Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Underdrive pulley installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 11:26 AM
wetwille3
2nd Gear Member

Default Underdrive pulley installation

I decided I will get a new TB and UDP. The installation on the UDP looks like it could be a little confusing, and I will have to go buy some tools. I just dont want to take it to a shop, and reviews said it could be hard to install. Are there any tips when installing the pulley? I have a 2010 manual gt, and I will be getting the Steeda ones.
Also, with the frpp TB this becomes a little expensive. Does anyone have a coupon for american muscle?
Old 06-11-2013, 12:10 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't buy the throttle body.

Underdrive pulleys are easy to install. Go rent a pulley puller from Advance or Autozone. I rented a puller from Advance that had a short enough nose I didn't even need to remove the radiator. Beyond that the most difficult part was getting the stupid arms on the puller to sufficiently grip and stay on the factory crank pulley.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:44 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Don't bother with the throttle body unless supercharged
Old 06-11-2013, 09:50 PM
wetwille3
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback.

About the TB, ive always heard mixed views on weather or not to get it. I dont plan on supercharging it or anything, but I will probably cam it in the future and thats it. I know TB is minimal gain, but every little bit adds up. Im not really 100% sure if I want to spend the money on it.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:39 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

Everything I've read about the TB's is they create more problems than do any good.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:02 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

A TB may add 5rwhp and for how much? Save that money and get a good set of rear tires or rear lower control arms... or gears. Much better and more noticeable mods.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:59 PM
wetwille3
2nd Gear Member

Alright I saved the money and just got the pulleys. Its probably for the best since I want to put the hot rod cams in later this summer.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Good decision on not getting the TB. The TB and Ignition Coils on these cars are some of the few parts that are better than any of the aftermarket products that are available.

If you want an upgrade to the TB down the road, get a FRPP (Ford Racing) one. It's essentially a GT500 TB and will be as reliable as the one from your GT.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:23 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
If you want an upgrade to the TB down the road, get a FRPP (Ford Racing) one. It's essentially a GT500 TB and will be as reliable as the one from your GT.
HE was planning on the FRPP one but honestly, money is better spent elsewhere
Old 06-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

I'd only get a TB if you've given up on cleaning the stock one.

I've heard the FFRP one isn't as problematic as the BBK, jusut don't expect any gains, and if you've got your TB so gunked up you can't clean it then might as well.

if its not gunked up then don't do it.

Quick Reply: Underdrive pulley installation