Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Getting Ready to Install a Vortech V3, have some questions

Old 06-27-2013, 09:35 AM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

Default Getting Ready to Install a Vortech V3, have some questions

Like the title says, I am about to pull the trigger on a Vortech v3 on my 2005 Gt. Before I go for the installation I really want to know about which spark plugs to run and if I can put those in a few weeks before installing the supercharger. I have done some research and I see there is a debate on which plugs to run, my question is can I put those in next week drive around for a week or two before installing the supercharger? The car has 80K miles on it and this will be I believe the first spark plug change, I will have the lisle tool in my back pocket!

Lastly, what specialty tools if any did you find to be very helpful during the process? I will be documenting the whole installation to use for my companies website.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:57 AM
drunkyoda
2nd Gear Member

there is no reason to install the plugs before hand. might as well do it all in one session.

and as far as running them.. yes i believe you can as the colder plugs just help with detonation
Old 06-27-2013, 12:46 PM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

I just didn't want to do the plug change and supercharge install in the same weekend as the spark plug change can become a big issue with the 2 piece plug.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:30 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I used to have the Lisle spark plug removal tool. I sold it years ago. I know what you mean about not wanting to do it all at once (blower too). If you run the one step colder plugs before hand, you'll easily carbon them up and they won't be optimal for the blower..

V3 is a beast. I ran one for two years on my 08 GT. Real easy install.. I did it like a dozen times lol
Old 06-28-2013, 09:09 AM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

Cool thanks for the heads up, sounds like it will just be one busy weekend....Maybe the weekend before I can work the ones in there loose and coat them with anti-seize and just install them back in.

The instructions Vortech supplies states to use the same plug that Ford recommends, going down to a cooler plug what kind of affects will that have? Should I move to the HTO's or not?
Old 06-29-2013, 10:45 AM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

I installed the Paxton 2200. Very easy to do just take ur time and do everything when u get it. The directions provided by Paxton were very detailed and i had no issues. I run the Autolite HTO gapped at .030

If u can try and get a dyno tune done also. Ur gonna need tires too

Where did u order the kit from? I would get it from Brenspeed as its a complete with injectors, spark plugs and boost a pump.

Last edited by MadMike1337; 06-29-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:29 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Brisk are good plugs for FI engine but they need replacing at 30K miles or sooner.
Iridium NGK is maybe best for daily driving if they're available for the early 16mm thread pattern...
Old 06-30-2013, 02:10 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJSpags
Cool thanks for the heads up, sounds like it will just be one busy weekend....Maybe the weekend before I can work the ones in there loose and coat them with anti-seize and just install them back in.

The instructions Vortech supplies states to use the same plug that Ford recommends, going down to a cooler plug what kind of affects will that have? Should I move to the HTO's or not?
lol yeah but Vortech also expects you to run their canned tune which is most likely pig rich and also on the safer side of timing. Pretty sure you're gonna be running (hope so at least, for the most power) a Brenspeed revised tune after the start up tune, or better yet a dyno tune to really get it all dialed in.

In that case, the one step colder is highly recommended.

Be careful with removing those spark plugs and I'd reserve more time than expected in case the worse happens. When I used to work at a Ford dealership, I seen a tech break two in the heads of an F150 and he freaked! He tried to quote the customer an extra $600-800 to manually use the Lisle tool to remove all eight that way if any were to further break. I think he tried charging a friggin' hour per spark plug

Originally Posted by pascal
Brisk are good plugs for FI engine but they need replacing at 30K miles or sooner.
Iridium NGK is maybe best for daily driving if they're available for the early 16mm thread pattern...
What's up Pascal.. long time no speak

Ditto on the Brisk spark plugs. I had an issue with running mine for two years without checking them, and turned out all of the terminal nuts were loose! I ended up having to remove them all and re-tightening them due to misfiring issues.

Last edited by stealth_GT; 06-30-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:00 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Heyyy, don't be a stranger man.

Yeah the Brisk are great but you have to keep an eye on them.
They're more for hard core stuff...
Old 06-30-2013, 11:29 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Might be making my way back into the S197 scene...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting Ready to Install a Vortech V3, have some questions