Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Whats the problem with accel coils?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 06:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
coils and TB, two items ford did very well on and none of the aftermarkets can seem to match on performance or reliability.

Aftermarket coils are the about as useful to performance for these cars as a sticker is IMO.
Coils and TB's on supercharged cars do add power. Zkiller did a before and after dyno, pretty sure, but I don't remember what kind of extra power they added. The frpp 62mm throttle body adds power on a positive displacement blower car. Kenne bell did a write up on it and while I don't take their numbers as gospel, i do believe the stock TB is a restriction, but not for everyone. They measured vacuum before the TB at WOT and had 2 inches of vacuum, which means it's restricting air flow to the blower.

i noticed smoother acceleration and idle with both accel and msd coils. Of course my stock coils could be weak. If I put a new set of stock coils on, I might notice the same thing. Aftermarket coils also prevent spark blow out on a supercharged car, which means you don't need to gap your plugs so close.

Last edited by moosestang; 12-12-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:41 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Since you have an 08, you can get the ford racing coils. They are probably made in China though.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-coilset-0810gt.html

Assuming you have the 12mm spark plugs.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:17 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Since you have an 08, you can get the ford racing coils. They are probably made in China though.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-coilset-0810gt.html

Assuming you have the 12mm spark plugs.
i do have the new plugs but those look like the stock coils hahaha i think they are
Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Aftermarket coils did give me a small performance boost. Having to replace them as they went out 1 by 1 in a short period of time negated any performance value.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:17 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Aftermarket coils did give me a small performance boost. Having to replace them as they went out 1 by 1 in a short period of time negated any performance value.
Hey, did you have the accel coils? Why haven't you added a TB at your boost level, you should see a nice gain.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...t/viewall.html
Old 12-13-2012, 09:20 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DTMR
i do have the new plugs but those look like the stock coils hahaha i think they are
They all look like stock coils, probably because they are all made by the same chinese company!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:23 AM
awbreyjd
2nd Gear Member

coils really wont add much, but a T/B will. Especially with an FI build. N/A depending on other mods a T/B gains more per amount of mods. Stock a T/B does little. Full bolt on the T/B does alot more.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Hey, did you have the accel coils? Why haven't you added a TB at your boost level, you should see a nice gain.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...t/viewall.html
Nah, I had GMS coils. Throttle body is my christmas present to myself. I'm waiting on a callback from my tuner on which one he recommends.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:37 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Nah, I had GMS coils. Throttle body is my christmas present to myself. I'm waiting on a callback from my tuner on which one he recommends.
I just put the frpp 62mm on and it's damn purdy! Makes the rest of my engine look like ****. It started up like normal and idles normally. I revved it a few times and it opens quick! I haven't driven it yet.

Put the rubber coupler on the TB before you bolt it to the intake. I had to hold the throttle body in my lap and pull the ***** on. I'd hate to have to do it with the TB mounted to the supercharger.

I think i'm going to take it back off and port the whipple intake some. Looking at the openings, they don't look much bigger than the stock throttle body, if any. I should have measured it before I put it all back together.

Last edited by moosestang; 12-14-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:59 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Went for a drive. The revs come down very slowly, like I lost all my engine braking. That's probably great for road racing, but I don't like it. It never got stuck at 3k at idle or anything weird, but I have to use my brakes now to slow down. I didn't notice any real throttle response improvement, but brenspeeds throttle response was all ready very good.

it did feel like it was accelerating faster. It makes a whistling sound just before the whipple starts whining. If you hold it at just the right pedal position, it sounds like it's ripping a whole in time. I wouldn't have thought it would sound so different.

If the slow return to idle can't be tuned out, then it maybe coming off.

Last edited by moosestang; 12-14-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Whats the problem with accel coils?