MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (http://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L V8 Technical Discussions (http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions-69/)
-   -   Screw it, let's blow some money. (http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions/698302-screw-it-lets-blow-some-money.html)

Dubstep Shep 07-17-2013 09:22 PM

Screw it, let's blow some money.
 
Hello again gents,

So I recently sold some hardware that goes bang and the money is burning a hole in my pocket.

Currently I have a set of projects I'm working on. I need to install my gears and bushings installed at some point, but I'm waiting on a garage. Should be signing a lease tomorrow with one so that'll be nice.

Anyways, I already have plans to do a GT500 Supercharger conversion, and I've set that $$$ apart already. Really I'm trying to figure out what to get that would complement that well.

My thing is I don't like spending money on things twice, or on things that aren't terribly worthwhile. That said, I love buying brand name, top of the line components. Do it right the first time.

So what're some suggestions?

I've talked to the guys at Griggs racing and they said they're lowest cost kit would be like 4k. A couple grand more than I want to spend right now. They told me I could build the kit piece mail, but that it would be more expensive. Again, I hate spending more money than I need to.

Other option is a full exhaust. I've done some research and the two brands I really like are Borla and Stainless Works. I'd be getting them Ceramic coated before I installed them as well. Either of these systems would be pushing my budget.

Other options include:

Visual upgrades. Not a huge fan of these at this stage. I like the sleeper look of the Bullitt.

Getting started on my sound system. Might be worthwhile, but I'm waiting off on this one until I complete my supercharger system as it relocates the alternator. Gotta know what I can do before I start spending money.

More power upgrades. I'm pretty limited on this one, and honestly they don't make a whole lot of sense. With this Supercharger Conversion, I'll be making about 450 crank HP, and that's about as much as I want to make before I break into the block, so any power adders I do mean I turn down the boost. Not necessarily bad, but not quite as worthwhile. I wouldn't get the full value of the mods until I rebuild the motor. The reason I'm considering exhaust is that I would love a more aggressive sound, and doing a supercharger I think it might be a good idea. Opinions?

Any other ideas?

JCON 07-17-2013 10:36 PM

If you want to supercharge, definitely get a full exhaust. It will compliment every other mod and sound awesome. Also, look in to MAC, they are reasonably priced and solidly built with the largest collectors of any brand. You can buy them ceramic coated or in chrome (I sent my chrome ones away to get ceramic coated). I have the Mac longtubes and ProChamber (crossover) and the fit and finish are excellent. With no other mods they gave me a very healthy and strong gain from mid range to redline and they sound great.

Wrote a thread here about my exhaust only gains: http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-...o-results.html

exhaust work with any forced induction is always a great way to build towards future proofing.

Mustang 5.0 mag did a header comparison and awarded MAC as the winenr fir their supercharged GT shoot out:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...s/viewall.html

CMcNam 07-18-2013 03:03 AM

I vote suspension. Power's no good if you can't put it to the pavement. No reason to buy something so expensive though just because you want to stick with a brand name. There are much cheaper options (not too cheap...) that will accomplish more than you can handle. Start with the handling section to see what would be the best route.

Dubstep Shep 07-18-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMcNam (Post 8249999)
I vote suspension. Power's no good if you can't put it to the pavement. No reason to buy something so expensive though just because you want to stick with a brand name. There are much cheaper options (not too cheap...) that will accomplish more than you can handle. Start with the handling section to see what would be the best route.

Well the deal with suspension is I could save a few hundred dollars minimum by ordering it all at once. I hate spending money I don't need to.

Also, quality components are a must. There is a sign in a gun store i frequent: "The novelty of low price wears off long before the satisfaction of a quality product." Idk what you were thinking as far as suspension, but at some point I intend on doing a SLA setup, likely through Griggs

S197GT07 07-18-2013 08:02 AM

Alrighty.

First off, if you need any parts for the GT500 conversion let me know. I decided against mine, and have a few pieces laying around that are for sale.

