Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Newbie needing exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:45 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

First off, loud isn't in par with sounding good on those engines...
In fact, the worst sounding V8s I heard were loud 3v mills. That three valve technology makes it hard to deal with for some reasons.
I mean, even after cams and long tubes you don't get the sound that a 2 or4V has with the same treatment.
Also, axle backs don't help either and it's hard to get rid of the drone.
The best combo I heard was Flowmaster delta series ( designed for pushrod engines) that were installed by yours truly (:-)) under the rear floors in lieu of the saddle fuel tank with cats deleted. Fuel cell was installed in the trunk.
Not everyone is willing to do that though...
Old 07-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
First off, loud isn't in par with sounding good on those engines...
In fact, the worst sounding V8s I heard were loud 3v mills. That three valve technology makes it hard to deal with for some reasons.
I mean, even after cams and long tubes you don't get the sound that a 2 or4V has with the same treatment.
Also, axle backs don't help either and it's hard to get rid of the drone.
The best combo I heard was Flowmaster delta series ( designed for pushrod engines) that were installed by yours truly (:-)) under the rear floors in lieu of the saddle fuel tank with cats deleted. Fuel cell was installed in the trunk.
Not everyone is willing to do that though...
If no one has mentioned it, you're completely nuts Pascal. but in a very good way...
Old 07-30-2013, 09:18 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Yeah but it makes it fun though, Everytime!!!!!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:38 AM
MWG2

Although I too am a newbie to this forum and a newbie Mustang owner, I am not new to mods. Here is my 2 cents worth:

1) Exhaust sound is a matter of preference. Every exhaust kit has it's own unique signature. One of the great things about the Internet is that you can go to You Tube and find videos of many different exhausts. American Muscle has some solid videos too.

2) You mentioned the mufflers were installed at Midas. May I humbly suggest you find a good mechanic or performance shop and have them install. A good mechanic will check for rattles before it comes off the lift. Then while he road tests the vehicle, his well tuned ears can discern the quietest of rattles. I have such a mechanic.

3) Someone here said exhausts can be a money pit...OH YEAH! Before you move forward, decide how much you are willing to spend, because it's easy to go crazy...once the exhaust "bug" grabs you, watch out...Headers, pipes, off-road pipes, etc.

4) I'm an old guy (60) and I have had too many years of experience with cars (and sunk a ton of money into them). I have found two simple mods can really enhance the exhaust sound: A good cold air intake coupled with a well constructed exhaust axle back (or cat back) will deliver a nice sound. The question comes back to sound preference.

Currently, I am researching axle backs for my brand new 2014 V6 Mustang. I just ordered the cold air intake. Once the air intake is installed, I will listen to the stock exhaust sound with the air intake and THEN decide which axle back to install. Based on years of installing exhaust systems on the too many cars I've owned, here is my take:

Flowmaster: A solid, well built unit. Perfect for finicky neighbors who hate loud cars. Drive slow and the Flowmaster is pretty quiet, but will get-it-on when you step on the gas. No drone and pretty quiet in the car when holding sustain speed.

Borla: (They also make the Ford Racing exhaust axle back) Deep throaty sound. Well constructed. Ford racing part a little over priced. If you want the deep throaty sound, Borla is the one for you.

Magnaflow: Good quality. Nice sound. Matter of sound preference.

Bassani: High pitched sound at high revs. Truly Italian. Makes your vehicle want to drive on Italian roads. IMHO, not a good match for an American Muscle car. But again, it's a matter of sound preference.

Roush: Loud; not good for finicky neighbors, especially if you live in a quiet neighborhood and come home late at night. Everyone will know you just arrived home. I live in a very quiet neighborhood and I think my neighbors are going to be pissed-off as I am leaning toward the Roush Axle Back; I just like the sound.

Pypes: Don't wast your money.

Hope this is helpful. Drive safe and stay thirsty my friend.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:40 PM
MWG2

UPDATE: Just pulled the trigger on the Roush Axle Back. Oh Yeah. Varoom Varoom! It should sound like this:

I will take a video and post once it's installed.

Until then, Drive safe and stay thirsty my friend.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:57 AM
Stainless Works
Former Sponsor

Full Stainless Works exhaust including 1-3/4" Long tubes, hi-flow cats, 3" X-pipe, 3" tailpipes, Chambered Muffler with 4" tips. Really clean sound, similar to exotic muscle car. True dual setup with the 3" x-pipe gives it the sound of pure performance. Optional LMF muffler if you want it louder!!

Old 08-14-2013, 02:19 PM
GTowner76

Hey, didn't mean to ignore your post MWG. Thanks for your help. I am thinking about installing a catted mid-pipe and keeping the Super 44's? What do you think? This thing has a factory H pipe though??

Last edited by GTowner76; 08-14-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:30 AM
MWG2

Originally Posted by GTowner76
Hey, didn't mean to ignore your post MWG. Thanks for your help. I am thinking about installing a catted mid-pipe and keeping the Super 44's? What do you think? This thing has a factory H pipe though??
Catted mid-pipe = YES

Factory H = Yes, I believe that is correct.

May want to change to X, but I would check on that.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:05 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Chambered mufflers don't sound nearly as good with an X pipe as with an H pipe, but H pipes are harder to find. Whichever you prefer I guess.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:27 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

I prefer the sound of the H over the X personally. H tends to be deeper, more old school. X lends itself to European or raspy sounds.

EDIT: and yes, H is more difficult to find than X these days.

Quick Reply: Newbie needing exhaust help