Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

built engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Steve349

Default built engine

so i have almost zero experience with performance cars but I want to build up my engine from the ground up, where should I start to make sure the engine and its compents can handle huge horsepower and some serious boost? 4.6 3v with 20,000k miles right now I'm sitting with a cold air, sct tuner, borla stingers, and am waiting on a set of borla long tubes and o/r X.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:22 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Built engine usually means forged crank, pistons, and rods. There are a lot of options there depending on what your goals are.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Steve349

would boring out the cylnders affect the engines durability with high boost levels?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:23 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

What are your horsepower goals.. Everyone's definition of huge is different.. For example, huge to me would be 1200+..
Old 09-18-2012, 12:21 PM
08caliGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
What are your horsepower goals.. Everyone's definition of huge is different.. For example, huge to me would be 1200+..
Sounds like op is on same track I am. Im looking at maybe a stroker kit and goals of 575-700rwhp. What's involved for that?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:28 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08caliGT
Sounds like op is on same track I am. Im looking at maybe a stroker kit and goals of 575-700rwhp. What's involved for that?
575 isn't too much, a nice forged rotating assembly and a power adder will do.. Of course , support items too like clutch and fuel, and might have to look at your tranny depending on how you're driving it.. 700 will be a little on the high side, you would have to really start looking at all the supporting mods at that point. And definitely a tranny..
Old 09-18-2012, 12:37 PM
08caliGT
1st Gear Member

575 isn't too much, a nice forged rotating assembly and a power adder will do.. Of course , support items too like clutch and fuel, and might have to look at your tranny depending on how you're driving it.. 700 will be a little on the high side, you would have to really start looking at all the supporting mods at that point. And definitely a tranny..
It's an auto, daily, few runs at the track to see my times. I was looking at a KB stage 2? Besides what those kits come with, what are you calling supporting mods?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:55 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08caliGT
It's an auto, daily, few runs at the track to see my times. I was looking at a KB stage 2? Besides what those kits come with, what are you calling supporting mods?
Stage 2 KB should get you there easily with higher boost, even just forged internals without a stroker kit would be doable

Supporting mods I would do are cooling (larger heat exchanger, intercooler tank, water pump preferrably electric), I would go with larger injectors and dual pumps instead of using the 39s and BAP at those levels, one piece DS, cooler plugs.. Hmm, I can't think of much else right now. I guess tires and brakes to so you can plant that power and stop it, suspension would be a good idea as well to handle it and brace the car..

Some people would say all that isn't needed but I like to err on the safe side.. If you just want the power, don't have the money for everything, and aren't too concerned about long life reliability than internal and a blower will get you there..
Old 09-18-2012, 01:22 PM
08caliGT
1st Gear Member

Stage 2 KB should get you there easily with higher boost, even just forged internals without a stroker kit would be doable

Supporting mods I would do are cooling (larger heat exchanger, intercooler tank, water pump preferrably electric), I would go with larger injectors and dual pumps instead of using the 39s and BAP at those levels, one piece DS, cooler plugs.. Hmm, I can't think of much else right now. I guess tires and brakes to so you can plant that power and stop it, suspension would be a good idea as well to handle it and brace the car..

Some people would say all that isn't needed but I like to err on the safe side.. If you just want the power, don't have the money for everything, and aren't too concerned about long life reliability than internal and a blower will get you there..
I'm going to do the whole car, suspension and brakes. Most everything else I've been able to find, just a little gray as far as what's involved in a blower and at what levels of power. It's a long project but I'd rather get all my facts straight before I get into it and set goals.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:46 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Ehhh, it can be intimidating your first go at it, but after awhile it becomes easy.. It's just the price to pay for power.. Overall plan on spending around 10K or so in parts.. If you're not too familiar with everything, look at about 10 long days or so of labor from engine to blower.. Would make for a good winter project if you have a daily.. You can spend about 10 hours a week and be done in a month and half..

Quick Reply: built engine