As far as exhaust, I would go with ARH for headers, they are the best. Pick the muffler of your choice via youtube videos. My car sounds like the following:

As far as suspension, I think it depends on what your goals are with the car. If you want it to be a 100% road course monster, go with griggs. If not, there are much more cost friendly options that are still high quality.

sbradle4 07-18-2013 11:33 AM

Man, I need someone to "donate" me some money for a supercharger... haha


I say definitely go with suspension upgrades... The only visual upgrades that I really like are wheels and maybe racing stripes.

hootie_john 07-18-2013 11:56 AM

I would think you could knock out both suspension and a decently-priced exhaust. Springs/shocks/struts/LCA/UCA and a panhard bar. Solid. Will outperform what 99% of drivers can throw at it. Then, LT headers and matching midpipe/mufflers of your choice. MAC and the BBK get good reviews, and won't break the bank. If you don't want to do it twice, get coated and opt for some good header gaskets. The suspension will help put power to the ground, and the exhaust will help both sound and power from the FI.

CMcNam 07-18-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep (Post 8250018)
Well the deal with suspension is I could save a few hundred dollars minimum by ordering it all at once. I hate spending money I don't need to.

Also, quality components are a must. There is a sign in a gun store i frequent: "The novelty of low price wears off long before the satisfaction of a quality product." Idk what you were thinking as far as suspension, but at some point I intend on doing a SLA setup, likely through Griggs

You could also save a few hundred dollars by buying it piece by piece when parts are on sale.

No argument that quality components are a must, I'm just saying that you shouldn't discount other brands just because they're not Griggs or a package set. I'm riding on Koni shocks and struts, H&R springs, Fays2 watts link, and a couple other smalls bits that are all quality components that cost me half of that Griggs setup. The car handles well past my ability as a driver.

If you do decide to go the suspension route, I recommend you sit down and decide what you NEED. What is it about the car that needs to be improved? Do you need better traction? Is there too much body roll? Stuff like that. After you've decided that you build your suspension list based on that with quality parts. Then you wait until they go on sale!

Dubstep Shep 07-18-2013 12:29 PM

Well I managed to read all the posts on my lunch break but I'll have to wait until tonight after work to really get into it and respond to all of them lol.

Mr.Ski 07-18-2013 03:43 PM

Shelby Performance parts has a killer deal right now on Borla catbacks... yes catback. $399 for the Borla touring catback.

Diabolical! 07-18-2013 05:07 PM

Suspension, suspension, suspension. Get with Sharad from UPR. He posts on here fairly often. Let him know your plans for the car and he'll point you in the right direction.

Dubstep Shep 07-18-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMcNam (Post 8250174)
You could also save a few hundred dollars by buying it piece by piece when parts are on sale.

No argument that quality components are a must, I'm just saying that you shouldn't discount other brands just because they're not Griggs or a package set. I'm riding on Koni shocks and struts, H&R springs, Fays2 watts link, and a couple other smalls bits that are all quality components that cost me half of that Griggs setup. The car handles well past my ability as a driver.

If you do decide to go the suspension route, I recommend you sit down and decide what you NEED. What is it about the car that needs to be improved? Do you need better traction? Is there too much body roll? Stuff like that. After you've decided that you build your suspension list based on that with quality parts. Then you wait until they go on sale!

I mean, Griggs uses Koni components, so to an extent that's the same thing. And it isn't that I discount brands because they aren't Griggs. It's that Griggs is the only real name in SLA conversions, and they outrun anything else in the handling department. Yea, the kit I want from them is twice what most performance kits are, but it's probably twice as good. It's hard to beat lifetime warranty on the best performing parts you can buy. Hell, 50,000 miles later that'll pay for itself.





Ok, I think that covers everything. I think...

Another thing I may consider is buying a racing block and starting to build a motor. Not sure on this one really, as I wouldn't really even be turning up the boost, more or less just putting a good factor of safety between myself and exploding engines.

Dubstep Shep 07-18-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCON (Post 8249955)
If you want to supercharge, definitely get a full exhaust. It will compliment every other mod and sound awesome. Also, look in to MAC, they are reasonably priced and solidly built with the largest collectors of any brand. You can buy them ceramic coated or in chrome (I sent my chrome ones away to get ceramic coated). I have the Mac longtubes and ProChamber (crossover) and the fit and finish are excellent. With no other mods they gave me a very healthy and strong gain from mid range to redline and they sound great.

Wrote a thread here about my exhaust only gains: http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-...o-results.html

exhaust work with any forced induction is always a great way to build towards future proofing.

Mustang 5.0 mag did a header comparison and awarded MAC as the winenr fir their supercharged GT shoot out:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...s/viewall.html

So my concern with the MAC in that they're a 2.5" collector. Apparently, you can get 3" all the way through with the Stainless works, which I would think is a large advantage. I've always loved the sound of Borla, and it's the only reason I'm feeling SW more than Borla.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S197GT07 (Post 8250062)
Alrighty.

