Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
FYTYTY

Vehicle: 2010 Ford Mustang GT
Default Check Charging System Warning

I was very fortunate this happened to me when I was near my house so it wasn't terrible getting back into my garage, but today the car simply wouldn't start. Electronics were all pretty much dead. After getting someone to help me jumper, things started to turn on but engine refused to budge. I ended up replacing the battery completely and I was able to get it started and got it back home. However, I'm now getting a Check Charging System when I start the car. This is the first time I've seen this light and am not sure what is causing it. I also saw some "Service Advance Track" one come on at some point after this occurence as well so I'm not sure if they're related or not.

Anyone have ideas where to look (other forums were pointing at alternator, wanted to get some more opinions)? It's a 2010 Mustang GT and is all stock under the hood. I measured the battery before starting the car (~12.5V) and sitting at idle it was ~13.5V so I didn't think there was a problem charging the battery, but I'm not really an expert here lol. Thanks in advance for any info!

--------------------------------------------

EDIT 1

I just read some other posts and am now wondering if that 13.5V is actually enough at idle?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Last edited by FYTYTY; 07-28-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Read some more posts
FYTYTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
Tbones80

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT

13.5 is enough to charge, but these alternators can be tricky. They test fine but are still junk. Volts are there but not the amps and may also be "dirty power", where the volts/amps fluctuate. Low voltage really messes with electronics, hence the other codes youre getting.

IMO change the alternator.
Tbones80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbones80 View Post

IMO change the alternator.
+1

Knowing the history of the S197 charging system, DESPITE the fact that you're 6 years into the S197 model, I'd take the safe route and buy the PA Performance alternator (unless you can get Ford to replace it under warranty). It's tried and proven.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
FYTYTY

Vehicle: 2010 Ford Mustang GT

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards alternator too. I've seen that PA one pop up but checking their site they only go up to the 2008 Mustang which is unfortunate (unless it fits, I'm not sure). I'll keep looking around for one. Even though it's under warranty I'd rather not want to worry about being stranded again if the replacement is just going to do the same thing to me somewhere down the line.

Last edited by FYTYTY; 07-29-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: fixed typo :[
FYTYTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT and 1985 Ford T-bird 302

Just buy it from american muscle

thats where I boguht my 200amp PA alt
Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYTYTY View Post
... I've seen that PA one pop up but checking their site they only go up to the 2008 Mustang which is unfortunate (unless it fits, I'm not sure). I'll keep looking around for one...
Not to burst your bubble but the '10 has the same engine and accessories as the 05's thru '09's with the exception of the OE tune and the airbox.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement