Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

accidentally started car with MAF unplugged

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:01 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default accidentally started car with MAF unplugged

I'm such an idiot. I took out the MAF to clean it and forgot to plug it back in. I was datalogging at the time, so i started the car and saw there was no voltage signal from the MAF. Realizing what i'd done i immediately plugged the maf back in while the engine was idling.

Engine died instantly with a little pop from the intake. It fired back up, but took a couple extra revolutions. Looking at the datalog the MAF came on line and shot straight to 5 volts and the fuel pressure shot up to 57, essentially flooding the motor.

Do not plug in the MAF while the car is running! I just posted to let everyone know the car will start and idle with the MAF unplugged. It was running at 15.8-16.0 AFR and had no fuel trims, so running off just the fuel map I guess.

stupid, stupid, stupid me.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I have done that... mine went in to safe mode...plugged it in ...cleared the code and started it up...no problem after that...
Old 09-20-2012, 05:06 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Lulz, came in to say it wont harm the car to start with unplugged.. read that you plugged it back in and laughed a little.. At least you didn't drive it, that would have been bad.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I can't tell you how many times I've had someone bring a car to me because it was running bad after a trip to an auto shop and the culprit was an unplugged MAF meter. That's the second most common problem I see with cars returning from a shop, the first being vacuum leaks from hoses that mechanics forget to reconnect.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:33 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Yep, i new that was stupid to plug it back in with the car running, but I was not thinking straight at the time. The maf must go through an initial test at start up, but all the pcm knows is 5 volts worth of air, so dump max fuel.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I'm such an idiot. I took out the MAF to clean it and forgot to plug it back in. I was datalogging at the time, so i started the car and saw there was no voltage signal from the MAF. Realizing what i'd done i immediately plugged the maf back in while the engine was idling.

Engine died instantly with a little pop from the intake. It fired back up, but took a couple extra revolutions. Looking at the datalog the MAF came on line and shot straight to 5 volts and the fuel pressure shot up to 57, essentially flooding the motor.

Do not plug in the MAF while the car is running! I just posted to let everyone know the car will start and idle with the MAF unplugged. It was running at 15.8-16.0 AFR and had no fuel trims, so running off just the fuel map I guess.

stupid, stupid, stupid me.
I think I can speak for everyone on this board when I say: "punch yourself in the nuts... real hard... for what you did" lol
Old 09-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
I think I can speak for everyone on this board when I say: "punch yourself in the nuts... real hard... for what you did" lol
LMAO!!
Old 09-20-2012, 06:59 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
Lol.. we've all done something pretty dumb though..
Old 09-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
Lol.. we've all done something pretty dumb though..

I do this to myself when I mess something up with my car.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:10 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Have any of you guys lost their cell phones because you put it by the wiper blades and forgot to retrieve it when you took off after working on your car?
Yeah that's me! lol.
I think it's worse than forgetting to reconnect a plug...

Quick Reply: accidentally started car with MAF unplugged