Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

I think I received a MAJOR manufacture DEFECT with new tailpipes (Mac Boomtubes)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:52 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

...which btw do you think the perforated core version would sound the same as the louvered version??
Old 12-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Greed1

Originally Posted by ghunt
Why's it matter? Louvered cores, even with the louvers facing downstream, have been proven to have really crappy flow. Perforated flows much better.
Who cares how they flow? People aren't buying axle backs for flow. They're strictly for sound. If they have changed the core they will sound different.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Greed1

Search Mac boom tube on google images and tell me what you see. Look at the images of the inside. That's the pic I posted.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Not to mention, IF MAC changed the perforation/louvers the only difference will be old stock vs new stock. They will perform the same for the most part...
Old 12-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Greed1

Maybe Dan will chime in with an explanation on this.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:41 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Greed1
Who cares how they flow? People aren't buying axle backs for flow. They're strictly for sound. If they have changed the core they will sound different.
I really doubt that. With as little packing as those have in them, a perforated core won't muffle any more than the louvered core and I doubt there would be any difference in sound.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:50 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I had a set and remember what they looked like. Post a picture.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:54 AM
Greed1

Every pic I've seen online looks like the pic below.
Originally Posted by JCON
I had a set and remember what they looked like. Post a picture.

Last edited by Greed1; 01-01-2014 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Greed1

Any new information about this?
Old 01-02-2014, 03:52 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Greed1
Any new information about this?
Well I called AM regarding the problem and they asked me to send them pics via e-mail. I did and after, they told me they would "get right back with [me]".

About a few minutes later they told me that they had "good news and bad news" for me. The good news was that my set was NOT a manufacture defect, just an update of the exhaust (sorry guys--I was a little upset after hearing that part at first); However (I guess this part was supposed to be the "bad news" but I actually thought otherwise), they called MAC Products and Mac told AM that they STILL HAVE the previous sets (the exhaust with the baffled/louvered resonators--the kind I want) and that they can ship me a new (previous model) set.

Also, for those of you who said sound wouldn't be afffected, according to MAC Products, said that the model I have (perforated core) is a SIMILAR sound but different in that it is going to have a more "raspier tone".
Looks like I have solved my own problem. OK--with the help of AM and of course MAC Product's information and customer service.

Quick Reply: I think I received a MAJOR manufacture DEFECT with new tailpipes (Mac Boomtubes)