Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Got some cash to spend, but on what, SC?

Old 12-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Silver_Stang_05
1st Gear Member

Default Got some cash to spend, but on what, SC?

Got a 05 Roush Stage 1 with 30k miles. Really a weekend car. Only engine mods are deleted cats, X-pipe and K&N intake. I am contemplating a supercharger but have read that there are issues with throwing over 400 ft lbs of torque and/or 550 HP at the 4.6l 3V engine. Or is this due to not using additional mods needed such as fuel system? I may take a couple runs down the 1/4 mile track once in a blue moon but otherwise just want to feel the power when the urge hits me tooling around on the weekends. Ultimately my goal is 550-600 HP range (for now anyway, cause let's be honest, it's never enough).

So question:

can 550-600 be achieved with these engines?
Is it really worth the money for say a wipple 2.3 for 150HP gain?
And is the wipple correct for my application of an around tooler or perhaps a Roush SC?
Start to finish from a local spend shop what's the cost $5-$7K?
Or am I better off trading in on a factory SC Roush?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:30 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Yes, get the 2.3 whipple and call it a day, I've been there, done that. It's all you need.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:33 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Basically the 4.6 can handle up to 500rwhp and 550 on the tranny. I'm at 470 with no issues and have been for a few years. I go to the track about four times a year. Others here with and have had it longer so I guess it's kind of luck and a great tune
Old 12-19-2013, 08:26 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

You won't regret it.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:30 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I'd recommend a TVS2300 for your car, and several companies use that blower in their kit. This is our TVS for your 3V. It's a complete kit, including the tune, and it is perfectly reliable for daily driving. Later if you install a forged bottom end, you can pulley the blower and make 700hp if you want. It's a versatile setup!

http://www.uprproducts.com/edelbrock...ustang-05.html
Old 12-20-2013, 12:23 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Silver_Stang_05
can 550-600 be achieved with these engines?
Is it really worth the money for say a wipple 2.3 for 150HP gain?
And is the wipple correct for my application of an around tooler or perhaps a Roush SC?
Start to finish from a local spend shop what's the cost $5-$7K?
Or am I better off trading in on a factory SC Roush?
1. Yes.
2. Yes, but why settle for 150hp out of the Whipple? A simple pulley swap and dynotune can get you much more than that.
3. The Whipple is correct for any application where you want violent acceleration and gratuitous torque from low rpms that never lets up until you lift.
4. Installation costs vary wildly. I found the cheapest shop was my own garage.
5. I wouldn't. Neither option is a fiscally responsible move, but you tend to do better sticking with what you've got than you would taking a hit on a trade.

My advice, buy the whipple or the UPR kit. Buy a ten rib belt kit. Crank up the boost. Get a good quality tune from a REPUTABLE dyno tuner. Get some good suspension from Sharad at UPR and take it to the track to see what it can do. I've got literally hundreds of passes on my car running 12-13 psi through the whipple and it's still kicking. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:12 AM
Silver_Stang_05
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. Since UPR is literally in my backyard (already been to the facility and bought a couple things) and I like the look of the Edelbrock may be going that route. I assume UPR does not do installs? Besides BBR do you recommend someone local for the install?
Old 12-20-2013, 11:10 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Thanks for all the advice guys. Since UPR is literally in my backyard (already been to the facility and bought a couple things) and I like the look of the Edelbrock may be going that route. I assume UPR does not do installs? Besides BBR do you recommend someone local for the install?
Thunder Autosport-

But I might be able to convince Mark (my boss) to let me do the install in house. We actually have a full shop, lift, and chassis dyno in house... we just stay so busy with retail that we never work on customers' cars. We do work on our own cars in there though, off the clock.

We'd be happy to hook you up with a blower kit! Drop me a PM and I can discuss it with you more in depth.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:43 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

If UPR were in my backyard they'd have all my money, lol. Great company.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:32 AM
Silver_Stang_05
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
If UPR were in my backyard they'd have all my money, lol. Great company.
LOL, well, they are about to get a BUNCH of mine....I'm literally 10 mins from the place!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got some cash to spend, but on what, SC?