Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Animal collision

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 01:24 PM
FunkyBearz

Default Animal collision

Hello,

First of all, I'm sorry for my english this is not my native language.

I'm creating this topic because I've some troubles. Yesterday night a racoon decided to jump under my wheels on the highway. As I don't really like to give some big steering inputs at 70mph, I ran over him.

So far so good, except that the Mississippi racoons are big enough to brake my bumper and the first radiator.

There was a liquid leak (fluo yellow/green) so I let a receptacle over night and this morning I found out that it barely leaked :

According to the smell, the color and the position, I'm assuming that this is the A/C radiator ?
I tried to let the engine run for a few minutes, turn the A/C ON and the air was cold but nothing was leaking...

Anyhow my first question is to know if I can drive like that until I can get it fixed/fix it myself (I'm assuming that I can, especially during winter...)

The second one would be : Is it possible that there is no leak/hole, but the liquid went out thanks to a surpression valve, and that the surpression was caused by the shock (I'm coming from aviation so I might be dreaming... )

Thank you for your help !
Old 12-01-2013, 02:39 PM
numnutz

The first radiator you are seeing is the a/c condenser, and has Freon(gas) in it and is cooled by it passing thru the air, which then passes thru the radiator which contains yellow/green liquid coolant. The reason you didn't get much was, it had cooled down, but will surely leak when it gets hot and expands under pressure. SHOPTIME!!!!!! Sorry.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:10 PM
FunkyBearz

Hum, it makes sense... But this liquid is only for the A/C right? The liquid needed to cool the engine is a different one, right? Just to be sure that I can use my car while waiting that the shop get the parts (I cannot do anything without my car here...)
Old 12-01-2013, 03:41 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Looks like the oil in your A/C system, has the same green color as the coolant...
Your condenser (A/C radiator) is punctured and you lost the charge (freon + compressor oil) so you need a new condenser.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:14 PM
FunkyBearz

Yep. Apparently this liquid is just here to point out a leak in the condenser, only the gas is really useful. I will fix everything this week. Thanks guys.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:16 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Sorry about your troubles. Easy fix though albeit costly with the recharging, etc... Your insurance should cover it.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Depends on the deductible.

A/C condenser + Drier/Receiver + recharge may be less than his deductible.

Op you could probably replace the parts yourself and have a shop recharge the system. Be a lot less expensive that way.

I did that with my daughter's escape that had a bad compressor. Had the dealership discharge the Freon, took it home to work on it. Pulled vacuum on the system to check for leaks. Took it back to the dealer and had them recharge the system and double check my work. They charged me for a diagnostic and Freon recharge (Labor from them was like $150). Parts I bought were $200.

They let me split my service between two visits because I told them what I was doing.

Last edited by Derf00; 12-02-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:00 PM
FunkyBearz

Thank you guys for your help. What I did is I ordered a A/C condenser online, I will mount it myself in the shop and the mechanic will do all the freon/setting stuff. He is OK with it and that seems to be the best solution for me.
I do not want to declare it to the insurance company because I got a 250$ deductible and the condenser is only 60 to 75 and I don't want to pay my policy more just for that.