Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #31
S197GT07
5th Gear Member
 
S197GT07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Mass
Posts: 2,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep View Post
Even a 302 running a ton of boost?

Brenspeed rates their engine at 1000hp. If I bought one I would shoot for a close to that as I could get.
1000hp huh? Thats at least a 50-60k build, with 850 to the tire.

Can't think of to many 3v's at that level, and the one or 2 I can think of have some major money into it.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
__________________
07 GT-Stick-Vert
|Stingers|JPC Resonators|ARH + O/R H|
|CMDP|Intake|Dyno Tune|WOTBOX|
305rwhp 322rwtq

For sale - GT500 H/E|GT500 Rails|GT500 Steering Wheel|Entire Car!|
S197GT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #32
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member
 
Dubstep Shep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 75
Wade Sheppard Big_Shepp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S197GT07 View Post
1000hp huh? Thats at least a 50-60k build, with 850 to the tire.

Can't think of to many 3v's at that level, and the one or 2 I can think of have some major money into it.
All together? Yea, that number seems accurate.

As for the engine I'm estimating the 15-25k range. The block is only 4k, the original supercharger is 5k, so that leaves some wiggle room for exhaust (2k?), heads (3k?), blower upgrades (6k?), SC system upgrades (1k?), cooling upgrades (1k?), etc. I'm literally pulling the last few numbers out of my ***, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I would LOVE to see the spreadsheet on one of these builds already.

My plans for this car extend over the next decade at the very least. It's a salvage title so I can't really sell it. Might as well make it awesome. Additionally it's a chance for me to learn some things as a Mechanic and as an Engineer.
__________________
Hard work yields great rewards, but idle talk leads only to destruction.
Proverbs 14:23

“Faster, Faster, Until The Thrill Of Speed Overcomes The Fear Of Death.”
Hunter S. Thompson
Dubstep Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #33
JCON
5th Gear Member
 
JCON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT Convertible
Location: Delaware
Posts: 2,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep View Post
It's a salvage title so I can't really sell it.
I was going to say do yourself a favor and get a different engine block. It doesn't make sense to blow that much money on a 4.6L 3v when attaining that power level is a lot easier and probably cheaper with a bigger block.
__________________
Like Mid-Atlantic Mustangs on Facebook
Mid-Atlantic Mustang's YouTube Channel

270rwhp 292rwtq - 4/21/12 - Stock 87 octane + 4.10's
283rwhp 296rwtq - 4/20/13 - Exhaust 87 octane + 4.10's
330rwhp 336rwtq - 4/19/14 - Intake, P&P TB, CMDP's, UDP's, LT's, O/R ProChamber, 4.10's + 93 tune
JCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #34
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member
 
Dubstep Shep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 75
Wade Sheppard Big_Shepp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCON View Post
I was going to say do yourself a favor and get a different engine block. It doesn't make sense to blow that much money on a 4.6L 3v when attaining that power level is a lot easier and probably cheaper with a bigger block.
Hence the intent of doing a 5.0 with a 4.2L supercharger.

That said, I would still be replacing the block. You can't run 1000hp on a stock S197 block.

Modular Mustang Racing makes a variety of different blocks that work with S197s that have higher displacement. I've always been more of a boost guy anyway; it saves weight and space. My engine compartment is cramped enough as is lol.

But this is a bit off on a tangent. I won't be breaking into my block for a couple years at the minimum.
__________________
Hard work yields great rewards, but idle talk leads only to destruction.
Proverbs 14:23

“Faster, Faster, Until The Thrill Of Speed Overcomes The Fear Of Death.”
Hunter S. Thompson
Dubstep Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #35
S197GT07
5th Gear Member
 
S197GT07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Mass
Posts: 2,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep View Post
Hence the intent of doing a 5.0 with a 4.2L supercharger.

That said, I would still be replacing the block. You can't run 1000hp on a stock S197 block.

Modular Mustang Racing makes a variety of different blocks that work with S197s that have higher displacement. I've always been more of a boost guy anyway; it saves weight and space. My engine compartment is cramped enough as is lol.

But this is a bit off on a tangent. I won't be breaking into my block for a couple years at the minimum.
Even though its in the future, I can't stress this enough:

Stay FAR FAR away from MMR
__________________
07 GT-Stick-Vert
|Stingers|JPC Resonators|ARH + O/R H|
|CMDP|Intake|Dyno Tune|WOTBOX|
305rwhp 322rwtq

For sale - GT500 H/E|GT500 Rails|GT500 Steering Wheel|Entire Car!|
S197GT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #36
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member
 
Dubstep Shep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 75
Wade Sheppard Big_Shepp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S197GT07 View Post
Even though its in the future, I can't stress this enough:

Stay FAR FAR away from MMR
Since I'm a noob at this stuff, humor me on these guys.

They seem like they do quality work. Simply looking at the components they use and some of the claims they make it appears they are the real deal. Additionally, I can't find anyone else besides maybe Brenspeed that does anything with the 4.6

Now that I've said that, understand that's the opinion of someone with limited experience.

