Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

best mods for 1/4 times on a N/A 4.6 S197?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Hey Youngblood, if you're around the SLC area and there's a show or get together I'll come out and let you take my car for a spin so you can see how the mods you're thinking about feel. I'll shoot you a PM when I hear something.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
My daily driver is a 2006 GT with a UPR CAI, UPR/SCT Tuner, and UPR x-pipe (made a very nice jump in power) and full UPR suspension (excellent grip on 275/40-18 Nittos). It's quite a bit quicker than stock. I really enjoy driving it.
Most of my suspension came from ^this guy. My car is street legal, but dedicated to the track. I don't recommend any other suspension company as highly as UPR. If you can live with the NVH, I recommend their rod-end LCAs, UCA and spherical axle-housing bearing. Get that slop out of your suspension.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by YoungBlood
with how tall my tires are I definately need 4.10s. I'm on the fence about getting new tires though because mine have very slight weathering (they're 4 years old but only have 8k miles on them) and I'm thinking with doing some 305/40/18 in the rear, would that be too much tire?
Bigger tires won't make you faster. You need the power to turn them big meats. In fact, I'd downsize from those 18"s as well if you want to be quicker.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:37 AM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Hey Youngblood, if you're around the SLC area and there's a show or get together I'll come out and let you take my car for a spin so you can see how the mods you're thinking about feel. I'll shoot you a PM when I hear something.
Thanks man! Diabolical, would shorter tires be better? Is having the wider tire bad? I was under the impression the wider tires hook up better, but with the height I can totally feel them sucking away bottom end power. With the inch or so taller tires I feel like they need gears. Gears or tires cost the same so I think I'll start with gears cuz my tires have good life left
Old 07-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Wider/taller tires don't necessarily hook up better. The compound of the tire is what makes it hook up. In fact, my track tires are 1/2" narrower and a full inch shorter than my street tires, but they are soft enough to cut with a spoon.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:38 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Hmm for summer tires (drag radials will have to wait a bit, both sets of wheels I have are 18's, and I need some snow tires) what's an ok size?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:03 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I'm using 275/40-18 Nitto NT05s.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:09 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I seriously considered a 2008 Bullitt, stick shift. Sure, it's not gonna be as quick as a new 5.0 but it's a great platform. With the right mods, it's sure to be vicious at the track.

If it were me, I would do some basic suspension upgrades like springs, struts, lower control arms and a strut bar.

4.10s, cold air intake, lung tube headers, short throw shifter, rear seat delete, light weight driveshaft, skinnies up front and bias ply racing tires in the rear.

Not sure how much Hot Rod cams and an o/r pipe gains with the 4.6, but those would also be on to do list..
Old 07-13-2013, 03:13 AM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
I seriously considered a 2008 Bullitt, stick shift. Sure, it's not gonna be as quick as a new 5.0 but it's a great platform. With the right mods, it's sure to be vicious at the track.

If it were me, I would do some basic suspension upgrades like springs, struts, lower control arms and a strut bar.

4.10s, cold air intake, lung tube headers, short throw shifter, rear seat delete, light weight driveshaft, skinnies up front and bias ply racing tires in the rear.

Not sure how much Hot Rod cams and an o/r pipe gains with the 4.6, but those would also be on to do list..
pretty much my exact plan I'm thinkin! tires might have to wait, but I'll have either exhaust or 4.10's done by spring and build from there I think. Tuner and axlebacks are gonna be my first mod just to keep me entertained for now, and a new headunit and tint. When I get bored with that I'll add more I have a tendancy to build vehicles up so fast I get bored with them too fast and sell them (I've gone through 3 jeeps builds in under 3 years) so I wanna take it slow with the Stang and do it right as well even if it takes a bit longer
Old 07-13-2013, 11:19 AM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by YoungBlood
Hey guys, I'm sure this has been gone over a few times, but I have lots of questions I still haven't found the answers too after searching for a couple days. I have a manual GT, with 295/45/18 nitto n255s on the rear and 255's up front, stock besides a K&N. So far I'm really liking it, and I plan to go to the local drag strip soon and get some 1/4 mile runs in. I plan on some basic bolt ons but have a few questions about each...

Gears: my tires are a little over an inch taller than stock, will 3.73's put me back in stock range? (3.55) and if so would 4.10's help my 1/4 time or make me shift again before the end and hurt my times?

Offroad x pipe: Will this provide a boost in my 1/4 mile, and regular driving, or will the difference be minimal, I would get a tune for this as well...

Tuner: this is a no brainer, it will help with power and any future mods, so I don't have too many questions about it, other than if any of you saw anything improved in your 1/4? I already have a CAI just not a tuner yet

After these few things, are there any other mods that add power or would help shorten 1/4 times, that would go in a logical order with this? Cams, longtubes etc I'm hesitant about because I worry that for the money they won't be worth the power they add, but someone correct me if I'm wrong! This car is a daily driver but having it mildly modded for dragging seems fun FI is not happening any time soon... and Nitrous scares me because I don't wanna blow an engine, as safe as everyone says it is...

Anyways, any insight you more experienced people have is greatly appreciated!
If no boost, and your just looking for ETs, 4.10s or even 4.56s, big and skinnies with a set of ET streets out back. Sway bar delete, battery in the trunk, LCAs, CJ springs, CAI/tune, o/r x. Sure there is more but it all depends on your wallet and how crazy you want to get.

I didn't read your whole post but if it's an auto get a stall. If a manual launch the hell out of it. If you can drive, 12.7-8s won't be a problem with that set up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best mods for 1/4 times on a N/A 4.6 S197?