Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

First mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Ezuh

Default First mods

So I just got my first mustang, an 08 gt/cs Vista blue, w/ a 5 speed. It has a cold air intake, lowered 2 inches on eibach springs. Mods so far i've done is a Short antenna, and a new shift ****. Im looking for more good mods to start with. Im am fairly experienced with tools and can figure most things out. Had to do Balljoints/trackbar/End links/Axle seals/Breaks on my ram before I sold it. Worst mistake I ever made was buying it in the first place haha. But what are some more easy, cheap power increasing mods? Thanks guys.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:20 PM
decipha
2nd Gear Member

the best thing you can do is leave it stock and bolt a turbo on it
Old 11-04-2013, 04:06 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ezuh
So I just got my first mustang, an 08 gt/cs Vista blue, w/ a 5 speed. It has a cold air intake, lowered 2 inches on eibach springs. Mods so far i've done is a Short antenna, and a new shift ****. Im looking for more good mods to start with. Im am fairly experienced with tools and can figure most things out. Had to do Balljoints/trackbar/End links/Axle seals/Breaks on my ram before I sold it. Worst mistake I ever made was buying it in the first place haha. But what are some more easy, cheap power increasing mods? Thanks guys.
Here's a cheap but substantial power increase:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-x...catted-05.html

Here's cheap but substantial traction upgrade:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...ushing-05.html

I installed these upgrades on my '06 Gt Manual and they made a big improvement.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:58 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

You could do a full exhaust. Do headers and some cams for about an extra 30 hp. Or just slap a blower on it and be done with it. Gears will get you some if you go the route of cams and exhaust. If you have the money to do a forced induction then that's the way you should go. Also cut some weight from your car
Old 11-04-2013, 07:06 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

First mods will be based on what your goals are? Are you going to super or turbo charge it eventually?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Ezuh

Well I forgot to mention it's under warranty so I can't get away with an x-pipe. And im from Arizona (The valley) So unfortnately I can't really get away without cat's for emissions. Maybe one of these Arizona guys will chime in and see how they go about it. Essentially all my goals are right now, are Just have a very good, very good clean looking car. I want to have some fun though, I want to have a stupidly loud exhaust, which I dunno how to go about getting that in Arizona unless I just go strait pipes and get rid of my ****ty MBRP axle back now. But my goals are just have a clean, fun, reliable car that looks badass and sounds the part. Also want good drive-ability.

Last edited by Ezuh; 11-04-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:40 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

first thing first is cold air intake and tune either from american muscle or brenspeed. (my preference) the bolt on mods are endless on these cars! Besides engine mods the most important thing is lowering it a tad, i think these mustangs look like monster trucks if there not, the wheel gap its hideous imo. I live in north phx area so I know what you mean about emissions. I have cat back x pipe with no problems at all, Im not sure which aftermarket muffler is the loudest but i like the ford racing stingers as far as sound goes! I have every bolt on possible besides cams which are coming soon (and will help with the sound your looking for) and i think the S197's sound great, hearing one drive away sounds mean. the CAI will also make a good sound when getting into it, hope this helps
Old 11-05-2013, 05:40 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Drew sky actually didn't read OP's originally post. If you have the Sportline springs it's a 1.6" drop front, 2" rear. What cold air intake do you have. Longtube headers do give you gains throughout nearly the entire rpm range. Additionally, with or without cams, gears are a great addition. I have 4.10's and while there are plenty of more powerful cars out there, I surprise a lot of them when I destroy them off the line. They're great for everyday driving and highway where I still manage 25-26mpg.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The OP states he has a CAI but he doesn't mention a tune, nor did anyone else. A CAI with the stock tune is near worthless; maybe 3-5 RWHP on the 4.6L. Throw a custom tune on and you're looking at 15-25 RWHP gain, real-world plus improved drivability including throttle response.

But then, the OP also stated that he doesn't want to void his warranty (on an '08?) so perhaps he should just look at it and not drive it.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Ezuh

Honestly i'm Trying not to void the warranty, but can I get away with Tuning it, then if it needs to go to ford, just set it back to stock?

Quick Reply: First mods