So why avoid them?
Dubstep Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #37
S197GT07
5th Gear Member
 
S197GT07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Mass
Posts: 2,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep View Post
Since I'm a noob at this stuff, humor me on these guys.

They seem like they do quality work. Simply looking at the components they use and some of the claims they make it appears they are the real deal. Additionally, I can't find anyone else besides maybe Brenspeed that does anything with the 4.6

Now that I've said that, understand that's the opinion of someone with limited experience.

So why avoid them?
Do some googling, with the phrase **** MMR. I'm sure you can guess the 4 letter word that got bleeped out there.

Personally, I've had 0 experience, however, reading some of the issues others have had its quite surprising.

Yes, their shop cars are pretty amazing, however that service doesn't follow over to the customer.

I also wouldn't use Brenspeed for a high HP, high $$$ build.

JPC has done more with the 3v then anybody else I can think of off hand. They have a couple in the 8's if I remember, and a few in the 9's.

If I were you, and planning on putting this much $$$ into the car, do something different. Huge boost 3v's are never going to be reliable, its just a fact. You don't see any 800rwhp 3v daily drivers, because it just can't happen. The things you would need to do to the block start getting outrageous, and it doesn't become streetable. You'd be better off swapping a GT500 drivetrain in, toss a whipple 2.9/4.0 on the thing, and call it a day.
__________________
07 GT-Stick-Vert
|Stingers|JPC Resonators|ARH + O/R H|
|CMDP|Intake|Dyno Tune|WOTBOX|
305rwhp 322rwtq

For sale - GT500 H/E|GT500 Rails|GT500 Steering Wheel|Entire Car!|
S197GT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #38
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member
 
Dubstep Shep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 75
Wade Sheppard Big_Shepp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S197GT07 View Post
Do some googling, with the phrase **** MMR. I'm sure you can guess the 4 letter word that got bleeped out there.

Personally, I've had 0 experience, however, reading some of the issues others have had its quite surprising.

Yes, their shop cars are pretty amazing, however that service doesn't follow over to the customer.

I also wouldn't use Brenspeed for a high HP, high $$$ build.

JPC has done more with the 3v then anybody else I can think of off hand. They have a couple in the 8's if I remember, and a few in the 9's.

If I were you, and planning on putting this much $$$ into the car, do something different. Huge boost 3v's are never going to be reliable, its just a fact. You don't see any 800rwhp 3v daily drivers, because it just can't happen. The things you would need to do to the block start getting outrageous, and it doesn't become streetable. You'd be better off swapping a GT500 drivetrain in, toss a whipple 2.9/4.0 on the thing, and call it a day.
I couldn't dig a whole lot up. The one thread I did find had one guy saying they were bad and a couple of other guys saying their customers loved them. I suppose I'll have to dig deeper in the future.

As far as swapping motors, what GT500 engine? The 5.4? What about a coyote? Or a newer GT500 engine? My understanding is that the fastest cars in road track racing run aluminum blocks with boost because the power to weight ratio of the engine is so much better.

As far as that amount of boost, it doesn't seem to be impossible:
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showt...+twin+turbo+3v

But again, this is a long way off, if at all. Hell, I may decide that I only want 600-800hp. Who knows?
__________________
Hard work yields great rewards, but idle talk leads only to destruction.
Proverbs 14:23

“Faster, Faster, Until The Thrill Of Speed Overcomes The Fear Of Death.”
Hunter S. Thompson
Dubstep Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #39
S197GT07
5th Gear Member
 
S197GT07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Mass
Posts: 2,662
Default

Yes the 5.4, its already built-ish and can support a good amount of power. A 2011+ GT500 drivetrain will have the aluminum block. Toss on a TVS or Whipple and you can be at 600-700rwhp

Yes, the JPC car is nasty, no doubt, but you're not coming anywhere close to that with a PD blower on the DOB kit.
__________________
07 GT-Stick-Vert
|Stingers|JPC Resonators|ARH + O/R H|
|CMDP|Intake|Dyno Tune|WOTBOX|
305rwhp 322rwtq

For sale - GT500 H/E|GT500 Rails|GT500 Steering Wheel|Entire Car!|
S197GT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #40
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member
 
Dubstep Shep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 75
Wade Sheppard Big_Shepp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S197GT07 View Post
Yes the 5.4, its already built-ish and can support a good amount of power. A 2011+ GT500 drivetrain will have the aluminum block. Toss on a TVS or Whipple and you can be at 600-700rwhp

Yes, the JPC car is nasty, no doubt, but you're not coming anywhere close to that with a PD blower on the DOB kit.
Well the thing that's nice about the DOB kit is that I can upgrade to any GT500 supercharger, including the KB 4.2 Mammoth. As far as supercharger kits go, DOB offers the most versatility and the highest possibilities.

As far as the 5.4s, I've never really been a fan of the ones in the GT500. The only reason they can handle so much power is that they're cast iron. The engine setup isn't anything magical. The 5.0 on the other hand has way more power output for its size and weight, and I can get a reinforced, cast iron 5.0 modular block for the S197.

So what about the material of the block? Are there any better options than cast iron or aluminum?
Dubstep Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:48 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup