Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

E-Force Throttle Body WTF?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 AM
Stuntman Mike

Originally Posted by Nuke
Moosestang was as much defending you as he was taking a shot at me... Which I certainly deserved. Good luck with the TB!
No worries, bud.

Update time. I was able to replicate the failure on the way home from work last night. Throttle hung at 2500, again after I'd gotten off of the freeway and sat at some stoplights. Fortunately I was only two blocks from home. I pulled in the driveway, shut the car off, popped the hood, removed the duct, and immediately played with the throttle blade. No binding, no detent, snapped shut smoothly every time. I set my iPhone up to take video and then turned the key to "On" and made multiple cycles of me getting on and off the gas. I watched the video and the throttle blade opened and closed just like you expected it would.

So I put the duct back on without the hose clamps and went driving around the neighborhood. Everything worked fine. Then I pulled over to the side of the road and just let it idle (get hot) for about three minutes. Pulled out and throttle started to hang again. I got it back in the driveway, set the e-brake and just started goosing the gas. I got it to hang at 3000. I was really weird to step out of my car (in neutral, mind you) with the car holding 3000 rpms on its own. I shut the car off, immediately pull the duct off and repeated what I'd described above in regards to the TB blade. Everything was fine . . .

I'm starting to think more and more that this is electrical and not the throttle body? I just saw that Dorman makes a replacement TB actuator without having to buy an entirely new TB. I ordered one yesterday and I should have it tomorrow. I'm very interested to see what happens. Stay tuned . . .
Old 09-10-2013, 12:35 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

I have had issues with the stock dirty TB / fuel adaptive learning silliness... Have you tried the adaptive learn reset with the battery? Not sure it is the issue, but one more thing to eliminate from the list of possibilities.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:32 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

If it isn't the actuator, check the TPS maybe?
What tune are you running - the edelbrock tune? Do you have a way to data log?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

It could be several things, tune, TB, vacuum leak.

There is a specific setting in the tune called dashpot I think. It controls the stuff you are describing.

Does having the AC on change anything? Different after its warmed up?
Old 05-31-2014, 03:54 PM
Stuntman Mike

Resurrecting. I was doing a search and came upon my old thread. Thought at least I'd let you know how this turned out.

I installed the aftermarket throttle actuator and it worked great right up until it didn't. Ended up stalling between a freeway on-ramp and off-ramp and two CHP units had to block traffic so it could get loaded on a flatbed. Got it home, took off the aftermarket actuator, and ended up Fed Ex'ing the throttle body back to Edelbrock. I was never told what was wrong, but they did say they found something wrong with the TB, reworked / repaired it, and overnighted it back to me. The only evidence that something had been tampered with was that there was now an "X" stamped into the back of the throttle plate.

Things have been running fine since, although I must say that I'm so paranoid about it now that I clean the TB about every 5000 miles.

I know that people say that their TB manufacturing issues were resolved well before I bought my E-Force kit, but that fact that I had to exchange my TB, only to have the replacement one do the same thing and require rework, makes me think otherwise. Hopefully it was only a bad batch for them. Meanwhile, my can of TB cleaner is always at the ready.

I don't know if anyone else had the hassles that I did last year when they ran their $500 rebate promotion, but at least I thought I would offer this as a "data point" if someone else would ever end up searching the forum for something along these lines.