Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

best mods for 1/4 times on a N/A 4.6 S197?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 11:56 AM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3vStang
If no boost, and your just looking for ETs, 4.10s or even 4.56s, big and skinnies with a set of ET streets out back. Sway bar delete, battery in the trunk, LCAs, CJ springs, CAI/tune, o/r x. Sure there is more but it all depends on your wallet and how crazy you want to get.

I didn't read your whole post but if it's an auto get a stall. If a manual launch the hell out of it. If you can drive, 12.7-8s won't be a problem with that set up.
What's your opinion on longtubes if I'm sticking N/A? without cams do longtubes do much? or would I be better off with an offroad x until I can do both cams and LTs at once? I'm in a manual btw and I'm shooting for 13.5's by next spring, but my altitube at the track here is 4200 ft above sea level :P I've been told I will be running close to 14.3 if I drive the hell out of it stock..
Old 07-13-2013, 12:40 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

I have been doing some more reading on this and found a great article and build and thought I would post the article here http://www.cjponyparts.com/tech-2005...st-mule/a/176/ they get a N/A into low 12's high 11's with their setup, without headers or cams. My guess is their driver has a big role to play in their times as well based on most timeslips I've seen from people with similar mods. good read though!

Last edited by YoungBlood; 07-13-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:18 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by YoungBlood
What's your opinion on longtubes if I'm sticking N/A? without cams do longtubes do much? or would I be better off with an offroad x until I can do both cams and LTs at once? I'm in a manual btw and I'm shooting for 13.5's by next spring, but my altitube at the track here is 4200 ft above sea level :P I've been told I will be running close to 14.3 if I drive the hell out of it stock..
I installed a set of kooks LTs on my 06, they are not a very cost effective performance mod, and won't do much for ETs, but they worked well with my vortech, and sounded incredible.

As far as cams and LTs. Yes they will be beneficial together. I wouldn't waste money on an x pipe if your going to headers eventually because you'll need a new mid pipe again. If your sticking N/A and you know your getting cams, then LTs are a building block in the process. What cams are you looking at?

For reference: I went 12.9 auto: cai/tune, 4.10s, LTs, LCAs, on street tires.

Like I said with the list I gave you before, corrected, you can hit 12.8s no problem.

*edit - also start pulling weight it all adds up. Look at my old build thread for ideas.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:22 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

I might just get an x pipe then have an exhaust shop cut it shorter and weld flanges into it when i do LTs, I'm thinking about detroit rockers as far as cams go or frpp hot rods because I hear they both have good drivability and don't need phase limiters so I could keep my variable cam timing
Old 07-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

If you want headers you should save up and get them with the matching x-pipe. It'll be cheaper this way. My thinking was the same...have my Bassani cut and flange welded to fit headers...after labor and original cost of the Bassani it would have been much cheaper to get matching headers/x-pipe first time and be done. Headers were worth on my car, not sure how much hp/tq gain there was but it did change how the car reacts to throttle input.

BTW, some really great advice here from these guys on a N/A setup! Good stuff
Old 07-14-2013, 02:55 AM
mustang_gt808
2nd Gear Member

I have been doing some more reading on this and found a great article and build and thought I would post the article here http://www.cjponyparts.com/tech-2005...st-mule/a/176/ they get a N/A into low 12's high 11's with their setup, without headers or cams. My guess is their driver has a big role to play in their times as well based on most timeslips I've seen from people with similar mods. good read though!
wow so i read the link omg im so excited to go to the race track!!!! so my mods is a hopefull 12 sec mod?!!?? man im excited lol thanks for that link buddy
Old 07-14-2013, 03:14 AM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
If you want headers you should save up and get them with the matching x-pipe. It'll be cheaper this way. My thinking was the same...have my Bassani cut and flange welded to fit headers...after labor and original cost of the Bassani it would have been much cheaper to get matching headers/x-pipe first time and be done. Headers were worth on my car, not sure how much hp/tq gain there was but it did change how the car reacts to throttle input.

BTW, some really great advice here from these guys on a N/A setup! Good stuff
Hmm.. I guess I'll have to decide when I get there! I have a few simple mods before I start really adding power! I really want a tuner and some axlebacks, stock is so borijng sounding, and I can feel spots in the powerband that are just begging to be opened up. I really wanna go to a test and tune or midnight drags at RMR here soon and get some base times to work with! I've never dragged before, but I've raced motox down there before! I ran the 1/4 on the backroads by my house using a phone app, which is telling me I got a 15.1, and saying my 0-60mph was a 7.1 consistantly, so I think the app just sucks, because I've gotten my launches down pretty good to where I don't bog, and I just chirp the tires a little, but don't spin them hard. Anyone know of some good 0-60 or 1/4 mile apps for android or ipod touch I could play around with? I tried having a friend hand time it and I was getting high 5's every time according to their stop watch for 0-60mph.. anyways long rant but I have really appreciated all the advice and knowledge shared! I've only had my mustang for 10 days but I'm already in love with it and the modding bug has bitten me! Just gotta sell off my Jeep and I'll have a good chunk of cash to play with
Old 07-14-2013, 04:37 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

pretty much my exact plan I'm thinkin! tires might have to wait, but I'll have either exhaust or 4.10's done by spring and build from there I think. Tuner and axlebacks are gonna be my first mod just to keep me entertained for now, and a new headunit and tint. When I get bored with that I'll add more I have a tendancy to build vehicles up so fast I get bored with them too fast and sell them (I've gone through 3 jeeps builds in under 3 years) so I wanna take it slow with the Stang and do it right as well even if it takes a bit longer
lol tell me about it.. I do the same shiet. I actually owned a supercharged 08 a few years ago and sold it only because I got bored of it. Honestly, I should have just kept it and built it up even more. Now I miss it!
Old 07-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

You can get a bluetooth OBD adaptor and run the Torque app and it will use your car's computer to get pretty accurate speeds and times. I sent you a PM too about the next RMR Mustang only night
Old 07-15-2013, 03:20 AM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
You can get a bluetooth OBD adaptor and run the Torque app and it will use your car's computer to get pretty accurate speeds and times. I sent you a PM too about the next RMR Mustang only night
Thanks for that! I joined the group and I'm requesting work off for that day! I'm thinking of getting the SCT iTSX for the same things torque can do, plus I want a tuner. This Jeep is giving me fits fixing the heater core... mostly my hackjob bypass but as soon as it sells I'm going to start modding, and I think that I'll start a build thread!

Quick Reply: best mods for 1/4 times on a N/A 4.6 S197?