Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Radio CD Player Recomendation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default Radio CD Player Recomendation?

I have the '05 GT with the Shaker 500 Radio/CD player. I listen to the radio way more than CD's. I've been "OK" with the system mostly. My gripe is the CD player has always seemed to be cutting off the last part of the track, and at them moment I'm sure that issue is as it leaves one disc for another, and I'm thinking also between one track to the next.

My question is, my query is, I'm looking for a recommendation on a radio/CD unit that plugs seamlessly into the stock position physically and wire connections that will reward me with good sounds, and look "right" in the dash instead of a transplant. I'm not worried about the "CD Changer" thing, if I must change manually from one CD to another, not a problem.

"good sounds" - I like several types of music, oldies, jazz, country, and more, I've kept good care of my ears, hearing is excellent, and listening to music at high volume is not my thing.

Brand or Manufacture to look at is good enough, I know models change all the time.

Thanks for any tips.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:18 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have the OE Shaker 500's in both Stangs so I have no 1st hand experience with a replacement. But if I were in your shoes, I'd go to the Crutchfield website and research which head units will fit the S197.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

There are lots of good stereo options, however all of the dash replacement pieces really suck.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

I have a Pioneer Avic-X930BT in my GT. It really woke the Shaker 1000 up, sure it would do the same for the 500. Also lets you ditch the CDs by using your phone's library through Bluetooth, USB drive, or AUX input for music.

Wiring is very simple, but not seamless if you want all the features to work. (Nav, hands-free, parking brake, rear view camera...)

Physical appearance is far from seamless. Aftermarket double-din units are smaller than the factory unit, so the new unit will not fill the hole entirely. All the mounting kits Ive seen aren't the best looking.

Heres an old picture...

Name:  IMG_1188.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  61.0 KB
Old 05-30-2013, 10:59 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Double dinn is the bet option and I like Pioneer.

My first Pioneer was a P4300DVD and I think the best one so far I've owned. Installation was pretty easy and I used a bypass/relay to trick it in to letting me play video while moving. You can add navigation and rear camera as well as satellite and HD tuners:

The one I have now is the App Radio 2 and it was the best head unit I've owned unti lthe firmware update:

Since the firmware update, I lost the ability to select a destination in Maps. The cool thing is there are a lot of apps that work with it and I use Pandora (which also works with the P4300DVD) most of the time. If you download App Radio Extensions, the head unit transforms in to what it should have been. Full voice control, text messages on screen, access to almost every app. The head-unit literally turns in to a larger iPhone. The head unit also works with Android devices. There is no cd/dvd player on this one.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:27 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

Oh, sorry, just re-read this. Said you have an 05. A lot better options with the stereo surround pieces. The '10 and up are all hideous.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:41 AM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sbradle4
Oh, sorry, just re-read this. Said you have an 05. A lot better options with the stereo surround pieces. The '10 and up are all hideous.
Totally agree, all that integrated crap is just another reason why I will never be interested in owning a newer stang. Unless its a 13 GT500 or Saleen 351, then I could deal with it...
Old 08-11-2013, 03:05 PM
t3ch

Default Shaker 1000 with aftermarket headunit

Originally Posted by red96v6
I have a Pioneer Avic-X930BT in my GT. It really woke the Shaker 1000 up, sure it would do the same for the 500. Also lets you ditch the CDs by using your phone's library through Bluetooth, USB drive, or AUX input for music.

Wiring is very simple, but not seamless if you want all the features to work. (Nav, hands-free, parking brake, rear view camera...)

Physical appearance is far from seamless. Aftermarket double-din units are smaller than the factory unit, so the new unit will not fill the hole entirely. All the mounting kits Ive seen aren't the best looking.

Heres an old picture...

I was wondering how you have fit the sub and amps of the shaker 1000 with your aftermarket head unit? I have a shaker 1000 too and been thinking of getting a new head unit mainly for aux/usb in and bluetooth support but I thought it would make the subs unusable.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:46 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I just installed a Kenwood. No touch screen. Nothing fancy. Works great with my Shaker 1000. Crutchfield sent me all the wiring harnesses to make everything work brook about fifteen minutes to splice the wires, the. It was plug and play. All for $200.
I have a picture of it on one of my threads here if you want to search for it.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:52 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by t3ch
I was wondering how you have fit the sub and amps of the shaker 1000 with your aftermarket head unit? I have a shaker 1000 too and been thinking of getting a new head unit mainly for aux/usb in and bluetooth support but I thought it would make the subs unusable.

Thanks!
Crutchfield has the wiring harness and it works fine with the S1000. I run this same Pioneer HU in the 500 and no problems at all.

Quick Reply: Radio CD Player Recomendation?