Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Whipple SC Tune Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Big&Ugly

Default Whipple SC Tune Help needed

Beeing brand new in this Forum, I already have a Question:

I have purchased a used, almost new Whipple Intercooled SC for my 06 manual Mustang GT. After the Installation, that went very smooth,(except for the upper Wateroutlet that was for a 05 Model) I have downloaded the tune from the supplied XCAL 2 Tuner and tried to start it, Ignition Lights are on, but it won't start, all I got was the Security System Lights blinking.
I have then downloaded my Original Tune with my SF3, Car startet right away, is running VERY rich. So I assume that the XCAL with the tune is still married to the previous Vehicle. What Options do I have, is there anyone where I can purchase the original tune for my Whipple, loaded on my SF3, by email or do I have to purchase my 3th Tuner? I am located in Germany.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:48 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

SCT can unlock the tuner for you, it's $100 USD or so. I'm not sure if you have to ship it to them or if they can email you a "flash" to unlock it. I'd give them a call, they might be able to tell you what to look at to see if it is indeed locked.
Alternatively, since you have your own SF3, why not just get a tune for it? American Muscle or Brenspeed could get you a tune. It would be best to tune it on a dyno though regardless of the direction you go.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:20 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

SCT is going to charge you to unlock that tuner. I think I read the fee is $150, but I'm not sure. I'm not positive that your tuner is locked. If it were, then it shouldn't have loaded the whipple tune, right?

You aren't going to be able to use the tune on there anyway, unless your car happens to have the same computer code as the other guys car. That's why your car wouldn't start, because the codes don't match.

Get a tune from www.brenspeed.com for the whipple. There tune is great, i've been using it for 6 months or so. Do not drive the car on the stock tune! A tune from brenspeed is going to cost you $225, but it will be much better than the whipple tune.

Last edited by moosestang; 01-30-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:33 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Plug the sct back into your car and go to device info. It should say locked or unlocked. If it's unlocked, then all you need is an email tune from brenspeed. You'll need to give them your computer code on the top of the pcm (under hood, silver box, passenger side), as well as the serial # on the back of the xcal.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:24 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

^^^ yes exactly
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Plug the sct back into your car and go to device info. It should say locked or unlocked. If it's unlocked, then all you need is an email tune from brenspeed. You'll need to give them your computer code on the top of the pcm (under hood, silver box, passenger side), as well as the serial # on the back of the xcal.
I always know when I enter a topic like this one that you've already been here and stolen my answer, lol. Well done.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I always know when I enter a topic like this one that you've already been here and stolen my answer, lol. Well done.
If you're ain't first, you're last!

Last edited by moosestang; 01-31-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Big&Ugly

Thanks for the Answers, they make more sense than my own thoughts...
I am still used to adjusting Carbs, set Timings and listen to ticking Engines, my Son takes care of that Computer stuff. I will run over to my Garage and see what I come up with, hopefully I can get the tune by email, I hardly can't wait to hear that Baby "whine", even if it is only in my Garage, it's just to cold outside to drive it. I will keep you updated. Shipping the SCT to the US is not an Option, German Customs will make me pay for the Thing again, regardless if it was mine before or not, I better don't Comment that.
Again, thanks and you will hear from me again

The Second Place is the First Loser ,-)
Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

John Lund is maybe the best easily available email tuner for whippled systems. Lethal Performance sells his tuning services.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Big&Ugly

Thanks for all the Help.
The Tuner is not locked, so it must be that I have the wrong PCM and of course, the Guy I have the SC from has parted out the Car and the PCM is gone. My Son has contacted Brenspeed, they claim they can't do it? and to go ahead and contact Whipple direct, but the Whipple Site is set up in Way to get me lost, have mailed Lethal Performance and see what they say, I will buy a new Tuner with the Tune, just to do it right, I WANT TO START THAT BABY!!!!

Quick Reply: Whipple SC Tune Help needed