Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Rotating assembly

Old 05-29-2012, 07:42 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Even if you intent to go to higher powers on the stock block, do not do so until you're ready to replace the block. Some get away with 400+rwhp for years, while others, like myself, blow their engine on 435 crank horsepower. It all comes down to the tune, how you use it, and a little bit of luck .
I don't think we can count your blown motor. No telling what the previous owner did to it. Also the stock saleen tune was known to be super lean.

I would not raise the rev limiter on these motors. Like you said, it may have been over-rev'd, either from downshifting from too high of speed or changing the limiter. Whipple doesn't change the rev limiter in their tunes, i assume for good reason.

I see a lot of people blowing motors from high speed runs, which I would never do in a car.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:37 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I agree that the previous owner had a lot to do with why it blown. But that's really my point. There is only so much insurance you can implement via conservative power levels and tune. Part of it always comes down to the driver, and a small extent, to luck. I personally wouldn't push 475 rwhp on the stock block unless I could afford to replace said block should the worst happen. At those power levels, it's very easy to hit the rev limiter, especially for an inexperienced driver.

The stock saleen tune was very aggressive, showing 13:1 afr well into boost.

In any event, the power levels the OP wants to hit are probably beyond what anyone is running on their stock block, and I think you've said as much.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:24 PM
RASELHARF

I'm a newbie to this forum(or any forum) and I'm overwhelmed with all of you guys who responded so quickly, I think I'll go with the B302 short block(302 cdi) for around $3900 for the time being till I save some money for the FI, any tips on tranny work?
Thank you all again
Old 05-30-2012, 12:17 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Upgrade the clutch to start. I'm at around 500whp and the stock 5 speed seems to be holding up fine. That said, I don't really run it too hard for the most part.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:51 AM
RASELHARF

I called Brenspeed and they said they dont make B302 anymore, they are coming out with a 326 CID ( hope I got the displacement right and it's cast iron) in a month or so,
does anyone know what the cost is for installing the short block and how many hours will take to do so?
Thx
Old 05-30-2012, 12:00 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RASELHARF
I called Brenspeed and they said they dont make B302 anymore, they are coming out with a 326 CID ( hope I got the displacement right and it's cast iron) in a month or so,
does anyone know what the cost is for installing the short block and how many hours will take to do so?
Thx
Bummer. I know at least the one I have was built from leftover Saleen 302 rotating kits, so perhaps they had a stockpile of those and simply ran out. I'll have to see if I can get any more information on why they quit.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:01 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84304
Old 05-30-2012, 12:52 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Onederful, that link doesn't seem to work unless you're a member.

I emailed Chandler. He said they still make it, but Ford has stopped selling the 3v aluminum block they were using, so they'd need customer cores to do the B302 still.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:36 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

its a link to a JDM 302 stroker short block
they have a sale on it for $3500 for the 1st 10 people to order it.
same as on their website. probly need to contact them on phone or PM for the special price.
reg price for it is around $5k.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

I guess now is the time to buy em' if you can find em'
It appears that Ford (Aluminator), Brenspeed and other companies are moving away from the 4.6L platform.
Sean Hyland Motorsports offers an excellent quality built motor but its at the upper end of the price spectrum.
If and when my motor goes maybe the 5.0 Coyote will be an easy swap and install.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rotating assembly