Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

roush, paxton, whipple, my results,( yours may vary)

Old 04-05-2013, 08:39 PM
esp3500
1st Gear Member

Default roush, paxton, whipple, my results,( yours may vary)

Over the past 12 months I have tried 3 different superchargers.
Not becasue I have an endless supply of money, but because I was never fully satisfied.

The roush with 8 psi made 382 hp and 339 torque

The Paxton at 10 psi made 439 hp and 380 torque
The paxton at 12 psi made 452 hp and 390 torque

The Whipple at 17 psi 482 hp 455 torque on a mustang dyno,
as a side note,, the same day it made 532 hp and 505 torque on a dynojet dyno. ( big difference between mustang dyno's and dynojet )

In the end I think the paxton was the best bang for the buck. it looks like if I had raised the boost on the paxton to 17 psi it would have beat the whipple, though the whipple makes more torque at lower rpm's.

All the Superchargers are good, and although My favorite was the paxton, your's may not be.

I liked the paxton because it was quiet, and MPG were the same as stock
(Both the roush and whipple lost several MPG )

it appears the roots style (Roush ) and twinscrew (Whipple )
Take more hp to turn than the centrifugal ( paxton ) .

But I am too lazy to change anything on the car for now, so I will stick with the whpple.

Just my 2 cents
Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by esp3500; 04-06-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:00 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Of course your tired, that was a lot of charger swaps! Lol

To each his own, I love my 420 HP Roush, it has won me 5 trophies at the track since I installed it.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:16 AM
esp3500
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Of course your tired, that was a lot of charger swaps! Lol

To each his own, I love my 420 HP Roush, it has won me 5 trophies at the track since I installed it.
thats correct, you will almost never read about someone who desn't love their supercharger, lets face it any one of these units will yield you more smiles per mile

However their are big differences between them.

I think the roush looks the cleanest on the car and was the easiest to install, but yielded the least power.

The paxton looks like a plumbers nightmare, and took the longest to set up.

And the whipple is very loud, ( to the point of annoying for everday driving) but gives the most torque.

so they all have their ups and downs.

like I said, these are just my observasions, yours may vary.

Last edited by esp3500; 04-06-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:26 AM
20binafd
1st Gear Member

i know how a roush and a whipple sound, how does a paxton sound? If they function like turbos, can they make that cool blowoff sound?
Old 04-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

At 17psi, the whipple should make a LOT more power than that, even on the most conservative dyno. You need to find your air restriction and improve it. I've always found the whipple to be dead silent when I'm notin the boost. When I daily drove the car (going way back), I only heard the Whipple when passing or getting onto on-ramps.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:29 PM
esp3500
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
At 17psi, the whipple should make a LOT more power than that, even on the most conservative dyno. You need to find your air restriction and improve it. I've always found the whipple to be dead silent when I'm notin the boost. When I daily drove the car (going way back), I only heard the Whipple when passing or getting onto on-ramps.
I expected it to be over 500 hp on the mustang dyno and near 600 on the dynojet, but after checking everthing I could, I took it to fastlane motorsport. and let them look it over, and I still have not found the problem.

It is silent until the bov closes. but it is very loud after that.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:52 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
No ****! If he has the stock throttle body, then that's the first problem. I doubt the paxton would have done much better, because there is a problem getting all that boost into the motor.

The paxton isn't as affected by a restriction after the blower as the whipple would be with a restriction before the blower.

I'm assuming this is a lower compression built motor? Get a frpp 62mm throttle body. I have swapped my throttle bodies several times for other reasons and even at 10psi, the difference is quite noticeable.

Not to take anything away from the centris, but the whipple will last longer IMO. Centris and turbos are cheap for a reason.

Last edited by moosestang; 04-07-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:56 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by esp3500
I expected it to be over 500 hp on the mustang dyno and near 600 on the dynojet, but after checking everthing I could, I took it to fastlane motorsport. and let them look it over, and I still have not found the problem.

It is silent until the bov closes. but it is very loud after that.
Are you still using the stock throttle body? Do you have an 8 rib belt setup? What are your spark plugs gapped to? How much timing? What was the air fuel?

Last edited by moosestang; 04-07-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:08 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 20binafd
i know how a roush and a whipple sound, how does a paxton sound? If they function like turbos, can they make that cool blowoff sound?
The centris don't use a blow off valve like a turbo, they use a bypass valve just like a twin screw. You'd have to change it to blow through to use a BOV or else you'd be venting metered air to the atmosphere and the computer would think you are running rich.

Here's a post with videos of people running centris with BOV's.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...-valve.828896/

My whipple is also dead silent until about 20% throttle. I have to put my ear to the blower at idle to hear the screws turning. That's what I don't like about prochargers, they sound like **** at idle.

Last edited by moosestang; 04-07-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:25 AM
esp3500
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Are you still using the stock throttle body? Do you have an 8 rib belt setup? What are your spark plugs gapped to? How much timing? What was the air fuel?
Yes, stock Throttle body, yes 8 rib belt, hto plugs, Built motor 8.6 to 1 C.R.
Total timing is 16 deg. 10.5 to 11-1 AFR's WOT

Last edited by esp3500; 04-07-2013 at 08:34 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: roush, paxton, whipple, my results,( yours may vary)