Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Steeda air filter VS. K&N? Is the oily MAF legend true?

Old 09-28-2012, 05:43 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Default Steeda air filter VS. K&N? Is the oily MAF legend true?

I have a steeda carbon fiber intake on my mustang and the filters filthy and the screen on its all messed up so I am just going to replace it. DOes anyone know if the K&N filter would be a better filter on my steeda intake or just stay steeda? Also is that rumor of oiled air filters getting oil on our MAF's true?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

First off, you'd be wise to confirm the dimensions of the K&N as a suitable replacement. I have a Steeda and have not had a lot of luck finding one of the Amsoil conicals that will fit well.

As far as the oil, I HAVE had issues on an Amsoil drop-in on one of my previous SUV's where no matter how much I blotted the oil from the drop-in, it would contaminate the MAF and I'd throw a code. HOWEVER, when I've cleaned my Steada, I was surprised that I could, what seemed like, saturate the filter and it never threw a code.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:49 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I ran a K&N drop in on an old car for several years with zero issues.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:49 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Most of the time, the problem with oiled filters is too much oil is added, which then coats the MAF sensor. I recommend using the K&N recharge kit. Clean the filter so that the filter appears gray. Place the filter in the sun and allow the solvent to fully evaporate. Then spray the top of the filter until it turns a light shade of red, Do not spray the rest of the filter. Place the filter in the sun, with the closed end up, in the sun, and allow the oil to migrate towards the open end of the filter. Take a clean lintless cloth and clean the inside surface of the closed end of the filter to remove the oil that accumulates. Your filter is properly lubricated and ready to install. This whole operation should take about 4 to 6 hours. Using this method, i've never contaminated a MAF. If you have a contaminated MAF, you will need to spray MAF cleaner and use a soft artists brush to dislodge the dried on lubricant.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:41 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

We have cleaning kits and replacement filters. If you want your Steeda CAI to keep running at a high level, then 1 of these 2 solutions will provide that option.

http://www.steeda.com/store/air-filt...d-mustang.html

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-c...placement.html

Please let me know if I can assist you with any questions or placing an order.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 09-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
First off, you'd be wise to confirm the dimensions of the K&N as a suitable replacement. I have a Steeda and have not had a lot of luck finding one of the Amsoil conicals that will fit well.

As far as the oil, I HAVE had issues on an Amsoil drop-in on one of my previous SUV's where no matter how much I blotted the oil from the drop-in, it would contaminate the MAF and I'd throw a code. HOWEVER, when I've cleaned my Steada, I was surprised that I could, what seemed like, saturate the filter and it never threw a code.
I have a K&N CAI. I replaced the K&N filter with an Amsoil conical #EAAU6065. Works fine.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I prefer non-oil filters. I've never personally thrown a code from an oiled filter (and I've run them on three different vehicles), but I do know people who have.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:19 AM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DTMR
I have a steeda carbon fiber intake on my mustang and the filters filthy and the screen on its all messed up so I am just going to replace it. DOes anyone know if the K&N filter would be a better filter on my steeda intake or just stay steeda? Also is that rumor of oiled air filters getting oil on our MAF's true?
Just stay Steeda, we chose the filter we did because it flows the best for our kit.

When/if you clean the filter, just make sure you don't put too much oil on it. You just want to lightly coat it, it shouldn't be dripping wet or anything.

Let me know if I can help you with a replacement filter and/or cleaning kit.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I'd just buy a replacement Steeda filter.
I have never been one to believe combining company parts on a single mod
is a good idea.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:48 PM
BTR-75
1st Gear Member

For my 2010 GT with the Steeda CAI I purchased a second filter from Summit Racing (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SDA-281-STE100/) along with the cleaning kit from Steeda (http://www.steeda.com/store/air-filt...d-mustang.html). I take out the filter that needs cleaning and insert the clean one, then clean/oil the freshly replaced filter and store it wrapped in a plastic bag and placed in a box until I need to swap them out again.

I do this so I'll always have a filter ready to go without having to wait for it to dry thoroughly before oiling, thus reducing any downtime for my car. I've had no issues with codes or any indication of excess oil residue anywhere.