Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Screw it, let's blow some money.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:15 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep
Well the thing that's nice about the DOB kit is that I can upgrade to any GT500 supercharger, including the KB 4.2 Mammoth. As far as supercharger kits go, DOB offers the most versatility and the highest possibilities.

As far as the 5.4s, I've never really been a fan of the ones in the GT500. The only reason they can handle so much power is that they're cast iron. The engine setup isn't anything magical. The 5.0 on the other hand has way more power output for its size and weight, and I can get a reinforced, cast iron 5.0 modular block for the S197.

So what about the material of the block? Are there any better options than cast iron or aluminum?
I understand how the DOB kit works, as I almost bought one myself.

I'm saying you're not going to hit 1000rwhp with a twin screw blower on a 4.6 based engine. Jason is running his 3.4 pretty high and managed like 715 or something. If you want 1k, you need a turbo. Also any built 3v has VCT locked out, so you're not going to make that much power. There comes a point using a twin screw blower where the bigger it is doesn't mean its better, they have an efficiency range for the size of engine they should be on top of.

Again, re-read what I wrote above, the 2011+ shelby blocks are ALUMINUM. They can handle 600-700ish all day long with just fuel system upgrades.

The only think the 5.0 has going for it is the variable cam timing. But if you go build a 5.0, you might as well build a 5.8. Or be cool and toss a BBF in it

Only other option for material is billet. However mihovetz uses aluminum blocks and they work out pretty well for him
Old 07-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

So what about the Shelby 1000s? They use the mammoth kit and are street legal. I'm gonna say screw emissions if I go this far, I figure there shouldn't be any reason the same supercharger shouldn't be able to make that same power on a built engine that's almost the same size.

Also, I'm not opposed to a turbo on top of a supercharger, buuuut that's a whole 'nother discussion.

As far as putting a big block in, I'm not really wanting that. The idea of having a built, blown small block is appealing to me because of the weight to power ratio there, and that I won't be drag racing.

In any case, this whole deal is a little off topic as I won't really be getting into this for awhile.

Back to the subject at hand. What should I be looking at for my next upgrade?

Tires are out until my current ones finally wear out. I'm not about to buy something I already have when I couldn't resell what I have now for jack squat. Additionally, I was hoping to have the Griggs 315 kit done before I needed new tires so I could upgrade my wheels and tires.

Exhaust is still a possibility, though I haven't really decided much there.

Honestly I'm favoring starting on my suspension. The Urethane/heim combo seems to be the best choice for components, and I'd probably buy a watts link and LCAs at first. If American Muscle ever gets them back in stock I'll probably pick up the Yellow Koni shocks/struts as well. All together that should be close to my budget.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:58 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep
So what about the Shelby 1000s? They use the mammoth kit and are street legal. I'm gonna say screw emissions if I go this far, I figure there shouldn't be any reason the same supercharger shouldn't be able to make that same power on a built engine that's almost the same size.

Also, I'm not opposed to a turbo on top of a supercharger, buuuut that's a whole 'nother discussion.

As far as putting a big block in, I'm not really wanting that. The idea of having a built, blown small block is appealing to me because of the weight to power ratio there, and that I won't be drag racing.

In any case, this whole deal is a little off topic as I won't really be getting into this for awhile.

Back to the subject at hand. What should I be looking at for my next upgrade?

Tires are out until my current ones finally wear out. I'm not about to buy something I already have when I couldn't resell what I have now for jack squat. Additionally, I was hoping to have the Griggs 315 kit done before I needed new tires so I could upgrade my wheels and tires.

Exhaust is still a possibility, though I haven't really decided much there.

Honestly I'm favoring starting on my suspension. The Urethane/heim combo seems to be the best choice for components, and I'd probably buy a watts link and LCAs at first. If American Muscle ever gets them back in stock I'll probably pick up the Yellow Koni shocks/struts as well. All together that should be close to my budget.
I'm done the HP debate at this point, go at it as you wish, as there's a 99% chance things will change anyway. Engines aren't just a size, the shelby motor has a bigger bore, as well as a 4v head. Its an apples to orange comparison.

Suspension is a good place to start, because its going to be fundamental for putting future power to the ground. I would recommend a good set of coilovers over a koni/spring setup because the coilovers will give you height adjustment.

I think the griggs setup would be a little overkill for you, depending on your goals for the car. There is always going to be a push and pull. Want the worlds best road course suspension? Its going to effect daily drive-ability and NVH.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Agreed. Debating all that now is a bit premature.

As far as being overkill, from my discussion with Bruce Griggs it seems like the urethane heim jointed stuff is a good compromise. I haven't even noticed my poly engine mounts vs stock so a little NVH isn't gonna hurt. I used to ride a sport bike that was geared for acceleration for almost two hours a day to work and back. You wanna talk about loud, annoying, and uncomfortable...
Old 07-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Decided on a Griggs Watts link, LCAs, and Torque arm. Pretty much the entire rear suspension and I'm only slightly over budget.

Gotta say I'm pretty excited. I'll post up in my build thread when I can.