Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

I think I received a MAJOR manufacture DEFECT with new tailpipes (Mac Boomtubes)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:31 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Greed1
Gonna be a while before I can get any kind of clip uploaded. We're getting hammered by some pretty severe winter weather for the next few days.
Good ole Indiana. My friend just moved back to Indiana. I laughed at him.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:02 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

OK. Just an update. I installed the perforated set "raspier version" and I honestly don't hear the rasp at all. Fairly deep and controlled tone. Very minimal if any popping or crackling. They are actually not as loud as I thought they would be. I am stock all the way to the axle backs plus frpp hot rod cams. Keep in mind I haven't tested the exhaust under load yet due to weather.
Cool. I'm going to install mine too and I'll let you know how they sound. However, I'm basically running straightpipes b/c the set up I have now is lt headers, shorty o/r x and slp's and it's pretty raspy but we'll see how these newer boomtubes sound.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Greed1

Ok, really sucky video with my phone but you get the idea. Will try to get a better video up with some revs tomorrow. Wind chill here is -40

Last edited by Greed1; 01-06-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:11 AM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

I called Mac to see what was going on with these and they said that their supplier sometimes sends the perforated core and sometimes the louvered core. They said I could install them and if I wasn't happy with them I could send them back (to Mac) and they would send me a louvered set.
Wth?! I called them yesterday around 4:30 cst (I finally was able to get a hold of MAC) and asked them kind of the same thing (if I don't like it could I send it back for the other version). Well Manny (I believe that was his name) told me that they do not "carry the louvered set anymore" at MAC and they therefore couldn't send me the other version. They said their supplier does have them in stock(I think) but they don't have their contact info. Is there anyway you could help me with this one? (Greed1).
Old 01-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Greed1

They don't have their suppliers contact info? That doesn't sound right. I think I spoke with J.R.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:08 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

They don't have their suppliers contact info? That doesn't sound right. I think I spoke with J.R.
Oh Jr? Maybe I'll speak with him instead. And you called the supplier? ..or they just said they would do that for you if you wanted to exchange exhaust versions?

One more thing: Are you keeping the new Boomtubes because you like them (idk if you do or not) or are you sending them back?

Sorry for all the questions. (fyi I'm not from Canada, if you uh, catch my drift haha).
Old 01-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Greed1

I spoke with J.R. at Mac. Not the supplier. I think I'm gonna keep em.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:26 AM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

I spoke with J.R. at Mac. Not the supplier. I think I'm gonna keep em.
OK so I must have spoken with someone else the other day, because I got a hold of Mac again and they basically told me I could install the exhaust and see how I like it. (Yay )

Post install:

Compared to the SLP loudmouths (which I previously had with lt headers and o/r x-pipe) it is still raspy (well of course) but not as much.

However, I did notice a slight sound difference between the one I have now and the louvered version (the one my friend has).

The louvered is definitely noticeably deeper and less raspy which is what I'm looking for.

Anywho...not to be picky, but I am sending mine back to get them exchanged. .
Old 01-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Greed1

Originally Posted by 'stangdude
OK so I must have spoken with someone else the other day, because I got a hold of Mac again and they basically told me I could install the exhaust and see how I like it. (Yay )

Post install:

Compared to the SLP loudmouths (which I previously had with lt headers and o/r x-pipe) it is still raspy (well of course) but not as much.

However, I did notice a slight sound difference between the one I have now and the louvered version (the one my friend has).

The louvered is definitely noticeably deeper and less raspy which is what I'm looking for.

Anywho...not to be picky, but I am sending mine back to get them exchanged. .
What is your exhaust setup? Is it the exact same setup as your buddy's?..........Never mind. Your setup is in a previous post.

Last edited by Greed1; 01-08-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:14 AM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

What is your exhaust setup? Is it the exact same setup as your buddy's?..........Never mind. Your setup is in a previous post.
The only difference is that I have lt headers (came with the car when I originally bought it). Then of course I'm not sure what brand o/r x-pipe he has either. Which btw, since this is my first S197 GT and didn't have a stock exhaust setup to compare, do lt's give a deeper tone, raspier or what?

Quick Reply: I think I received a MAJOR manufacture DEFECT with new tailpipes (Mac Boomtubes)