Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Best tires for Mustang GT 08

Old 08-16-2012, 01:09 PM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

Post Best tires for Mustang GT 08

So I'm about to change my tires : Goodyear G-Force apparently they are the worst, everybody keeps on saying that they are bad tires and it is time to change them anyway!

So I would have liked some advices, so far I have two or three tires that I like:

- Continental Extreme contact DW
- Nitto Extreme performance NT 555
- Michelin Pilot Sport 2

Obviously the Michelin are the best ones but for a DD what would be the best choice Quality/Price?
Old 08-16-2012, 01:11 PM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

Also right now, I have 275-40-18 in the back and 265-35-18 in the front.
Do you think I should change the size or does it seem like a good size to you?

So far, I have a Steeda CAI, 3.73 gears in the car is lowered -1.5"
I don't know if it helps!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:37 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

I've had the Continental DW's on for over15,000 miles and am still impressed with the grip, ride and relative quietness.The size you can run depends on your wheel width. I have 9.5 in. GT500 wheels and run 255/45-18 front and 285/40-18 rear. So far, the Conti's are much better than the Yokohama Advan Sports I had before. Those and the original BFG's are my only experience with tires on this car.

Frank

Last edited by duckbubbles; 08-16-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:55 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

The best tires are not the best for all weather or durability. Advan makes excellent traction tires but they don't last long. Most people go for a balance. Price, durability, traction. A lot of people go with Nitto 555R.

The ultra high performance all seasons seem to be the best over all but cost more. Stay away from Toyo Proxes, I hate mine and would rather have larger Pirelli's again
Old 08-16-2012, 06:53 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

265/35 in the front! Jeesus! You front tires are wider than my back tires.

Any of the summer tires will have great traction. I like the yokohama S. drives.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:22 PM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
The best tires are not the best for all weather or durability. Advan makes excellent traction tires but they don't last long. Most people go for a balance. Price, durability, traction. A lot of people go with Nitto 555R.

The ultra high performance all seasons seem to be the best over all but cost more. Stay away from Toyo Proxes, I hate mine and would rather have larger Pirelli's again
Yeah JCON, since I drive my car daily I was looking for a good compromise like you said : Price, durability, traction.
So far the continental and the nitto seems a very good choice, the michelin too but 100 dollars more per tire... Decision, Decision...

@ moosestang : I was thinking of keeping the same size of tires I have or go to 275/40 all the way around... I love the color of your car by the way!
Old 08-16-2012, 07:46 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I would go to a 245 or 255 front tire. Also look at Bridgestone Potenza (had them before and loved them, wasn't on my Mustang though) or Khumo Ecsta.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:59 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I'm quite happy with the grip of the continentals. The michelin pilot sports are supposed to be really good, but it's more expensive.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:19 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I've heard great things about Sumitomos, and they're dirt cheap, which is good for a college student such as myself. I know you can pick up some 285's on tire rack for under $150.

Sorry, wish I could offer some personal experience, but the only experience I have is my fantastic stock dry rotting pirellis that are getting replaced come spring time.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:32 PM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

JCON why do you think I should go any smaller in the front? I would think the wider, the better ... (I won't say "that's what she said" XD Sorry...)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best tires for Mustang GT 08