Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Do we need egr valves?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 06:24 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

All smog equipment is evil, remove it as soon as possible.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:42 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

what i was looking at was the EVAP canister purge valve, thats what I have been trying to ask about haha u guys keep telling me I'm talking about the pcv line. I thought that was the egr valve
Old 12-23-2012, 09:51 PM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DTMR
where did you get the 302 stroker and stainless steel valves???
A few years ago it was built by Tillman Speed and the rotating assembly was from Livernois. I now have a 300 stroker in my car that my friend and I built but did not use stainless valves again because one failed and took out my last engine. If you are going to have a power adder you want to have Inconel exhaust valves which is what the stock exhaust valves are.

My stainless valves were made by PI I believe but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:13 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dysan
A few years ago it was built by Tillman Speed and the rotating assembly was from Livernois. I now have a 300 stroker in my car that my friend and I built but did not use stainless valves again because one failed and took out my last engine. If you are going to have a power adder you want to have Inconel exhaust valves which is what the stock exhaust valves are.

My stainless valves were made by PI I believe but I'm not 100% sure.
Did the kit change how high you can rev?
Old 12-24-2012, 04:45 PM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DTMR
Did the kit change how high you can rev?
??? I don't understand the question...how high you can rev depends on the design of the engine, what cams you have, the cam followers you use and the valve springs you have. I am not looking for a high revving engine but a consistent reliable one.

If you want something high reving, you are better doing a stock stroke engine...the further your rotating assembly has to move, and the faster you spin it the more force it has to deal with when the piston changes direction.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:07 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

??? I don't understand the question...how high you can rev depends on the design of the engine, what cams you have, the cam followers you use and the valve springs you have. I am not looking for a high revving engine but a consistent reliable one.

If you want something high reving, you are better doing a stock stroke engine...the further your rotating assembly has to move, and the faster you spin it the more force it has to deal with when the piston changes direction.
What I meant was when you did the bottom end, did it change the how high you can safetly rev the motor? Like could you still take it to 7k or was that too high
Old 12-25-2012, 06:48 AM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

Can I rev it that high, yes on both my last and new build, but it won't make any power up there so why do it. My car is made for low end torque to launch hard at the drag strip. I think on my last build it was making over 500 ft/lb of torque at the rear tires by 3000 rpms. I don't think the new engine will ever see a dyno unless I just get curious but all of my tuning is done at the track and on the street.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:44 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Can I rev it that high, yes on both my last and new build, but it won't make any power up there so why do it. My car is made for low end torque to launch hard at the drag strip. I think on my last build it was making over 500 ft/lb of torque at the rear tires by 3000 rpms. I don't think the new engine will ever see a dyno unless I just get curious but all of my tuning is done at the track and on the street.
Why? Do you think the dyno tuning messe it up?
Old 12-25-2012, 12:14 PM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

If you are good with a computer and have the right equipment in your car to datalog what is necessary (air/fuel & boost), and have the right area to do it then a dyno is a waste of money. Tuning the car in the conditions that it will be used in can result in a better tune.

A dyno tune can cost a lot of money due to having to pay fees to use the dyno. The thing is you have to know your car well and trust the person you are having tune your car. They also need to be confident in remote tuning....My car is tuned by someone from Venezuela.