Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Delete plates and cams - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:29 AM
gearhed289
1st Gear Member

Default Delete plates and cams - worth it?

With limited time, and a limited budget, I'd like to add a couple of mods to my car. I've already done a few things that you can see in my signature below. I try to get out to a road course or drag strip at least once a year, but this is basically my daily driver. I also have Illinois emissions testing to contend with every 2 years. I'm just looking to make the car a little more fun - AKA faster and meaner sounding. So, based on all that, what are your opinions regarding Steeda charge motion delete plates and Comp 127500 cams?
Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

The CMDP's are an easy mod, and if you can find home-made ones or the "economy" ones they are worth it. They are NOT worth the $300+ or whatever they charge for the billet ones. And you'll need a tune but you have Bama so no worries there.

The cams, you can't just put them in. They are SPR so spring and phaser mods are required. This will add a lot to the cost of doing them.

I'd look into some NSR cams, Hot rods, Detroit rockers, BBR Stage 1's, comp 127200's.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:10 PM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

I have done the delete plates. I thought it was worth it. The car runs smoother with the mod and i got a little bit extra pep out of it top end. You will need a tune also.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:22 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

What exactly is your budget?
All I can say at this point is if you are going to do one, do the other...I have heard repeatedly how adding the delete helped drivability with aftermarket cam's.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Esch
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
All I can say at this point is if you are going to do one, do the other...I have heard repeatedly how adding the delete helped drivability with aftermarket cam's.
I was going to ask about just that. Hot Rod cams are on my list of future mods, and losing low end torque and the possible drivability issues are the only things I'm apprehensive about with cams. I've got got 3.55 gears, and I'd like to be able to stick with them after a cam/CMDP install.

Anyone else have experience with the CMDPs helping aftermarket cams in this way?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 PM
gearhed289
1st Gear Member

That's a good question. It dawned on me this afternoon that I need tires. Ugh... Definitely under $2K, but again, tires are going to eat part of that. My band schedule is looking real good, so it may not be too painful.

Thanks for all the input so far everyone. Definitely leaning toward some type of NSR cams, and I'm going to look around for budget delete plates.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:13 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

I'd say Hot Rods or Detroit Rockers. Both seem to be well liked by current users.

I have the DR's in mine, so I can tell you about those. I also did deletes and headers at the same time. I noticed no loss in low end. If anything, I've gained. Could that be due to the headers? Yes.

As far as drive-ability, it's better than stock in my opinion. No low end bucking or anything. Extremely smooth. The car is very responsive and has a noticeably stronger top end.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:57 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gearhed289
Ugh... Definitely under $2K, but again, tires are going to eat part of that.
Thanks for all the input so far everyone. Definitely leaning toward some type of NSR cams, and I'm going to look around for budget delete plates.
Well at 2K you are cutting it close and definatley going with a NSR cam.
No worries there, I love the DR's I had installed last spring. Those or the hot rods are your best bets.
The ford racing delete plates save you a couple of bucks @ $140.
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05gtkbp.htm
Other things to consider while you are in there doing the work...
Powdercoated cam covers are a nice touch, and don't forget an oil catch-can to keep that intake nice and clean.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Esch
I was going to ask about just that. Hot Rod cams are on my list of future mods, and losing low end torque and the possible drivability issues are the only things I'm apprehensive about with cams. I've got got 3.55 gears, and I'd like to be able to stick with them after a cam/CMDP install.

Anyone else have experience with the CMDPs helping aftermarket cams in this way?
They are like most mods, they add benefits to every other mod. So if you did them alone, you'd get 10hp. If you did cams alone you would get 20, but both would net you 35 for examples sake.

Also, I've heard a story or 2 about the butterflies failing, and guess where they went?

Originally Posted by gearhed289
That's a good question. It dawned on me this afternoon that I need tires. Ugh... Definitely under $2K, but again, tires are going to eat part of that. My band schedule is looking real good, so it may not be too painful.

NSR are the way to go unless you have a larger budget, or want to go a bit extreme. Even though the 500's are an awesome cam, a NSR cam will still net you some good gains.

Save up for some headers and you'll see even better increases, for the same reason I stated at the beginning of this post.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:36 AM
gearhed289
1st Gear Member

Well at 2K you are cutting it close and definatley going with a NSR cam.
No worries there, I love the DR's I had installed last spring. Those or the hot rods are your best bets.
The ford racing delete plates save you a couple of bucks @ $140.
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05gtkbp.htm
Other things to consider while you are in there doing the work...
Powdercoated cam covers are a nice touch, and don't forget an oil catch-can to keep that intake nice and clean.
Yeah, I had cam covers on my list, but that's another $290. Anybody ever paint theirs?

Quick Reply: Delete plates and cams - worth it?