Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Whats the problem with accel coils?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Default Whats the problem with accel coils?

I was just wondering what the backlash about accel coils are? I keep hearing tat they are bad but why? They are american made coils. I was just wondering because I will never buy msd again now that I know its china crap, I will probably go with steeda coils if they crap out on me. So whats wrong with the accel ones?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 AM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

I don't think there is a backlash against Accel COPs in particular. The issue is that aftermarket coils have not proven to be any better in most applications than the OEM. For the cost, IMO you're better off replacing coils as needed with stock off-the-shelf.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:16 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RedFire281
I don't think there is a backlash against Accel COPs in particular. The issue is that aftermarket coils have not proven to be any better in most applications than the OEM. For the cost, IMO you're better off replacing coils as needed with stock off-the-shelf.
The access cops have a high failure rate. One or more of mine just quit working, no code, just a wet spark plug. I put the stock coils in, same plugs, it ran perfect.

Don't take my word for it, just google access coils suck.

Who told you the accels are American made.

Last edited by moosestang; 12-12-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:47 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
The access cops have a high failure rate. One or more of mine just quit working, no code, just a wet spark plug. I put the stock coils in, same plugs, it ran perfect.

Don't take my word for it, just google access coils suck.

Who told you the access are American made.
Ohh okay wow because a customer at our shop just had them installed on his firebird and the box said made in USA
Old 12-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

coils and TB, two items ford did very well on and none of the aftermarkets can seem to match on performance or reliability.

Aftermarket coils are the about as useful to performance for these cars as a sticker is IMO.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:43 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
coils and TB, two items ford did very well on and none of the aftermarkets can seem to match on performance or reliability.

Aftermarket coils are the about as useful to performance for these cars as a sticker is IMO.
that i have to disagree with because running more fuel is best with a stronger spark and my gas mileage did go up since i changed my coils and plugs
Old 12-12-2012, 04:53 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DTMR
that i have to disagree with because running more fuel is best with a stronger spark and my gas mileage did go up since i changed my coils and plugs
New plugs would lead to a little better mileage but the coils didn't do anything. This has been done to death and no one has shown any recorded, repeatable improvement with after market coils.

Earl
Old 12-12-2012, 04:56 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
New plugs would lead to a little better mileage but the coils didn't do anything. This has been done to death and no one has shown any recorded, repeatable improvement with after market coils.

Earl
where did you get the wilwood rear brakes?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:38 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Ohh okay wow because a customer at our shop just had them installed on his firebird and the box said made in USA
It's possible they are assembled in the US, but I don't think they are made here. Even the stock coils are made in China.

I've been using the msd coils for over 1 year, I think. I got about 1 year out of the accels. My accel coils look like they started to swell on the top of the coil.

Last edited by moosestang; 12-12-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

where did you get the wilwood rear brakes?
I got them from a member on another forum about 5 years ago.

Earl

Quick Reply: Whats the problem with accel coils?