Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

BAMA tunes keeps pinging for over a year

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:34 AM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

Anyone on my issue??
Old 01-09-2014, 03:18 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SYNY5TER
thanks for ur response shane pm sent
Thanks buddy! PM replied too. You will be hearing from the Bama Team within the next 24 business hours. I'm sure with good news too!

Shane

Originally Posted by shinerttu
**Sorry for the long thread**

Hey guys, I received my Bama tuner today and unfortunately I am having a similar issue. I raced home from work in order to make it home before my leasing office closed, anxious to get my baby tuned. Packaging was perfect and tuning my car was easy peasy.

I have been driving for a few weeks using 93 octane gas, usually filling up at the Shell by my house. I did use HEB gas (a grocery chain in Texas) a week ago, but have since filled up with Shell 93 octane gas (yesterday)

Unfortunately it's been raining all day which made for a cautious test drive, as I wasn't really able to punch it. Again, I haven't been able to punch it but I did notice immediately an aggressive throttle response which felt great!

I was able to "slowly" get to redline in 1st and 2nd gear (3rd gear the velocity is too high for wet roads at redline) 1st gear felt fine as I fought for traction, but here is the problem...In 2nd gear at like 4.5-5k rpm I would get what I guess is knocking? (The sound it would make is like a soft almost rattle noise. Kinda like the sound of some gravel hitting the front of your car.) Is this knocking???? I'm kinda freaking out...

So it consistently makes that rattling/tapping/knocking sound whatever you want to call it, in the 2nd gear at those rpms. Soooo I pull over, and assuming it is somehow my gas, I load up 91 octane performance tune. Same thing happens, although I feel like it "knocks" fewer times. I'm done for the night as the roads are less than ideal and will be calling American Muscle tomorrow. I do have some immediate questions

1) Is my description the knocking sound from premature combustion ie "knocking" (I guess I have never heard it before)

2) Do you lose throttle response from race tune to performance tune? I would specifically like someone from AM/Bama to explain what each tune is "ideal" for. I remember seeing a post where someone was saying the street tune is better down low and the race tune is better up high. I would like to know the difference between my tunes (89,91,93)

3) in the 19 questions you guys ask, you ask about CAI. I am ordering mine next week, but answered no CAI in the mean time. In my shipping box, they had the paper I filled out and for intake it says "Cold Air Intake" Is this a mistake or is the what they call the OEM intake?

4) Help! what do I do :/ nervous I hurt my baby

shinerttu,

It sounds like there's a few adjustments that can be made to your current tunes. It's most likely not bad gas (unless it's terrible gas), since you tried uploading the 91 tune as well.

Don't worry! We'll definitely get you taken care of. Could you PM me your First/Last name and shipping address? I want to get this over to the Bama Team, so they can take a look at your tunes and have your contact information.

To answer your question about the different tunes-

Street tune- this tune has lots of low end power and has economy in mind. If you Mustang has catalytic converters still, you should run this tune to pass emissions.

Performance tune- The performance tune has stronger mid-range to high end power. It has less throttle response than the street tune, but really bites up top. You can also pass emissions with this tune and receive the best fuel economy, similar to the Street tune.

Race tune- The Race tune is our all out power tune. It strictly has power in mind and high throttle response. You won't pass emissions with this tune, as the rear O2 sensors are turned off, nor is it the best for fuel economy. However, you there is no harm in running this tune all the time. Tons of our customer's do so because they prefer the behavior of the beast!

Lastly, yes the tune sheet will say "cold air intake" if you select the stock intake within the Bama info form. Once you acquire an aftermarket CAI, the name of the CAI will be listed in the tune form.

Hope this helps clear up some of your questions! Let me know if you have others. Also, I hope to hear from you via PM with your information to provide the Bama Team!

Shane
Old 01-09-2014, 03:48 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

thanks Shane I PM'ed you the info!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:01 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by shinerttu
thanks Shane I PM'ed you the info!
Thanks for the quick reply shinerttu! I do need some more info when you have a chance. Check out my response to your original PM. We'll get moving for you!

Shane
Old 01-09-2014, 06:10 PM
slipperman
1st Gear Member

My Bama tune on my '04 GT pinged as well. I had a tune made stock correcting for my gear change only. Long term, I didn't want to live with pre-ignition.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:42 PM
jesse1125
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
Street tune- this tune has lots of low end power and has economy in mind. If you Mustang has catalytic converters still, you should run this tune to pass emissions.

Performance tune- The performance tune has stronger mid-range to high end power. It has less throttle response than the street tune, but really bites up top. You can also pass emissions with this tune and receive the best fuel economy, similar to the Street tune.

Race tune- The Race tune is our all out power tune. It strictly has power in mind and high throttle response. You won't pass emissions with this tune, as the rear O2 sensors are turned off, nor is it the best for fuel economy. However, you there is no harm in running this tune all the time. Tons of our customer's do so because they prefer the behavior of the beast!

Lastly, yes the tune sheet will say "cold air intake" if you select the stock intake within the Bama info form. Once you acquire an aftermarket CAI, the name of the CAI will be listed in the tune form.

Hope this helps clear up some of your questions! Let me know if you have others. Also, I hope to hear from you via PM with your information to provide the Bama Team!

Shane
I opted to replace the race tune with the hybrid tune when I bought my tuner.

Can you explain the difference between the race tune and the hybrid tune? I was thinking of adding the race tune to my tuner since I can get it for free.

BTW I love the hybrid tune. I'm just wanting to try a race tune to see how it is. If the hybrid tune is better then the race tune I'll just keep what I have.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:38 AM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
Thanks for the quick reply shinerttu! I do need some more info when you have a chance. Check out my response to your original PM. We'll get moving for you!

Shane
PM'ed you back let me know if you need further info
Old 01-10-2014, 12:31 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

Well, I called Bama and got the ole "Change your fuel filter and clean your TB" response, they didn't even ask me for my name, customer info or anything to identify myself should I have future problems. I had already planned on doing these things on Saturday, and was hoping for a little more help maybe even some empathy for spending $400 to make my car sound like a can of gravel. I understand this is necessary but I've seen this response to so many posts of tuner issues, and it doesn't seem to help many of the people on the threads from all the google results I have seen. It's exactly like calling your cable company when your internet/cable is messing up and being told to reboot the box..its like yea...I know.

Hopefully the new fuel filter and a cleaned TB will make all the difference but forgive me for being skeptical.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:10 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

I know it isn't necessarily what you want to hear after dumping that much cash, but it is a step in the right direction. Eliminating as many variables as possible will help in the long run of sorting out your tune.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:33 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

You may also want to try a can of Seafoam in the gas tank. It cleans the injectors, and removes any carbon in the combustion chamber. Worked for me.

Quick Reply: BAMA tunes keeps pinging for over a year