Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

I think I received a MAJOR manufacture DEFECT with new tailpipes (Mac Boomtubes)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 11:33 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Default I think I received a MAJOR manufacture DEFECT with new tailpipes (Mac Boomtubes)

Okay, so I ordered the Mac Boomtubes from americanmuscle.com. Other than looking at pictures of the exhaust, I've seen them in person. I received them today and after unboxing them, I wanted to fully inspect them before install. Appearance is fine and everything, but my MAIN concern is the resonated baffles (if you can even call them that) that are SUPPOSED to be within the tubing.

I would add pictures as an attachment but apparently I can't. Anyway, I think I received an unfinished manufactured set of Boomtubes. I think they are missing the baffled-resonators, unless it's an update of the exhaust but I don't think so? But picture a rolled-up piece of sheet metal that has hundreds of "bb"-sized holes punched through them in the boomtubes themselves instead of those "baffled resonated tips". (For any gun-nuts out there, imagine a heat shield that fits around a shotgun barrel, except this is what is in the tubing of the exhaust).

Any thoughts/advice or did I just confuse the hell out of anyone reading this?
Old 12-24-2013, 12:13 AM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Upload your pictures to a service like photobucket and post the links here
Old 12-24-2013, 09:45 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 'stangdude
Okay, so I ordered the Mac Boomtubes from americanmuscle.com. Other than looking at pictures of the exhaust, I've seen them in person. I received them today and after unboxing them, I wanted to fully inspect them before install. Appearance is fine and everything, but my MAIN concern is the resonated baffles (if you can even call them that) that are SUPPOSED to be within the tubing.

I would add pictures as an attachment but apparently I can't. Anyway, I think I received an unfinished manufactured set of Boomtubes. I think they are missing the baffled-resonators, unless it's an update of the exhaust but I don't think so? But picture a rolled-up piece of sheet metal that has hundreds of "bb"-sized holes punched through them in the boomtubes themselves instead of those "baffled resonated tips". (For any gun-nuts out there, imagine a heat shield that fits around a shotgun barrel, except this is what is in the tubing of the exhaust).

Any thoughts/advice or did I just confuse the hell out of anyone reading this?
This sounds odd. We'll definitely have to see pictures to make sure everything is good and or if it is defective. You'll most likely have to create a photobucket or something like this to load the pictures to the forum. You can just email them to me if you'd like! I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you, but hang in there we'll get you taken care of ASAP!

My email is dan[dot]bailer[at]americanmuscle[dot]com. I will make sure you're taken care of, quickly!

-Dan

Last edited by AMDanBailer; 12-24-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:58 PM
Greed1

Should look like this.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:07 AM
Greed1

Sorry. Accidentally deleted pic.

Last edited by Greed1; 12-31-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:08 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Did they make a change from louvers to just using a perforated core?
Old 12-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Greed1

Originally Posted by ghunt
Did they make a change from louvers to just using a perforated core?
They better not have. I just ordered a set.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:01 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Greed1
Why's it matter? Louvered cores, even with the louvers facing downstream, have been proven to have really crappy flow. Perforated flows much better.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:48 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

When you receive the set can you keep me updated or let me know if you got the same kind (the perforated core version which is I guess what I have) ?
Old 12-27-2013, 12:50 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Sorry. Accidentally deleted pic.
My pair definitely does not look like that but how someone described them as having a "perforated core". I guess that means they're not defective? I'll just call A.M. And ask if they have the same set as you with the louvers.

Quick Reply: I think I received a MAJOR manufacture DEFECT with new tailpipes (Mac Boomtubes)