Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Pypes Violators, vs Mac axle back. opinions needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:10 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03gt04mach1
I know our cars are different, but both have the same engine, well except you have an extra INTAKE valve in each Cyl . I put a set of MACs on my '03 GT back in 2004. And I have to say I was glad I did. Great sound and not obnoxious. And they're almost 10 years old! Not pushing the MACs, just letting you know how well they worked for me.
Comparing a 2v to a 3v in exhaust tone is apples to oranges. Not even close to be able to compare!
Old 07-09-2013, 04:57 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

I'm just worried about getting something that will sound bad with an offroad x or h, I love how the violators sound with either, but the macs sound sort of tin can like with no cats. I might end up just going with the flowmaster outlaws and skipping the catless midpipe deal. This car already hauls butt by my standards, and I doubt that another 5 hp from a catless pipe is worth the headache from the sound it will produce ps just to ***** out my car a bit got a good pic after having some fun up the canyon today! So I guess I can make a whole new thread on this or just ask here, is the HP gain from a offroad x noticeable? Is there a seat of the pants increase, or a decent shave from the 1/4 mile using one?

Name:  98728c9a-c076-4f09-ab37-0703a20baf48.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  215.1 KB
Old 07-09-2013, 06:01 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
Comparing a 2v to a 3v in exhaust tone is apples to oranges. Not even close to be able to compare!
Maybe, maybe not. The exhaust tone itself may be different, but what I've found in looking for an exhaust setup on my 3V is that the same setups that sounded good on the 2V sound good to me on the 3V.

YoungBlood: After reading your last reply, can I suggest something else to consider? You sound like you're more interested in an O/R midpipe for the HP gain, but I wouldn't really bother. This car only has 2 cats (unlike my 97 that had 6!), and I don't think it's even worth the money if all you're doing it for is performance. If you do, however, want maybe a little more loud but very easily managable, consider the O/R Prochamber and stock mufflers. That's what I'm running around on right now until I get down the list to Mac axle backs, and honestly it sounds pretty good. Being O/R, I do get whatever benefit I can from having no cats (X makes a little more power, but really not even worth caring about), plus I get an awesome sound that can by all means get pretty loud when I get on it, but if I'm gentle on the throttle, it's really not that much louder than stock, cruising in 5th I can't even hear my exhaust over convertible wind noise. I could arrange to get an sound sample for you if you'd like.

Just a thought!
Old 07-10-2013, 02:45 AM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

I've decided long tubes are going to happen, before gears etc. so now I needa find a good sounding longtube setup
Old 07-10-2013, 06:01 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by YoungBlood
I've decided long tubes are going to happen, before gears etc. so now I needa find a good sounding longtube setup
If you want the best, ARH or Kooks

If you want more budget friendly headers, MAC or JBA's

Also, stingers sound awesome with either O/R H or O/R X
Old 07-10-2013, 07:16 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

skipping the catless midpipe deal. This car already hauls butt by my standards
The need for more power in less than 12 hours...gotta be a record.lol
The quest for more power is a path to the dark-side
Want to keep it simple with the exhaust my friend? Go full mac...headers with prochamber mid. Try that with your factory mufflers and if you want louder, go with a muffler of choice to increase sound if desired.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:47 AM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
The need for more power in less than 12 hours...gotta be a record.lol
The quest for more power is a path to the dark-side
Want to keep it simple with the exhaust my friend? Go full mac...headers with prochamber mid. Try that with your factory mufflers and if you want louder, go with a muffler of choice to increase sound if desired.
I have issues

I think for now I'm going to do some muffler deletes (either pypes and fight the fitment issues, or more likely get some custom made) and a tuner. as well as tint and a headunit. Then snow tires and mud flaps for winter mode. The winters here get pretty snowy, so I decided I should play it safe and get snow tires before I add 30-40 hp between longtubes and a tuner etc The more I listened to muffler deletes with the rest of the exhaust stock the more I like them. They have a clean sound with a bit of rasp. Between all the mods I want it'll be $1500+ so that will have to keep me entertained/on the road for now til tax returns get here, then it's longtubes, or gears I think my mind is made up for now
Old 07-10-2013, 11:48 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

I don't know what videos you've listened too, but LT's with an O/R pipe and muffler deletes sounds like ****.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:41 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

I'm just doing muffler deletes as a cheap way to be a little louder til I can get real exhaust. A local shop quoted me $150 including 4 inch tips so I won't be out a ton when I go to do my real exhaust setup
Old 07-18-2013, 10:58 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

i was in the exact same position that u are in right now. mine was probably more cost based though lol
i was looking at pypes because they r a little cheaper. the more i read and looked though, the more i noticed that the fitment for pypes aint that great. and they really dont have that deep sound to ME. so i got some mac axle backs (not the boom tubes) and i love them. Great fitment, great sound, i have longtubes and an offroad H. i have plenty of deep sound. everyone that hears them loves them. the pypes r a little ratty IMO

Quick Reply: Pypes Violators, vs Mac axle back. opinions needed!