA, Spherical Bearing, Panhard Bar, K-member + Front Swaybar Delete-Metco LCA Relo Brackets-BMR Xtreme Anti Roll-Spydershaft-Race Star Wheels-MGW-PMP Line Locks-Stanghi O/R X-Odyssey 10 lb Battery-Moroso Separator-Eibach Front/CJ Rear Drag Springs-Strange Adjustable Shocks and Struts-MSD 2 Step-etc. 11.29@123 1.59 60'
DRAG RACE? ASK ME ABOUT MY UPR SUSPENSION.
Diabolical! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

I agree with danzcool. For a drag car the 4R70W is the way to go but for a road track car I'm not sure how well it would work. I would suggest calling the guys at Performance Auto and tell them what you are planning. They should be able to tell you, with conviction, whether a 4R70 would work.

Earl
Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

cavalliturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical! View Post
Based on how my portfolio's been performing the past few weeks, I wouldn't brag too hard on that right now, lol.

As for the tranny, I'd go straight to a built 4R70W if I were you. It's on my list of future plans. (Somewhere after "buy built shortblock" and "win lottery".)
I am right there! But win lottery would bring me the new 2013 Shelby...

Old 05-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

cavalliturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by retfr8flyr View Post
I agree with danzcool. For a drag car the 4R70W is the way to go but for a road track car I'm not sure how well it would work. I would suggest calling the guys at Performance Auto and tell them what you are planning. They should be able to tell you, with conviction, whether a 4R70 would work.

Earl

** Is it transmissioncenter.net or performanceautomatic.com

They both come up when Performance Auto is googled. Thanks!

I was thinking the auto might be less stressful on the driveline as well. I have built 3 AMG's, all autos. The only thing that I didn't like was going into and out of turns. Too much lag...

This is a big decision as I don't have the bank account to "not like it" after its installed...

Last edited by hollywub; 05-27-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
danzcool
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywub View Post
That is the tranny I am looking at. How does it feel? What is your overall opinion on it? It comes out to about $5500 with a flywheel, clutch setup and driveshaft, so I was hoping to get real world results first.

Thanks for the items to look out for.
5th and 6th are very smooth. The gear shift has a strong centering spring, the shifts are "more solid". I don't really like it in stop/go traffic though (although that could also be the clutch), It seems to have some lugging issues at low RPM (under 2K), particularly 3rd + 4th.

Did a couple things at the same time so it's hard to judge what's/what, plus I'm still getting used to it.

danzcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:29 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2011, 2013, auto, magnum, mustang, speed, t56, tranny, xl