Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

TT teaser pics from my builder

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 06:08 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Default TT teaser pics from my builder

Merry Christmas to me! My builder sent a couple update pics for the custom twin turbo build on my '07 GT/CS.

The "before" pic for reference.

Quick backround. In 2008 I tried my luck with the STS twin turbo setup. The oil return proved to be unreliable and STS a bunch of crooks. Off came the kit and it has sat in the basement since August of 2008. In 2009 I found a builder to install and tune intake, heads, cams, headers and cat back. He speciallizes in doing custom turbo builds, and we have talked about scavenging all the STS components for a traditional (and realiable) underhood setup since. The funds have finally become available and the surgery is under way.

All hot pipes, valve covers, and compressors will be ceramic coated with wrinkle black satin, cold pipes will be wrinkle silver.

Notable additions to the setup: FRPP TB and manifold, GT500 fuel pump, Steeda Sport springs, Koni yellows, AM 2013 GT500 wheels, MT tires, DSS CF driveshaft. I'm not sure exactly what intercooler he went with, but I know it's a bar and plate 4" beast.

It's a big chunk of $$ to swallow all at once, but it's still cheaper than a new car....and it doesn't come with any monthly payment obligations. It should feel like a different car once it's done.

For now I'll be running the stock bottom end, so HP won't be anything special compared to other F/I setups. The turbos are small but adequate for the stock bottom end with A/R 0.60 on the compressor and 0.36 on the turbine. They spooled pretty quick when placed at the muffler so in this configuration should spool fast enough to make supercharges jealous. The next round will include a built motor and bigger turbos.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:30 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

mmm, one day ill do a turbo similar to yours, twin's off forward facing headers, minimal piping and quick to spool
Old 12-24-2013, 08:04 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

Looks good, best of luck with the build!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:08 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Every time I think he's getting close, a part that he needs is back ordered or out of stock. Then the powder coater decided to go on vacation in the middle of coating the parts, but the parts are finally back from the coater and ready to be installed and tuned.

The hot side is sort of semi-gloss black, the valve covers are wrinkle coat black, and the cold side and compressor housings are silver.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:11 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Awesome, keep us updated!
Old 03-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Delaware_Greg

Looks really cool and excited to see your finished product

Our exhaust are 2.5 right? Would a setup like your benefit from a 3 inch or 2.5 exhaust just fine.

Just wondering
Old 03-17-2014, 05:56 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Delaware_Greg
Looks really cool and excited to see your finished product

Our exhaust are 2.5 right? Would a setup like your benefit from a 3 inch or 2.5 exhaust just fine.

Just wondering
I believe the factory exhaust is 2.5". I'm sure going to 3" certainly wouldn't hurt, but I'll be running the factory cats so I don't think going to a 3" mid-pipe would do much for me. Sanz cats and I might think differently.

At this point, I just want it to be done. It's been one delay after another, and it's pushing six months now. Granted, I normally store the car from 12/1-2/28, but I dropped it off on 10/4 and expected to be driving it 3/1. I know the finished project will be one of a kind custom, stupid fast, and show worthy, so I guess it's worth the wait. I trust my builder, but in the future I won't let him touch my car again unless he has EVERY part in hand before he starts.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Delaware_Greg

Originally Posted by breathegood
I believe the factory exhaust is 2.5". I'm sure going to 3" certainly wouldn't hurt, but I'll be running the factory cats so I don't think going to a 3" mid-pipe would do much for me. Sanz cats and I might think differently.

At this point, I just want it to be done. It's been one delay after another, and it's pushing six months now. Granted, I normally store the car from 12/1-2/28, but I dropped it off on 10/4 and expected to be driving it 3/1. I know the finished project will be one of a kind custom, stupid fast, and show worthy, so I guess it's worth the wait. I trust my builder, but in the future I won't let him touch my car again unless he has EVERY part in hand before he starts.
Don't you wish you could just do it in a 3-5 minute 80's montage lol
Old 03-17-2014, 06:14 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Nice! I love my turbo!
Old 03-18-2014, 07:40 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sactown
Nice! I love my turbo!
I noticed you have the inner bumper removed. My builder tried to remove mine to give a little better airflow to the intercooler, but said it didn't want to come off. He unbolted as much as he could and gave it a few good whacks with a hammer, but said it wouldn't budge. Is it tack welded somewhere, or does it need to be cut? He ended up just leaving it which is fine for now because I hate to cut if its not necessary, but when it comes time to build the motor and upgrade turbos, I'll want the IC to get as much airflow as possible.

Quick Reply: TT teaser pics from my builder