Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Hesitation/surge under light throttle

Old 07-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Before you mess with the tune, did you recently change the tune and notice the issue or did it just show up after no issues with the tune for a like a few weeks or long? If you just changed the tune then it could be tune related. If you didn't, then you're just chasing your tail.

Never thought of the CMP tho..hummmm...
Old 07-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Suicide Bobb
1st Gear Member

At this rate, I might as well get delete plates if I'm going to put in the work to clean the CMP's...which delete plate should I get if so? I don't imagine it makes much of a difference which brand I get, but I wouldn't know.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:34 AM
Tbones80

Brand wouldnt matter, but imo make them yourself. Grind the rivets to take the butterflies off, pull the rods out, jb weld or just have the holes welded in. Call the tuner to compensate for the airflow and cel, and put the $200 ya just saved into some other mod!
Old 07-31-2013, 03:07 PM
Suicide Bobb
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tbones80
Brand wouldnt matter, but imo make them yourself. Grind the rivets to take the butterflies off, pull the rods out, jb weld or just have the holes welded in. Call the tuner to compensate for the airflow and cel, and put the $200 ya just saved into some other mod!
Wow, really? That sounds like a great idea! Thanks for the tip. Did you do the same?
Old 08-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Su Roberts

Default Throttle Body cleaning vs replacing

My Ford dealer told me that I shouldn't clean my throttle body just replace it I have a 2005 GT with 93,000 miles. What should I do replace or clean. I am noticing some idle drop when I come to a stop and when I turned my a/c on the air would go from cold to warm back to cold. Any suggests would be appreciated. thanks
Old 08-23-2013, 05:27 AM
Tbones80

Originally Posted by Su Roberts
My Ford dealer told me that I shouldn't clean my throttle body just replace it I have a 2005 GT with 93,000 miles. What should I do replace or clean. I am noticing some idle drop when I come to a stop and when I turned my a/c on the air would go from cold to warm back to cold. Any suggests would be appreciated. thanks
Can't see any reason to replace the TB. Just clean it. Sounds like a money grab to me. $10 fix vs a couple hundred. Easy decision for me.

And yes I made my own delete plates. Lots of people have done it. Nice little project!
Old 09-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Suicide Bobb
1st Gear Member

So it's been over a month, and still no reply back from my PM sent to AM Dan. The issue has gotten slightly worse since I made this thread. Throttle application when accelerating from a stop is jumpy and inconsistent. It just seems like it's being starved for fuel under certain circumstances. I'm left thinking it's either fuel injectors or the fuel pump. I tried seafoam, replaced fuel filter, cleaned MAF and throttle body, only thing I haven't done is clean the CMP's because I know I'm just going to spend 3 hours doing it to no avail. Anyone have an idea?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:13 AM
roegs
1st Gear Member

I have a post in the main section with some of the same issues. I'm leaning towards the TPS switch in my case. I removed the TPS this evening and connected it to an analog ohm meter so that I could check for erratic behavior as I slowly turned the part that connects to the throttle body. The resistance reading should be smooth through the range of the TPS movement. Sure enough, there was some notchiness at the beginning of the travel (area where the throttle plate would start opening). Just to see if it helped, I manually worked the TPS while blowing compressed air into it and reinstalled back onto the TB. I only have a few miles on so far, but its driving like a new car. Might be worth checking yours...

Last edited by roegs; 09-26-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:46 AM
Suicide Bobb
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by roegs
I have a post in the main section with some of the same issues. I'm leaning towards the TPS switch in my case. I removed the TPS this evening and connected it to an analog ohm meter so that I could check for erratic behavior as I slowly turned the part that connects to the throttle body. The resistance reading should be smooth through the range of the TPS movement. Sure enough, there was some notchiness at the beginning of the travel (area where the throttle plate would start opening). Just to see if it helped, I manually worked the TPS while blowing compressed air into it and reinstalled back onto the TB. I only have a few miles on so far, but its driving like a new car. Might be worth checking yours...
You know, that was my other thought. It definitely feels like it could be throttle related, because it only happens under light throttle. I have a multimeter, so I'll go check it out tonight if I can and post back with the results!
Old 09-26-2013, 03:15 AM
Suicide Bobb
1st Gear Member

DUDE! It worked! I would hug you right now if I could lol (no homo)

Spun my tires through second and into third, and I can do partial-throttle power slides in first gear again (instead of full throttle). Also, heel-toe downshifts are more consistent since they require less revs, and thus less throttle application. My baby is back!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hesitation/surge under light throttle