Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Screw it, let's blow some money.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 08:55 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep
Even a 302 running a ton of boost?

Brenspeed rates their engine at 1000hp. If I bought one I would shoot for a close to that as I could get.
1000hp huh? Thats at least a 50-60k build, with 850 to the tire.

Can't think of to many 3v's at that level, and the one or 2 I can think of have some major money into it.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
1000hp huh? Thats at least a 50-60k build, with 850 to the tire.

Can't think of to many 3v's at that level, and the one or 2 I can think of have some major money into it.
All together? Yea, that number seems accurate.

As for the engine I'm estimating the 15-25k range. The block is only 4k, the original supercharger is 5k, so that leaves some wiggle room for exhaust (2k?), heads (3k?), blower upgrades (6k?), SC system upgrades (1k?), cooling upgrades (1k?), etc. I'm literally pulling the last few numbers out of my ***, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I would LOVE to see the spreadsheet on one of these builds already.

My plans for this car extend over the next decade at the very least. It's a salvage title so I can't really sell it. Might as well make it awesome. Additionally it's a chance for me to learn some things as a Mechanic and as an Engineer.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:31 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

It's a salvage title so I can't really sell it.
I was going to say do yourself a favor and get a different engine block. It doesn't make sense to blow that much money on a 4.6L 3v when attaining that power level is a lot easier and probably cheaper with a bigger block.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
I was going to say do yourself a favor and get a different engine block. It doesn't make sense to blow that much money on a 4.6L 3v when attaining that power level is a lot easier and probably cheaper with a bigger block.
Hence the intent of doing a 5.0 with a 4.2L supercharger.

That said, I would still be replacing the block. You can't run 1000hp on a stock S197 block.

Modular Mustang Racing makes a variety of different blocks that work with S197s that have higher displacement. I've always been more of a boost guy anyway; it saves weight and space. My engine compartment is cramped enough as is lol.

But this is a bit off on a tangent. I won't be breaking into my block for a couple years at the minimum.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:24 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Hence the intent of doing a 5.0 with a 4.2L supercharger.

That said, I would still be replacing the block. You can't run 1000hp on a stock S197 block.

Modular Mustang Racing makes a variety of different blocks that work with S197s that have higher displacement. I've always been more of a boost guy anyway; it saves weight and space. My engine compartment is cramped enough as is lol.

But this is a bit off on a tangent. I won't be breaking into my block for a couple years at the minimum.
Even though its in the future, I can't stress this enough:

Stay FAR FAR away from MMR
Old 07-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Even though its in the future, I can't stress this enough:

Stay FAR FAR away from MMR
Since I'm a noob at this stuff, humor me on these guys.

They seem like they do quality work. Simply looking at the components they use and some of the claims they make it appears they are the real deal. Additionally, I can't find anyone else besides maybe Brenspeed that does anything with the 4.6

Now that I've said that, understand that's the opinion of someone with limited experience.

So why avoid them?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:22 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Since I'm a noob at this stuff, humor me on these guys.

They seem like they do quality work. Simply looking at the components they use and some of the claims they make it appears they are the real deal. Additionally, I can't find anyone else besides maybe Brenspeed that does anything with the 4.6

Now that I've said that, understand that's the opinion of someone with limited experience.

So why avoid them?
Do some googling, with the phrase **** MMR. I'm sure you can guess the 4 letter word that got bleeped out there.

Personally, I've had 0 experience, however, reading some of the issues others have had its quite surprising.

Yes, their shop cars are pretty amazing, however that service doesn't follow over to the customer.

I also wouldn't use Brenspeed for a high HP, high $$$ build.

JPC has done more with the 3v then anybody else I can think of off hand. They have a couple in the 8's if I remember, and a few in the 9's.

If I were you, and planning on putting this much $$$ into the car, do something different. Huge boost 3v's are never going to be reliable, its just a fact. You don't see any 800rwhp 3v daily drivers, because it just can't happen. The things you would need to do to the block start getting outrageous, and it doesn't become streetable. You'd be better off swapping a GT500 drivetrain in, toss a whipple 2.9/4.0 on the thing, and call it a day.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Do some googling, with the phrase **** MMR. I'm sure you can guess the 4 letter word that got bleeped out there.

Personally, I've had 0 experience, however, reading some of the issues others have had its quite surprising.

Yes, their shop cars are pretty amazing, however that service doesn't follow over to the customer.

I also wouldn't use Brenspeed for a high HP, high $$$ build.

JPC has done more with the 3v then anybody else I can think of off hand. They have a couple in the 8's if I remember, and a few in the 9's.

If I were you, and planning on putting this much $$$ into the car, do something different. Huge boost 3v's are never going to be reliable, its just a fact. You don't see any 800rwhp 3v daily drivers, because it just can't happen. The things you would need to do to the block start getting outrageous, and it doesn't become streetable. You'd be better off swapping a GT500 drivetrain in, toss a whipple 2.9/4.0 on the thing, and call it a day.
I couldn't dig a whole lot up. The one thread I did find had one guy saying they were bad and a couple of other guys saying their customers loved them. I suppose I'll have to dig deeper in the future.

As far as swapping motors, what GT500 engine? The 5.4? What about a coyote? Or a newer GT500 engine? My understanding is that the fastest cars in road track racing run aluminum blocks with boost because the power to weight ratio of the engine is so much better.

As far as that amount of boost, it doesn't seem to be impossible:
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showt...+twin+turbo+3v

But again, this is a long way off, if at all. Hell, I may decide that I only want 600-800hp. Who knows?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:14 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Yes the 5.4, its already built-ish and can support a good amount of power. A 2011+ GT500 drivetrain will have the aluminum block. Toss on a TVS or Whipple and you can be at 600-700rwhp

Yes, the JPC car is nasty, no doubt, but you're not coming anywhere close to that with a PD blower on the DOB kit.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Yes the 5.4, its already built-ish and can support a good amount of power. A 2011+ GT500 drivetrain will have the aluminum block. Toss on a TVS or Whipple and you can be at 600-700rwhp

Yes, the JPC car is nasty, no doubt, but you're not coming anywhere close to that with a PD blower on the DOB kit.
Well the thing that's nice about the DOB kit is that I can upgrade to any GT500 supercharger, including the KB 4.2 Mammoth. As far as supercharger kits go, DOB offers the most versatility and the highest possibilities.

As far as the 5.4s, I've never really been a fan of the ones in the GT500. The only reason they can handle so much power is that they're cast iron. The engine setup isn't anything magical. The 5.0 on the other hand has way more power output for its size and weight, and I can get a reinforced, cast iron 5.0 modular block for the S197.

So what about the material of the block? Are there any better options than cast iron or aluminum?

Quick Reply: Screw it, let's blow some money.