Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

need help from the power gurus

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 AM
07CSstang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
All new tranny man. Those power levels u will need it. If u do proceed with this expensive deal. There are something's u will have to take into consideration. U can't beat on a beefed up tranny and what I mean by that is for spirited driving do not let car shift into OD. When ur in OD do not kick the throttle down bc it will shift into 3rd and its hard on any tranny
yeah i understand you have to be careful with big power. but mine is a standard, so i at least won't have to worry about unwanted hard shifts.

Originally Posted by hollywub
What is your budget? I am 34k into this car with supercharger, suspension, brakes, engine, tranny, meth system, rearend. Another 8k for everything else. A stout 4.63v stroker is about 11k to 13k complete by itself. Short block and heads are about 8k. Complete Magnum 6 speed setup is about 7k with a dual clutch, fuel system, brakes, chassis, suspension. It gets crazy expensive, supercharger or turbo system 6k to 8k...

Best to just bolt on a system and stick to 500 rwhp or buy a Shelby...

My opinion of course
i haven't set a budget for it. rather i set the goal of 700 and doing what it takes to get there over time. this will be a drawn out process over time where things will be added as i can get them. that's why i'm really trying to get the ground work laid out so i can take the right first steps and get the right mods without having to back track.

this has been my dream car since i was 16 and has a lot of sentimental value to me, so working on it to get it to this point is something i love doing and will for years to come. ditching it for a shelby or something would take the fun out of it for me. with how much you have in your car, i'm sure you can understand.

you mentioned the magnum 6 speed....would that be the best new trans for this power level? tranny knowledge is definitely my weakest point for this build.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:49 AM
07CSstang
1st Gear Member

hollywub, i just looked through your pics and i love your setup! great work.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:10 AM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07CSstang
hollywub, i just looked through your pics and i love your setup! great work.
Hey Mike. Thank you.

My goal was to match the engine tranny and rear.

I expect 625 rwhp with the new long block( stroker, stage III heads, 127550 cam, 15 psi, etc) and about 675 rwhp with Methanol. Its a guess...

The magnum is a great tranny. Same as the Z06, ZL1, CTS-V.

I have not missed a shift yet with it. Claims to handle 700 ft lbs.

I have been building this car since April of 2010.

JDM (Jim Jr.) is great. I got my short block from him. I got my tranny from Don Sr. at D&D.

I started with the chassis and suspension. Then the brakes. Then the tranny. Then the rear. Tires need to match too...

No point in have 600+ rwhp if the car isnt setup for it.

There are a bunch of guys on here who have done a setup similiar so you are in good hands for a knowledge base.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:23 AM
07CSstang
1st Gear Member

That sounds like it would be a blast to drive!

I'll do some looking into that tranny.

I don't have any intention on trying to get this done quickly. I'm about to graduate from college and I plan on adding parts as I get the money and just having fun with it.

I've done enough modding/helped others to see that things tend to break with big power, so I want to make sure everything is set up right before I try to slap on a blower. I'm definitely willing to listen to others that know more than me to minimize the headaches.

I plan on doing suspension first and then the trans and rear before the big motor mods start. What would really help me out now that a parts list is developing, is what order those parts should go in....particularly with the rear end and motor mods after cams up to the blower. I'm trying to figure out what upgrades need to go in together and what needs to be done first to last.

Thanks for all of the help!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:32 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I'd say buy your forced induction system first, be sure to verify that it can support the target level you are aiming for but have it set up for 450-500RWHP. The reason I say this is that if you ask anyone who added a supercharger or turbo system what their regrets were, the number 1 regret is waiting so long. If you really want to save some cash, the transmission, clutch, flywheel, short block heads and cams should be done together, otherwise you are going to end up buying the same part twice for a few things, ie, 6 and 8 bolt flywheel, 10 and 25 spline clutch, as well as the redundant work. if you go with a centrifugal supercharger, the heads and cams could be a seperate project as it's easy enough to get to them, unlike if they are underneath a positove displacement supercharger. Your fuel system might as well get swapped out early on, I'd stay away from boost-a-pump for the higher power levels, I think the gt500 fuel pumps are good for 700, I'm not sure 39/42 lb injector will get you there though, you may need some 60 lb injectors.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:47 AM
07CSstang
1st Gear Member

thank you very much. that's really what i'm trying to do. i want to line everything out so i don't end up buying two of something and having to redo all of the work. i hadn't thought about buying the supercharger early on and tuning it down. i really like that idea. the kenne bell mammoth kit says it can be tuned down to 540 hp and up to 775 hp (they claim that is on stock heads, headers, cams, etc). i just don't want to throw the supercharger on there, even at the lowest levels, and start breaking things.

i agree with you that a lot of it should be done all at once. right now i'm thinking of doing the suspension and rear end first, and then doing the whole drivetrain at once, and then lastly the new block/head/etc.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 AM
07CSstang
1st Gear Member

as i mentioned earlier, trans knowledge isn't my strong point. i looked at the magnum 6 speed and it says it is rated at 700 ft lbs. i'd really appreciate it if someone can explain to me where this rating comes from. i understand that a clutch has its limits for power, but after that i'm at a loss at what is the next determinant in a trans for what will hold up. i've always felt you should over do it when building for bigger power, so i'm a little worried that a 700 ft lbs rating will be high enough (better safe than sorry kind of thing).

also, will the 8.8 rear end hold up to this level. i plan on new axles and differential, or is there a different route i should look at?

thanks again everyone. i'm really trying to learn everything i can cause i want to do it right and do it right the first time. and just like any of you, i enjoy doing the work myself so i'm really trying to get all of the know how that i need before tackling it.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:51 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

I'll just give you a quick run down on my setup.

Aluminator short block for SC application 8.7.1 compression (no longer available)
Ford Racing Stage II heads
comp cams 127350 xfi
LT header, no cats 3" exhaust
Ford Racing Throttle Body
Eator tru-trac w/ 4.30 gears
ID 1000 injectors
Ford GT dual fuel pump + dual BAP
AIS Meth injection kit
RST Clutch & Mcleod Alum flywheel
31 spline input shaft
Procharger F1R full race kit
Dyno Tech DS

Supporting Mods/Track Mods
BMR k-member, A-arms, LCA
Steeda adjustable UCA
Cage
racing seats
race harness
rear seat delete
line lock

675rwhp & 540 rwtq @ 18psi
Going Auto in Jan

Probably missing a few things

Last edited by sactown; 12-07-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:19 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

The 700 ft/lbs is the torque rating on the transmission and I believe on the magnum it is 700+ ft/lbs. Driveline stuff is usually rated by torque, not horsepower becuase it is torque that breaks stuff.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:26 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

You can get 450/500 rwhp for around $4000. 650/700 rwhp you are looking at
$20,000+. Is that really what you want?

Quick Reply: need help from the power gurus