Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

GT Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 11:09 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Forget about getting it to a shop. Order a CAI & custom tune from American Muscle or Brenspeed. They'll turn the O2's off with the tune plus you'll gain about 20-25 RWHP. Even a custom 87 octane tune runs circles around the stock 87 tune. When you order the tunes (you typically get 3), they'll ask questions to help them tailor the tune to your mods.
This. Plus AM has the tunes for life program - you get a new mod, they rewrite your tunes for you. You can't do much of anything to these cars without getting the tune updated.

If you're thinking big HP down the road, skip the bolt on method and go straight to supercharger. Cheaper in the long run, and you'll come out way ahead on power. ALL the bolt ons will get you to around 350 at the wheels, and be very expensive. A decent SC will get you to 400-450 at the wheels, probably cheaper than the full bolt on route. And, it will drive stock until you step on the loud pedal.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:08 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Or you could look at the Steeda unit ...

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-2...ir-intake.html

Steeda's new Cold Air Kit for the S197 produces the greatest power gains of any Cold Air Kit on the market. Testing has shown increases of up to 38 HP and 30 ft lbs of Torque to the rear wheels with Steeda's Cold Air Kit combined with our Custom SCT Tune.

"SCT has seen the highest horsepower and torque results while using Steeda's Cold Air Kit, over any other brand." - Chris Johnson, President of SCT Tuning
Send me an email and we can talk about your goals, budget and what you are looking to accomplish.

Check out our company ... you will be very impressed that we have our manufacturing facilities in the United States ... our parts are made in the U.S.A.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 10-02-2013, 01:58 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hootie_john
This. Plus AM has the tunes for life program - you get a new mod, they rewrite your tunes for you. You can't do much of anything to these cars without getting the tune updated.

If you're thinking big HP down the road, skip the bolt on method and go straight to supercharger. Cheaper in the long run, and you'll come out way ahead on power. ALL the bolt ons will get you to around 350 at the wheels, and be very expensive. A decent SC will get you to 400-450 at the wheels, probably cheaper than the full bolt on route. And, it will drive stock until you step on the loud pedal.
Brenspeed does the same thing as far as tunes. If you buy the part from them they send you an updated tune at no extra charge
Old 10-02-2013, 02:52 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jay Man
O no there is a CEL. I asked the guy about the CEL and he told me it was due to no cats. That is one reason I need to get it to a shop and have them tune it and turn off that error message.
What is your budget for your mod list?

Do you have to pass emissions (smog) test in your area?

As far as performance, as Nuke stated, tuner/CAI combo is the way to go!

Brenspeed and American Muscle offer excellent tunes and great customer service. I ordered my custom tunes from Brenspeed and purchased numerous parts from American Muscle. They are both reputable companies!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 10-02-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Jay Man

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
What is your budget for your mod list?

Do you have to pass emissions (smog) test in your area?

As far as performance, as Nuke stated, tuner/CAI combo is the way to go!

Brenspeed and American Muscle offer excellent tunes and great customer service. I ordered my custom tunes from Brenspeed and purchased numerous parts from American Muscle. They are both reputable companies!
Thanks for the info.

My budget is pretty much open. If I have to wait to get a part I will save up and get the part when I have the money.

Oklahoma does not require any emission checks. From the OK DMV website "Because of that good air quality, Oklahoma is one of the few remaining states that does not require emissions checks for motor vehicles"

AM recommends this for the 05-09 GT 4.6L http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid...er-0509gt.html

I am not sure which CAI is the best for my car or any mods for that matter. One of the reasons I am here to read and learn.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Jay Man

Thanks for all the other replies as well. I will check out Steeda as well TJ.

I have another question as well. The pipe system that is on the car now has a rattling sound around the mid to high 2k rpms and clears out around the low to mid 3k rpms. What is making this sound? Can it be fixed by getting better pipes? The guy told me he just got some generic pipes and put on the car. I can do a youtube video and let you guys hear it if you want.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:03 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

We have tunes for life as well ... it comes standard now with tunes that are purchased through Steeda.com

The sound may be a baffle that came loose in the muffler. It is hard to diagnose without having heard or had contact with the car.

To get more educated on our CAI ... here is a technical write up that we did on our unit:

http://www.steeda.com/blog/2012/03/m...-intake-truth/

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 10-03-2013, 09:45 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the info.

My budget is pretty much open. If I have to wait to get a part I will save up and get the part when I have the money.

Oklahoma does not require any emission checks. From the OK DMV website "Because of that good air quality, Oklahoma is one of the few remaining states that does not require emissions checks for motor vehicles"

AM recommends this for the 05-09 GT 4.6L http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid...er-0509gt.html

I am not sure which CAI is the best for my car or any mods for that matter. One of the reasons I am here to read and learn.
GA requires the smog test, however I am able to pass with my Brenspeed emissions friendly tunes. =)

I am very happy with my Airaid CAI. Airaid manufactures their CAI's and sells to Roush. Only difference, Roush adds their logo on it and increases the price!

With that being said, the Airaid CAI/tuner combo from AM would be a great mod! It can get you anywhere from 25 - 30 HP gains.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 10-03-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
We have tunes for life as well ... it comes standard now with tunes that are purchased through Steeda.com

The sound may be a baffle that came loose in the muffler. It is hard to diagnose without having heard or had contact with the car.

To get more educated on our CAI ... here is a technical write up that we did on our unit:

http://www.steeda.com/blog/2012/03/m...-intake-truth/

Best Regards,

TJ
mine has one of these
it was done by the previous owner
the car pulls strong and runs like a rolls royce.
highly recomended.
how do i use it lol?
the last owner was a top merc mechanic and knew his stuff
Old 10-03-2013, 03:12 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the other replies as well. I will check out Steeda as well TJ.

I have another question as well. The pipe system that is on the car now has a rattling sound around the mid to high 2k rpms and clears out around the low to mid 3k rpms. What is making this sound? Can it be fixed by getting better pipes? The guy told me he just got some generic pipes and put on the car. I can do a youtube video and let you guys hear it if you want.
Does it do it all the time, or just when cold? There is a TSB for a rattle that occurs about there when cold (mine does it). That's caused by some plate between the tranny and engine as I recall. If it does it when the engine is warm, that it's a different issue... If you think it's the exhaust the first thing I would do is get under the car and see if anything seems loose at all with the exhaust. Could be something as simple as a loose clamp bolt, etc.

Quick Reply: GT Upgrades