Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Spark Plug Change, CAI, 91+ Octane Gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DTMR
autolites are made in china
Not the two piece plugs for the 4.6 and 5.4 liter 3Vs. Honeywell makes both the Motorcraft and Autolite plugs. They are just labeled differently after they are manufactured.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:12 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vistabluevert
Okay, here's my question. What effect, if any does, the CAI, FR tune, and higher octane gas have on carbon build-up? Does it tend to promote carbon build up? Does it tend to inhibit carbon build up? Or nothing at all? I'd like to know what to expect, as I won't attempt this "fun" little project if the CAI, tune, gas, tend to promote the problem.
IMO, the carbon build-up would come from the lack of using an oil catch can on your intake.

I was surprised at the amount of oil blow-back that I had in my intake when I installed my CMDPs - which would be a big part of carbon build-up on the plugs. I changed my plugs a week or so before the CMDPs and my plugs looked nasty with only 40k miles. It was then I decided that a catch can would help keep the intake, valves, and plugs cleaner...
Old 12-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

A catch can is an excellent mod, but that carbon is going to build up on the plugs regardless of whether or not you are running one. The normal combustion process creates a ton of carbon, burning oil just makes it worse.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:41 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DTMR
autolites are made in china though and China=crap. I was so mad when I saw made in china on my msd blasters I emailed them and everything telling them I will never buy another product from them again. As soon as these coils go Im getting the steeda ones
I'm sure the stock coils are made in China and they have a pretty good rep. China doesn't have to = crap if you you have a company that is checking their product for quality.

If the average American didn't demand the cheapest possible price for everything, then we wouldn't have all these Chinese products. Unfortunately most people are cheap and on top of that they expect the very best for cheap.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Stuntman Mike

After reading many threads about the 2-piece spark plugs, I'm seriously debating replacing the plugs per the Ford TSB. I'm the original owner, 2007 convertible, 26,500 miles. At 11,000 miles, I installed a Ford Racing CAI, have been running a Ford Racing tune, and using 91+ octane gas (usually Shell brand). I understand that carbon builds upon the shield of the Motorcraft plugs which may cause them to stick to the cylinder head. When removing the plugs, due to the poor 2-piece design, the plugs have a tendency to break.

Okay, here's my question. What effect, if any does, the CAI, FR tune, and higher octane gas have on carbon build-up? Does it tend to promote carbon build up? Does it tend to inhibit carbon build up? Or nothing at all? I'd like to know what to expect, as I won't attempt this "fun" little project if the CAI, tune, gas, tend to promote the problem. I plan to keep the car for a quite a while longer (did anyone notice how much MRSP has gone up in the last 5 years?), and I'm figuring that if I put this off, I will seriously regret not having tackled this issue sooner. Thanks in advance for your views.
Funny that this topic should come up again as I'll be doing it too before Christmas. The difference is that I've got almost 82,000 miles on my odometer. I've only been lurking mostly on the Forums for about seven months or so, but I'm surprised that I didn't learn about the spark plug issue until Thanksgiving weekend. Yikes!

But, I'm not sweating it too badly. I got my nickel anti-seize, 9/16" spark plug socket, and the Lisle tool in the mail from amazon.com on Monday, a set of Motorcraft plugs coming in the mail from American Muscle tomorrow, and I've even got a can of the Motorcraft PM-3 cleaner in a Tousley Ford order that I put in this weekend. I'll be taking my time and prepared for most contingencies. Hopefully my patience will be rewarded, and your patience will too!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:16 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I'm sure the stock coils are made in China and they have a pretty good rep. China doesn't have to = crap if you you have a company that is checking their product for quality.

If the average American didn't demand the cheapest possible price for everything, then we wouldn't have all these Chinese products. Unfortunately most people are cheap and on top of that they expect the very best for cheap.
its not all about checking the products for quality because they use cheaper materials too, I know this because I hear it from countless sources and I know too many people that are already reporting problems with msd products and this didnt start till they moved it to china. Japan is a different story, better conditions for workers and product quality control. They dont give a crap in china
Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
If the average American didn't demand the cheapest possible price for everything, then we wouldn't have all these Chinese products.
Now that's the gospel Moose...as evident to prior post in this thread concerning the cost of these plugs and how it dictates which some select.
I went with the champions last spring and have had no problems to date.
IMO the piece of mind the one-piece design gives me, has no price tag!

and to anyone changing their plugs I would have this to say...PB blaster is your friend!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:53 PM
vistabluevert

Originally Posted by Stuntman Mike
But, I'm not sweating it too badly. ... Hopefully my patience will be rewarded, and your patience will too!
Please let me know how it goes. I'm planning on doing this over Christmas, and I'll update when finished. Good Luck!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the posts. I have a torque wrench and planned to use it. As to the plugs, I will probably install new Motorcraft plugs. I've read that Champion makes a one-piece plug, but they are more expensive. Hopefully the anti seize will have done its job the next time it's time to replace the plugs. I am open to suggestions, however.
Yes, the Champions may be a bit more expensive, but the peace of mind was worth it to me.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 AM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

I'm planning to change my plugs to Champion 7989 (I think). I love PB Blaster but I hear it is excellent for rust but not so good for dissolving carbon. What about using Throttle body or Carb Cleaner instead as they are designed to dissolve carbon buildup?

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Change, CAI, 91+ Octane Gas