Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

How strong are manual transmissions?(4.6)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:14 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default How strong are manual transmissions?(4.6)

How durable and strong are the manual transmissions in the 2008 Mustang GT?

Took a 08 Bullitt for a test drive and it was fun as hell

Felt surprisingly easy to drive, easy to modulate the shifter and it felt solid.. no slack moving it back and forth, no hard to shift gears etc. I really liked it.

Just wondering how long they typically last. Not drag racing, just normal daily driving and high way runs every now and then
Old 06-27-2013, 07:42 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
How durable and strong are the manual transmissions in the 2008 Mustang GT?

Took a 08 Bullitt for a test drive and it was fun as hell

Felt surprisingly easy to drive, easy to modulate the shifter and it felt solid.. no slack moving it back and forth, no hard to shift gears etc. I really liked it.

Just wondering how long they typically last. Not drag racing, just normal daily driving and high way runs every now and then
all depends on how well it is/was taken care of. how many miles are on it? These are strong engines and transmissions and are very well built and will last forever as long as they are properly maintained.

Many people over look tranny fluid changes but that is an important factor in extending life. Every 20k miles or every other year or so and dont forget your oil changes. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:32 PM
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

Not to thread hijack but what fluid is everyone running in their 3650 trans? My 05 calls for Mercon but that has been discontinued, I think the replacement is Mercon V but I am not sure.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:09 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02GTowner
Not to thread hijack but what fluid is everyone running in their 3650 trans? My 05 calls for Mercon but that has been discontinued, I think the replacement is Mercon V but I am not sure.
on my '99 cobra (T-45) i changed it out with mobil 1 synthetic ATF. I also put in an mgw sts and i felt a pretty good difference. Real smooth shifts

Last edited by xx10Gt; 06-28-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Ablaze
1st Gear Member

Amsoils ATF. Shifts great.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:07 PM
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

I inquired today at Fairview Ford about the trans fluid recommendation. He said Mercon V or equivalent but under no circumstances use synthetic. He said it will cause breakdown of the paper syncros and void the warranty.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

I inquired today at Fairview Ford about the trans fluid recommendation. He said Mercon V or equivalent but under no circumstances use synthetic. He said it will cause breakdown of the paper syncros and void the warranty.
I presume we are talking about a Tremec TR3650.

If so, the Tremec service manual for the TR3650 specifies Mobil 1 ATF and Dextron III. But, what do those guys know?

http://www.mgsv-club.com/images/pdfs...ice_Manual.pdf

I personally spoke with a Tremec engineer about fluids a few years ago and he confirmed Mobil 1 ATF as his choice.

I can find NO Tremec or Ford publication warning against the use of synthetic ATF. Pretty sure it's internet bull****. By the way, there are synthetic variations of Mercon V equivalents, Valvoline being one. According to Valvoline, it meets Mercon V specs and as far as I know the specifications for Mercdon V do not include "dino" requirement. Besides, isn't Mercon V semi-synthetic already?

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 06-29-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:39 AM
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

I am relaying what the service manager and tech told me. It also states clealy in my Ford ESP that the warranty will only be upheld by using motorcraft or equivalent parts and service intervals. I still have 3 years on my extended warranty and dont plan on losing it because of some internet forum said it was okay to. If people want to think they know better then ford then that is their business. For me i will use what is spec'd to be used so to keep my car running the way the manufacturer who spent millions in r&d intended it to.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:59 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

im just telling you what i use, considering my car is 15 years old and has no warranty. plenty of people use the mobil 1 atf synthetic and love it, as do i
Old 06-30-2013, 10:34 AM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

The TR3650 can handle a lot of power through it, it all depends on how the driver shifts and how good his left foot and right hand coordinate with each other. Too many factors can destroy and part of your drivetrain but they are strong enough for street and strip flogging.

BTW I use Royal Purple in mine.

Quick Reply: How strong are manual transmissions?(4.6)