Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Can someone please do me a favor and scan/log their car on key on and cranking?

Old 04-21-2013, 10:48 AM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Default Can someone please do me a favor and scan/log their car on key on and cranking?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just looked at the stock code and it will be 10 degrees of timing and the Throttle Angle is set in the Crank Fuel part of the tune.

I must have a bad PCM.

Hi All,

Can someone please scan/log their car with the ignition on and then while cranking to see what the throttle position and Timing/Spark reads?

I have tried 3 scanners (1 being an SCT, Snap-on and Autel) trying to diagnose my has fuel, no spark, no start problem.

The only thing that looks weird is that Timing/Spark is at 10 degrees with ignition on and stays at 10 degrees while cranking.

we have checked the crank sensor, tried different cam sensors, there is power to the COP'S, the fuel injectors pulse, has fuel pressure, MAF volts on crank. The cop's pulse when grounding the pinouts at the PCM for the COP'S.

This will really help us out. Changing the PCM is the last resort. Everything else is brand new and functional.

Thanks!

Last edited by hollywub; 04-21-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:51 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

10 degrees is what I see, but I have a datalog of my car during cranking if you want me to email it to you.

Have you checked compression? Obviously it should be good, but bad things can happen to new parts.

just looked at it and my spark starts at 10, then jumps up to 24 after it starts(follows rpms), then drops to -4 until it goes into closed loop.

One thing I thought was strange on my car, is the fuel pump voltage spikes to 25 volts during cranking. No one ever did explain that to me.

Last edited by moosestang; 04-21-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:02 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
10 degrees is what I see, but I have a datalog of my car during cranking if you want me to email it to you.

Have you checked compression? Obviously it should be good, but bad things can happen to new parts.

just looked at it and my spark starts at 10, then jumps up to 24 after it starts(follows rpms), then drops to -4 until it goes into closed loop.

One thing I thought was strange on my car, is the fuel pump voltage spikes to 25 volts during cranking. No one ever did explain that to me.
Thank you for checking.

My fuel gauge goes to 80lbs when cranking. Compression is still good.

Crank and cam sensor good. Throttle body good. Maf good. Voltage good. Have fuel pressure. Injectors are pulsing. Cop's have 12 volts. No cop pulse.

Stinks, but I think the only thing it can be is the pcm...

I was trying to work out a transient fuel issue and I was loading tunes one after another.

Maybe the pcm overheated?

Ended up doing molding today instead of driving the car. Blah