Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Newbie needing exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 01:44 PM
GTowner76

Well, I'm screwed then. I'd be tempted to go get some SLP Loudmouths, but those are bolt on's and I just don't trust bolt on fitment anymore after the Pypes experience. Some may work well, but I don't think they all do. I don't get why the GT doesn't come that way off the factory line. Nobody buys a GT to sound like any other car. Go loud or go home I say.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:49 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

you could have an exhaust shop custom make you some muffler deletes, it would probably be cheaper than slps too
Old 07-15-2013, 02:36 PM
GTowner76

That's what the Pype Bombs were...muffler deletes essentially. They sounded ok, but the metal they were made of made it sound cannish. Cheap product from my experience. The Super 44 isn't a bad muffler, but just too quiet. I'm about tempted to just forget it, and sell this thing and go get a new v6 that looks cool and save on the gas. Just disappointing! Thanks for your response today!
Old 07-15-2013, 05:19 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTowner76
That's what the Pype Bombs were...muffler deletes essentially. They sounded ok, but the metal they were made of made it sound cannish. Cheap product from my experience. The Super 44 isn't a bad muffler, but just too quiet. I'm about tempted to just forget it, and sell this thing and go get a new v6 that looks cool and save on the gas. Just disappointing! Thanks for your response today!
I've heard the pipe bombs can sound like that due to the baffles in them, the SLP or any other muffler delete shouldn't have a tin can sound

Here's a clip of a 2010 with the slp's your exhaust shop could easily fab some of these up, but I've heard no complaints about the fitment of SLPs but lots about pypes
Old 07-15-2013, 10:14 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Check out my YouTube channel for various videos of my set ups on the car. I had Mac Boomtubes which are very similar to Loud Mouths. They were nasty sounding but way too loud for my tastes. I have Bassani Race mufflers now. Quiet at idle and normal driving but when I hammer it, you know.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MidAtlanticMustang
Old 07-16-2013, 06:09 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTowner76
Well, I'm screwed then. I'd be tempted to go get some SLP Loudmouths, but those are bolt on's and I just don't trust bolt on fitment anymore after the Pypes experience.
Dude, do not let Pypes convince you that nothing will bolt on right. Pypes stuff is notorious for bad fitment. I've installed two different axle backs (MBRP and current Hooker one) that were almost dead on after installation with no tweaking, and fit very well.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:15 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

My MAC and Bassani fit great without modification. Pypes is notorious for bad fitment.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

You need to keep in mind you really cant compare the sound of the cars before 05..... They had mid car mufflers in front of the axle with a tailpipe. That changes everything sound wise.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:04 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

With Aerochambers and an H-pipe (with high flow cats) I got mine pretty damn close!
Old 07-28-2013, 08:02 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
Dude, do not let Pypes convince you that nothing will bolt on right. Pypes stuff is notorious for bad fitment. I've installed two different axle backs (MBRP and current Hooker one) that were almost dead on after installation with no tweaking, and fit very well.
Bingo! Quality control at Pypes seems largely MIA. I've seen sets of their stuff that fit perfectly, and other sets where the pipes were so badly misformed the connections wouldn't come within 6" of mating up.

Don't judge the whole industry by them.

Quick Reply: Newbie needing exhaust help