First off, if you need any parts for the GT500 conversion let me know. I decided against mine, and have a few pieces laying around that are for sale.

As far as exhaust, I would go with ARH for headers, they are the best. Pick the muffler of your choice via youtube videos. My car sounds like the following:
2006 Silver Mustang GT ARH Long Tubes FRPP Stingers S197 - YouTube

As far as suspension, I think it depends on what your goals are with the car. If you want it to be a 100% road course monster, go with griggs. If not, there are much more cost friendly options that are still high quality.

I'm doing the conversion through Crown Aviation of the Department of Boost forum, so he's providing everything I need in a package deal. You might talk to him if you're looking to offload those parts though.

Again, I had originally looked past ARH because they're only 2.5" collector. Granted, I think ARH makes the best quality headers, but the minor edge in quality I fell they may have over Borla and SW is overshadowed by the sound of Borla and the larger tube size of SW.

Dubstep Shep 07-18-2013 05:30 PM

Also, as far as what I want to do with the car, the answer is road track racing. Not really autocross though. More high speed.

S197GT07 07-18-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep (Post 8250387)
Again, I had originally looked past ARH because they're only 2.5" collector. Granted, I think ARH makes the best quality headers, but the minor edge in quality I fell they may have over Borla and SW is overshadowed by the sound of Borla and the larger tube size of SW.

a 3" collector isn't going to do much for you on a 4.6 based motor, unless you were running like 20psi. You have to remember in the grand scheme of things we have small motors.

I think somebody dynoed with a full 3" system and they actually lost power.

JCON 07-18-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S197GT07 (Post 8250450)
a 3" collector isn't going to do much for you on a 4.6 based motor, unless you were running like 20psi. You have to remember in the grand scheme of things we have small motors.

I think somebody dynoed with a full 3" system and they actually lost power.

I wouldn't be surprised. Unless your car is dumping massive amounts of exhaust, the scavenging effect is lost with an exhaust system that is too large (there goes some torque).

Remember torque does two things; wins races and breaks stuff. :)

CMcNam 07-19-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep (Post 8250386)
I mean, Griggs uses Koni components, so to an extent that's the same thing. And it isn't that I discount brands because they aren't Griggs. It's that Griggs is the only real name in SLA conversions, and they outrun anything else in the handling department. Yea, the kit I want from them is twice what most performance kits are, but it's probably twice as good. It's hard to beat lifetime warranty on the best performing parts you can buy. Hell, 50,000 miles later that'll pay for itself.



Ok, I think that covers everything. I think...

Another thing I may consider is buying a racing block and starting to build a motor. Not sure on this one really, as I wouldn't really even be turning up the boost, more or less just putting a good factor of safety between myself and exploding engines.

Can you clarify what you mean by SLA conversions? Just curious, because I'm reading this as you want to convert to SLA, which the Mustang already has. Unless you mean you want to convert it to IRS, which is a whole new ball game.

Edit: not trying to discourage you from getting the Griggs kit, I just want to make sure you're making the right choice based on your needs. Don't want you to spend more money than you have to :)

Dubstep Shep 07-19-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S197GT07 (Post 8250450)
a 3" collector isn't going to do much for you on a 4.6 based motor, unless you were running like 20psi. You have to remember in the grand scheme of things we have small motors.

I think somebody dynoed with a full 3" system and they actually lost power.

I'm not particularly surprised by that. However if I ever do get around to building my engine, having pipes that size would be nice, as I'll probably stroke it to a 302. Brenspeed has a pretty nice preassembled lower.

Dubstep Shep 07-19-2013 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMcNam (Post 8250581)
Can you clarify what you mean by SLA conversions? Just curious, because I'm reading this as you want to convert to SLA, which the Mustang already has. Unless you mean you want to convert it to IRS, which is a whole new ball game.

Edit: not trying to discourage you from getting the Griggs kit, I just want to make sure you're making the right choice based on your needs. Don't want you to spend more money than you have to :)

No the S197 mustang has McPherson struts for front suspension. SLA stands for short arm long arm. It's the dual A arm front suspension. It cambers your wheels into the direction you're turning. Pretty slick stuff.

There actually is an IRS kit for the S197, but Griggs recommended against it.

Dubstep Shep 07-19-2013 06:07 AM

Ok, so lets say I do suspension.

What components come first on the list?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.