Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Screw it, let's blow some money.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Suspension, suspension, suspension. Get with Sharad from UPR. He posts on here fairly often. Let him know your plans for the car and he'll point you in the right direction.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
You could also save a few hundred dollars by buying it piece by piece when parts are on sale.

No argument that quality components are a must, I'm just saying that you shouldn't discount other brands just because they're not Griggs or a package set. I'm riding on Koni shocks and struts, H&R springs, Fays2 watts link, and a couple other smalls bits that are all quality components that cost me half of that Griggs setup. The car handles well past my ability as a driver.

If you do decide to go the suspension route, I recommend you sit down and decide what you NEED. What is it about the car that needs to be improved? Do you need better traction? Is there too much body roll? Stuff like that. After you've decided that you build your suspension list based on that with quality parts. Then you wait until they go on sale!
I mean, Griggs uses Koni components, so to an extent that's the same thing. And it isn't that I discount brands because they aren't Griggs. It's that Griggs is the only real name in SLA conversions, and they outrun anything else in the handling department. Yea, the kit I want from them is twice what most performance kits are, but it's probably twice as good. It's hard to beat lifetime warranty on the best performing parts you can buy. Hell, 50,000 miles later that'll pay for itself.

Ok, I think that covers everything. I think...

Another thing I may consider is buying a racing block and starting to build a motor. Not sure on this one really, as I wouldn't really even be turning up the boost, more or less just putting a good factor of safety between myself and exploding engines.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
If you want to supercharge, definitely get a full exhaust. It will compliment every other mod and sound awesome. Also, look in to MAC, they are reasonably priced and solidly built with the largest collectors of any brand. You can buy them ceramic coated or in chrome (I sent my chrome ones away to get ceramic coated). I have the Mac longtubes and ProChamber (crossover) and the fit and finish are excellent. With no other mods they gave me a very healthy and strong gain from mid range to redline and they sound great.

Wrote a thread here about my exhaust only gains: https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...o-results.html

exhaust work with any forced induction is always a great way to build towards future proofing.

Mustang 5.0 mag did a header comparison and awarded MAC as the winenr fir their supercharged GT shoot out:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...s/viewall.html
So my concern with the MAC in that they're a 2.5" collector. Apparently, you can get 3" all the way through with the Stainless works, which I would think is a large advantage. I've always loved the sound of Borla, and it's the only reason I'm feeling SW more than Borla.

Originally Posted by S197GT07
Alrighty.

First off, if you need any parts for the GT500 conversion let me know. I decided against mine, and have a few pieces laying around that are for sale.

As far as exhaust, I would go with ARH for headers, they are the best. Pick the muffler of your choice via youtube videos. My car sounds like the following:
2006 Silver Mustang GT ARH Long Tubes FRPP Stingers S197 - YouTube

As far as suspension, I think it depends on what your goals are with the car. If you want it to be a 100% road course monster, go with griggs. If not, there are much more cost friendly options that are still high quality.
I'm doing the conversion through Crown Aviation of the Department of Boost forum, so he's providing everything I need in a package deal. You might talk to him if you're looking to offload those parts though.

Again, I had originally looked past ARH because they're only 2.5" collector. Granted, I think ARH makes the best quality headers, but the minor edge in quality I fell they may have over Borla and SW is overshadowed by the sound of Borla and the larger tube size of SW.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Also, as far as what I want to do with the car, the answer is road track racing. Not really autocross though. More high speed.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:09 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep
Again, I had originally looked past ARH because they're only 2.5" collector. Granted, I think ARH makes the best quality headers, but the minor edge in quality I fell they may have over Borla and SW is overshadowed by the sound of Borla and the larger tube size of SW.
a 3" collector isn't going to do much for you on a 4.6 based motor, unless you were running like 20psi. You have to remember in the grand scheme of things we have small motors.

I think somebody dynoed with a full 3" system and they actually lost power.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:14 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

a 3" collector isn't going to do much for you on a 4.6 based motor, unless you were running like 20psi. You have to remember in the grand scheme of things we have small motors.

I wouldn't be surprised. Unless your car is dumping massive amounts of exhaust, the scavenging effect is lost with an exhaust system that is too large (there goes some torque).

Remember torque does two things; wins races and breaks stuff.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:19 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep
I mean, Griggs uses Koni components, so to an extent that's the same thing. And it isn't that I discount brands because they aren't Griggs. It's that Griggs is the only real name in SLA conversions, and they outrun anything else in the handling department. Yea, the kit I want from them is twice what most performance kits are, but it's probably twice as good. It's hard to beat lifetime warranty on the best performing parts you can buy. Hell, 50,000 miles later that'll pay for itself.

Ok, I think that covers everything. I think...

Another thing I may consider is buying a racing block and starting to build a motor. Not sure on this one really, as I wouldn't really even be turning up the boost, more or less just putting a good factor of safety between myself and exploding engines.
Can you clarify what you mean by SLA conversions? Just curious, because I'm reading this as you want to convert to SLA, which the Mustang already has. Unless you mean you want to convert it to IRS, which is a whole new ball game.

Edit: not trying to discourage you from getting the Griggs kit, I just want to make sure you're making the right choice based on your needs. Don't want you to spend more money than you have to
Old 07-19-2013, 06:04 AM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

I'm not particularly surprised by that. However if I ever do get around to building my engine, having pipes that size would be nice, as I'll probably stroke it to a 302. Brenspeed has a pretty nice preassembled lower.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:07 AM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
Can you clarify what you mean by SLA conversions? Just curious, because I'm reading this as you want to convert to SLA, which the Mustang already has. Unless you mean you want to convert it to IRS, which is a whole new ball game.

Edit: not trying to discourage you from getting the Griggs kit, I just want to make sure you're making the right choice based on your needs. Don't want you to spend more money than you have to
No the S197 mustang has McPherson struts for front suspension. SLA stands for short arm long arm. It's the dual A arm front suspension. It cambers your wheels into the direction you're turning. Pretty slick stuff.

There actually is an IRS kit for the S197, but Griggs recommended against it.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:07 AM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Ok, so lets say I do suspension.

What components come first on the list?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Screw it, let's blow some money.