Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Corsa Xtreme axlebacks review

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 07:42 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Default Corsa Xtreme axlebacks review

Hey everyone. So recently I bought a pair of the Corsa Xtremes. I got them used for 380, have less than 2000 miles on them lol couldn't resist. I originally had the Flowmaster Pro Series (hushpowers) and I started to crave more sound. With my BBK LT's and catted X, they sound good... very clean, little-to-none rasp, fitment was 9/10. A good amount of drone inside though when at 2.3k-3.5k RPM.

The Corsa's sound great, they actually have a tiny bit of drone and get raspy after like 4K RPM, but the fit like crap. I couldn't reinstall the hanger closest to the axle because it didnt line up... it was like 1-2" off and for a $700 muffler that isn't cool. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 11-17-2013, 10:46 PM
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

Corsa made their name in the corvette world but with the several I have seen in S197's they all fit like crap. Personally if I wanted to sink big bucks into my axleback I would go borla or bassani.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:47 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

What? Drone? I have ZERO drone with my setup and fitment was perfect. I've had zero issues with them in both respects and would recommend them to ANYONE looking. With my setup, they re raspy but it's likely attributed to my mid pipe selection (which you also have). Are you sure you reinstalled the hanger correctly? I know it's simple to position that in the wrong configuration and might be why you had an issue. I've seen and installed several Corsa setups and haven't run into one problem with them ever.

That's a video from a fall cruise with every style driving you could see. (GoPro was loose so forgive the random noises). No Drone whatsoever. Also, why are you driving at 4k RPM for an extended period of time?

Same setup, only H-pipe here:

Last edited by bakerjd; 11-18-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:15 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

My Corsas fit great and sound even better. I love 'em.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:05 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Baker, I do have a very small bit of drone. I mean if your not paying attention you'll miss it... I probably would never have noticed if I wasn't comparing it to my flowmasters after I swapped them. As for the the fitment though the hangers are in the right spot. I didn't mix them up or anything but I have a feeling it's because of how messed up my exhaust is. Ever since I put the bbk LT's in the overaxles shifted a lot. I need to get underneath finally and adjust those and the X.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:12 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
Baker, I do have a very small bit of drone. I mean if your not paying attention you'll miss it... I probably would never have noticed if I wasn't comparing it to my flowmasters after I swapped them. As for the the fitment though the hangers are in the right spot. I didn't mix them up or anything but I have a feeling it's because of how messed up my exhaust is. Ever since I put the bbk LT's in the overaxles shifted a lot. I need to get underneath finally and adjust those and the X.
First it was "a good amount of drone" now it's a "very small bit"?...When doing a review for enthusiasts that may look at this when considering to buy, giving them false information such as "a good amount of drone" with this set is the only reason I felt compelled to post and set the record straight. If you attribute it to your particular setup, and not the axle-backs, why include it as a part of the review? Just my thoughts.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:08 PM
dbspcl
1st Gear Member

I have the Corsa Extreme axlebacks and they sound fantastic on my setup (stock on rest of exhaust). No drone at all.

I think your fitment problem has to do with putting one of the hangars back in wrong. If I remember, it was the one on the drivers side. Same thing happened to me initially, and it is almost like you have to rotate the whole thing (the hanger) around to get the right alignment. They now fit and hang perfectly.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:41 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
First it was "a good amount of drone" now it's a "very small bit"?...When doing a review for enthusiasts that may look at this when considering to buy, giving them false information such as "a good amount of drone" with this set is the only reason I felt compelled to post and set the record straight. If you attribute it to your particular setup, and not the axle-backs, why include it as a part of the review? Just my thoughts.
I think you mixed up what I meant. My flowmasters had a "good amount of drone".
Old 11-21-2013, 08:10 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dbspcl
I have the Corsa Extreme axlebacks and they sound fantastic on my setup (stock on rest of exhaust). No drone at all.

I think your fitment problem has to do with putting one of the hangars back in wrong. If I remember, it was the one on the drivers side. Same thing happened to me initially, and it is almost like you have to rotate the whole thing (the hanger) around to get the right alignment. They now fit and hang perfectly.
I tried even reversing the hangers but that didn't work. After doing some thinking I'm starting to get a feeling that I need to adjust my xpipe and overaxles. My passenger side is making contact with some bar that runs across the rear of the car, it's right under the pipe. I have a strong feeling when I hit the gas it's causing a vibration on that bar (I don't know the name). I will fix these issues when I get time soon.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:59 PM
NJBLK07GT
2nd Gear Member

Have had my Corsa's since 2007. No drone and zero fitment issues.

Quick Reply: Corsa Xtreme axlebacks review