Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

emissions and car dealership screwed me over

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Guys, he doesn't need to be tuning the car right now. If the dealer sold it to him as is, with the modifications, then they falsified documents in rgeards to state inspection and emissions and if the state DMV finds out, the dealership can lose its business license and inspection license.

He needs to press the dealer, if that is how they sold him the car.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 PM
iraqvet

Originally Posted by Gary Ugarek
Guys, he doesn't need to be tuning the car right now. If the dealer sold it to him as is, with the modifications, then they falsified documents in rgeards to state inspection and emissions and if the state DMV finds out, the dealership can lose its business license and inspection license.

He needs to press the dealer, if that is how they sold him the car.
Dealership won't do anything they said its my problem if you want to.take us to court.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Poppacapp
2nd Gear Member

Did they do an inspection on the car before they sold it? If so, do you have the inspection sheet in your glovebox that has their dealer names etc on it stating they passed the car without cats on it? If so, you have all you need right there. Take it to a lawyer.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Your dealer is going to say it had cats when they sold it to you. The story will end there.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:20 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
You can have cats with Long Tubes? I didnt think that was possible.

And to the OP what are you states smog requirements? Are you allowed to take your cats off?

Matthew
It doesn't matter what state you are in. It is illegal to remove a properly functioning catalytic converter. Period. That is a federal standard. Some states/counties/municpalities enforce it and others do not.

If you have to have your emissions tested to register your car, it is a good bet that you will at least need something that looks like a catalytic converter to pass visual inspection whether you have an emissions friendly tune or not. In my area, if the tester does a visual inspection and doesn't see the cats, they won't even put it on the machine to test it. FAIL!

I'm not trying to come across as the emissions police, but there is a lot of bad information regarding emissions standards on boards like this. The best thing you can do is educate yourself on your local emissions requirements. Get the information you need from the source and not an internet forum.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iraqvet
Dealership won't do anything they said its my problem if you want to.take us to court.
Call the ATTY general of your state. It is illegal for them to sell a car without CATs.

You can trackdown the previous owner through an MVA/DMV search.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Being that you're in an emission area you need to drop the LT headers, get shorties and some cats.

LT's put to much dinstance from engine to the rear O2's so they don't warm up fast enough. (if at all)

Disabeling them (as Brenspeed will do) isn't a solution as the tester will read an error and fail you.

Turning them off will allow you to never get the CEL but you'll be unable to pass.

This is why I refuse to do LT's even though being in TX I might not have the problem due to the heat.

Last edited by Ford_Dude; 12-11-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:21 PM
debit_free_2010

Originally Posted by Ford_Dude
Being that you're in an emission area you need to drop the LT headers, get shorties and some cats.

LT's put to much dinstance from engine to the rear O2's so they don't warm up fast enough. (if at all)

Disabeling them (as Brenspeed will do) isn't a solution as the tester will read an error and fail you.

Turning them off will allow you to never get the CEL but you'll be unable to pass.

This is why I refuse to do LT's even though being in TX I might not have the problem due to the heat.

The easy way to pass with an emissions tune with LT's is to find a tuner that'll disable the I/M monitors.

That way when they plug the scanner, your monitors will come back not supported instead of not ready.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by debit_free_2010
The easy way to pass with an emissions tune with LT's is to find a tuner that'll disable the I/M monitors.

That way when they plug the scanner, your monitors will come back not supported instead of not ready.
Yep thats an insta fail

The computer in the testing bay knows what should be there and if its not then fail.

I've read plenty of posts about this, people that really want LT's but then go in and there is absolutely no way to get them to reliabily pass.

the closest would be to drive at high RPM for awhile to get the Rear O2's hot then immediately pull in for the test, before the O2's can cool off.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:03 PM
debit_free_2010

Originally Posted by Ford_Dude
Yep thats an insta fail

The computer in the testing bay knows what should be there and if its not then fail.

I've read plenty of posts about this, people that really want LT's but then go in and there is absolutely no way to get them to reliabily pass.

the closest would be to drive at high RPM for awhile to get the Rear O2's hot then immediately pull in for the test, before the O2's can cool off.

The scanner software doesn't know what's supposed to be there. All it's looking for are the readiness indicators, if you disable the I/M monitors, the scanner can't read them and flags them as not supported. My tune has been that way for 3years.

I'll agree the inspection station might ask WTF, but as long as the scanner says passed, unless you're in a smog-**** state, they'll likely pass you.

Quick Reply: emissions and car dealership screwed me over