Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Pypes Violators, vs Mac axle back. opinions needed!

Old 07-07-2013, 01:28 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Default Pypes Violators, vs Mac axle back. opinions needed!

Hey guys, I just got a new GT, looking for a set of axlebacks. I've it narrowed down to either chrome violators, or Mac axlebacks. In your opinion what has a better sound, and what is louder? an offroad pipe will eventually be added as well but for now I'm just keeping it as axleback because I don't want to buy a tuner to clear an engine light yet
Old 07-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

You'll be all day debating the answers to this.

I see you're in the Utah area...there's NUMOA, Utahstangs.org, 801muscecars...these are full of S197 owners. Keep an eye on these groups on FB and go to the next get together posted up. The guys will be more than happy to let you hear their setups.
Smarter this way so you spend your money once and get the exact sound you want
Old 07-08-2013, 07:36 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Don't get the Pypes. I have their cat back and fitment sucks. Do some searches and you'll see I'm not the only one.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:38 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info on the Utah groups Ricardo! Is there a group you would suggest over the others? I followed 801musclecars on FB already. Thanks for the heads up CMcNam. I'm just having a hard time finding a sound in an axleback I like... I really like the sound with an offroad x but don't want to go way too loud. I actually enjoy the sound of the violators a lot with the offroad x especially but I've heard it can be way loud, I want it loud but not so bad I hate driving the thing... hmm I'll have to find some to listen to in real life! I like the raspy deep sound, I don't like the smooth deep sound some of the muffler deletes have, sounds too much like a truck to me. So many choices!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

You can't go wrong with any of those groups. Bunch of really nice guys and they are all full of knowledge. I wouldn't suggest one over the other, it's just whichever you get time to meet up with.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 PM
colklink

Originally Posted by CMcNam
Don't get the Pypes. I have their cat back and fitment sucks. Do some searches and you'll see I'm not the only one.
I second this. I got their violator axle-back setup and while I like how they sound after broken in, installing was a major pain. The driver side went on perfectly once everything was bolted up. On the passenger side, the tail pipe wouldnt even go into the cut-out once it was bolted up. I had to heat and bend the hangers on the muffler. Even then, the tailpipe sits a little low. So I had to unbolt the driver side and drop it down a little so they are at least close.

It probably looks ok to the average person, but it bugs me every time I see it.

They were very cheap, so I guess its another example of getting what you pay for.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:16 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

I've heard a lot of fitment issues with Pypes, but I know at least twice as many people who are using them, so I guess you just have to take a chance if you go with them. I'll be going with Mac axlebacks paired with my O/R Prochamber personally. Never had any issue with Mac products. I've heard a few videos with the axle backs and stock manifolds and midpipe and they sound pretty decent like that as well to me. I'd go with Mac over Pypes.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:27 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=colklink;8245114]I second this.[QUOTE]

Third here...violators sound great, but fit for crap!
I would go with the mac's myself if I had it to do over.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:30 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by YoungBlood
Hey guys, I just got a new GT, looking for a set of axlebacks. I've it narrowed down to either chrome violators, or Mac axlebacks. In your opinion what has a better sound, and what is louder? an offroad pipe will eventually be added as well but for now I'm just keeping it as axleback because I don't want to buy a tuner to clear an engine light yet
Neither! Borla stingers FTW!
Old 07-09-2013, 02:52 PM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

I know our cars are different, but both have the same engine, well except you have an extra INTAKE valve in each Cyl . I put a set of MACs on my '03 GT back in 2004. And I have to say I was glad I did. Great sound and not obnoxious. And they're almost 10 years old! Not pushing the MACs, just letting you know how well they worked for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pypes Violators, vs Mac axle back. opinions needed!