Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

BAMA tunes keeps pinging for over a year

Old 01-07-2014, 03:31 PM
SYNY5TER
2nd Gear Member

Default BAMA tunes keeps pinging for over a year

So ive been battling this tune for year im using itsx 91 octane Race tune. ive got the free tunes for life but im not complaining. but i want im complaining about is that ive never had a single working tune for over a year!!! ive gave up so many times i cant take this anymore. and im sure its the tunes from bama not from my car or the gas stations.

that whole gas station thing is a load of crap. ive heard enough bullspit about that cuz i literally went to 500+ gas station and still pinging.

so in the beginning everytime i wot i get ping on 4.5-5.5k. sent my problems to bama and they finally fix it! for the 30 try. but wait im pinging again at 2-2.5k. so i send it bak to bama again. beautiful the 2-2.5k is perfect. its probably the best ive seen. but now 4.5-5.5k is back to pinging... WAT THE FUDG!!! i personally call bama and tell me wats wrong and they told me to go bak to 87 street tune so imma try that and do a data log.

Last edited by SYNY5TER; 01-07-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

try different and higher quality gas station - shell if possible, thats where i go

tell bama your exact elevation

try 87 street tune with your california "91" octane and it really shouldnt ping

make sure you also let them know of every relevant mod.

Last edited by Andy13186; 01-07-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:43 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Just go get a dyno tune.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:24 PM
SYNY5TER
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
try different and higher quality gas station - shell if possible, thats where i go

tell bama your exact elevation

try 87 street tune with your california "91" octane and it really shouldnt ping

make sure you also let them know of every relevant mod.
yea thats wat bama said. sooo a lil update i changed my tune to 87 street and its perfect. not a single ping on the whole rpm. normal driving and wot no ping.

at least we r goin some where now. wish i did the is from the beginning. ill keep u guys posted with the new tune.

@danzcool: im looking to do a dyno tune after i get my cams. im using email tunes for now because i wanted to go to a cheaper route until i add more parts in my car
Old 01-07-2014, 06:13 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SYNY5TER
yea thats wat bama said. sooo a lil update i changed my tune to 87 street and its perfect. not a single ping on the whole rpm. normal driving and wot no ping.

at least we r goin some where now. wish i did the is from the beginning. ill keep u guys posted with the new tune.

@danzcool: im looking to do a dyno tune after i get my cams. im using email tunes for now because i wanted to go to a cheaper route until i add more parts in my car
SYNY5TER,

Glad to hear you're moving forward and the Bama Team is taking care of you! I do agree it's strange they were able to clean up the pinging up top, then down low and have the "up top" pinging come back.

Either way, it sounds like you're off with the right foot now. Please feel free to give me a shout via PM if you have any other questions or concerns!

Shane
Old 01-08-2014, 03:19 PM
SYNY5TER
2nd Gear Member

new update. still going no where. again we go bak to the bad gas. called bama today and they told me same thing. its bad gas in CA. if it was bad gas then y r other mustang drivers who r tuned by bama getting no ping.... WTF.... so many lies i feel lik they do this to me so they can shut me up and do more work for them... now i hav to send them a data log
Old 01-08-2014, 05:47 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

new update. still going no where. again we go bak to the bad gas. called bama today and they told me same thing. its bad gas in CA. if it was bad gas then y r other mustang drivers who r tuned by bama getting no ping.... WTF.... so many lies i feel lik they do this to me so they can shut me up and do more work for them... now i hav to send them a data log
SYNY5TER,

Sorry you're still having troubles! I don't think anyone on the Bama Team is lying to you by any means. It sounds like they still have more tests to run with an additional datalog to figure out where the issue lies.

I'm confident if you continue to work closely with the Bama Team they'll get this resolved as quickly as possible! Hang in there!

Also, could you send me a PM with your First/Last name and shipping address? I would like to check in with the Bama Team to log your progress as well!

Shane
Old 01-08-2014, 06:00 PM
SYNY5TER
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
SYNY5TER,

Sorry you're still having troubles! I don't think anyone on the Bama Team is lying to you by any means. It sounds like they still have more tests to run with an additional datalog to figure out where the issue lies.

I'm confident if you continue to work closely with the Bama Team they'll get this resolved as quickly as possible! Hang in there!

Also, could you send me a PM with your First/Last name and shipping address? I would like to check in with the Bama Team to log your progress as well!

Shane

thanks for ur response shane pm sent
Old 01-08-2014, 07:18 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

**Sorry for the long thread**

Hey guys, I received my Bama tuner today and unfortunately I am having a similar issue. I raced home from work in order to make it home before my leasing office closed, anxious to get my baby tuned. Packaging was perfect and tuning my car was easy peasy.

I have been driving for a few weeks using 93 octane gas, usually filling up at the Shell by my house. I did use HEB gas (a grocery chain in Texas) a week ago, but have since filled up with Shell 93 octane gas (yesterday)

Unfortunately it's been raining all day which made for a cautious test drive, as I wasn't really able to punch it. Again, I haven't been able to punch it but I did notice immediately an aggressive throttle response which felt great!

I was able to "slowly" get to redline in 1st and 2nd gear (3rd gear the velocity is too high for wet roads at redline) 1st gear felt fine as I fought for traction, but here is the problem...In 2nd gear at like 4.5-5k rpm I would get what I guess is knocking? (The sound it would make is like a soft almost rattle noise. Kinda like the sound of some gravel hitting the front of your car.) Is this knocking???? I'm kinda freaking out...

So it consistently makes that rattling/tapping/knocking sound whatever you want to call it, in the 2nd gear at those rpms. Soooo I pull over, and assuming it is somehow my gas, I load up 91 octane performance tune. Same thing happens, although I feel like it "knocks" fewer times. I'm done for the night as the roads are less than ideal and will be calling American Muscle tomorrow. I do have some immediate questions

1) Is my description the knocking sound from premature combustion ie "knocking" (I guess I have never heard it before)

2) Do you lose throttle response from race tune to performance tune? I would specifically like someone from AM/Bama to explain what each tune is "ideal" for. I remember seeing a post where someone was saying the street tune is better down low and the race tune is better up high. I would like to know the difference between my tunes (89,91,93)

3) in the 19 questions you guys ask, you ask about CAI. I am ordering mine next week, but answered no CAI in the mean time. In my shipping box, they had the paper I filled out and for intake it says "Cold Air Intake" Is this a mistake or is the what they call the OEM intake?

4) Help! what do I do :/ nervous I hurt my baby

Last edited by shinerttu; 01-08-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:49 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I had basically the same issues with Bama tunes, WOT pinging like crazy, I tried the race and street tunes and then flashed back to stock and scheduled a dyno tune. This was when I had the Whipple, I think for the most part the issue was that I sent them the strategy code on the sticker (since I didn't have my tuner yet) and that the PCM had been sent to Whipple and flashed with their tune, plus I'm not sure they understood that the 2008 Whipple kit came with a modified airbox rather than a CAI and therefore the MAF had a different map. I didn't pursue getting the tune right with AM since I guessed it would take half a dozen back-and-forths before it would be right and I had a race event coming up that I wanted the speed limiter turned off for.
As far as gas goes, I pretty much only use 91 octane from Chevron or 76, I feel they are better quality than all the others. I've heard that in socal the gas is rarely what the octane rating says, but I've had good luck with 76 and Chevron when traveling through. Good luck with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BAMA tunes keeps pinging for over a year